Linux and NTFS file server

bluestrobe

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2004
I switching a couple machines in my house to Ubuntu here next month, maybe sooner. My main file/data/backup server is a Win2k3 box with all NTFS drives. What would need to be done to the Linux boxes to let them see the shared drives on the file server and access/read/change those files. The easiest route is the prefered one as I am still learning the Linux OS.

I can see the server on the network with my laptop but it errors when trying to access it.

lousydood

Aug 1, 2005
Presumably you are sharing the files with Windows Networking?

Then install the program 'samba'. I'm sure Ubuntu has packages for all that.

cleverhandle

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2001
NTFS has nothing to do with anything here. The data goes out over the network, via SMB/CIFS, so the clients don't care what the server's disk looks like. Ubuntu has Samba, no need to look. It should all get set up by default. Just click Computer->Network once you're in GNOME.

bluestrobe

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2004
I knew about the computer>network and all of my computers are listed there with the proper names and all. The problem is I click on any of them and I get the same error for all. First paragraph is going on about security and the second paragraph tells me to "rename it to the correct extension for "x-directory/smb share" to open the file normally". I don't know what to rename it to to make it work.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Have you taken care of the usual common username/password on both server and client?

bluestrobe

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2004
I overlooked that part. You need to to enter the login/pw to access the server(win2k3) and theres no way to disable the feature. How would I get to the prompt in Linux?

At this point all I see when i open the network box is the icons with the windows names.

bluestrobe

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2004
So I have to mount each share folder in Linux every time I use it? I want to access 10+ share folders so this could be time consuming. The instructions also state you can not write any files from Ubuntu which I kind of need to do

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Generally yes, you have to mount anything before it's usable. There are some exceptions, like if you use the SMB:// URLs in Gnome apps but then that limits you to only Gnome apps since it's not mounted like normal.

And yea, you can write to SMB/CIFS shares just fine in Linux.

thehstrybean

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2004
Originally posted by: bluestrobe
So I have to mount each share folder in Linux every time I use it? I want to access 10+ share folders so this could be time consuming. The instructions also state you can not write any files from Ubuntu which I kind of need to do

You can, you just change the file permissions to 0666 (for full read/write access)...and you can set up ubuntu to launch all your shares at startup. I think it's in the rc.local file...I'll have to double check that.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
You can, you just change the file permissions to 0666 (for full read/write access)...and you can set up ubuntu to launch all your shares at startup. I think it's in the rc.local file...I'll have to double check that.

Changing permissions on a mounted SMB/CIFS share won't work like you expect, you need to pass the uid,gid,mask to the mount command if you mount them as root to set the right permissons. And rc.local is a startup script that can do anything, it doesn't have any direct correlation to mounting anything.

dhaddox

Oct 9, 1999

Not as such. smb4k is a pretty handy app.

bluestrobe

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2004
I just switched to Kubuntu which IMHO is a lot friendlier on the eyes. I'll play with shares tomorrow.

gwag

Feb 25, 2004

just mount the whole drive in your server....c$ OR D$ or whatever.

bluestrobe

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2004
Originally posted by: gwag

just mount the whole drive in your server....c$ OR D$ or whatever.

I prefer not to share whole drives. I already have the directories the way I want/need them and would prefer to go right to them rather than have to click through folders each time.

bluestrobe

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2004
Since my install with Kubuntu, it has picked up everything as Windows would. The sn/pw dialog popped up and with the information entered, it let me right in.