Linus Torvalds shows the finger to Nvidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimpr

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2007
Linus Torvalds Gives Nvidia the Finger. Literally

aoo0o7.jpg

Linux creator Linus Torvalds isn’t happy with Nvidia. And he wants you to know it.

Late last week, at a hacker meetup in Finland, Torvalds laid into Nvidia, calling it “the single worst company” the Linux developer community has ever dealt with, complaining that the chipmaker doesn’t do as much as it could to ensure that its hardware plays nicely with his open source operating system. He even turned to the camera filming the event, flipped the company the proverbial bird, and dropped the proverbial F bomb.

“Nvidia, fuck you,” he said, as the room erupted with applause and laughter.

Nvidia did not immediately respond to a request for comment. But the chipmaker does offer Linux drivers for its hardware in some cases, and it offers a support page on its website for questions involving Linux.

Twenty years after creating Linux, Torvalds still oversees development of the operating system’s core code, and many still look to him a spokesman for the Linux community as a whole — though many others think his opinion is relatively unimportant now that so many businesses and individual developers are behind the widely used OS. In any case, he has never been one to hold back his opinion.

His Nvidia rant came after an audience member told Torvalds she had purchased a Nvidia graphics card two years earlier and that she had to build her own software drivers for using the card with Linux and push into the main Linux software code on her own. “We’re all playing in the same sandbox,” she said. “Why can’t we be nice to each other?”

“I know exactly what you’re talking about,” Torvalds told her, before complaining that Nvidia was making a greater effort with Google’s Android Mobile operating system, which is based on Linux. “Nvidia has been one of the worst trouble spots we’ve had with hardware manufacturers. And that’s really sad because Nvidia tries to sell chips, a lot of chips, into the Android market. And Nvidia has been the single worst company we’ve ever dealt with.”

Then he turned to the camera.

After dropping the F-bomb, Torvalds did temper his comments, saying that Nvidia isn’t the only company that’s not treating Linux as he would like. “Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying other companies are perfect,” he said. “They don’t feel Linux is a big enough market…. We can’t do anything about it. It’s life.”

Then he took a bit of shot at Microsoft — the historical rival of Linux. He said that Linux is the only operating system that uses the same kernel across all devices — and that this includes Microsoft Windows. “Nobody has ever done that before,” he said. “[Microsoft] claims they’re trying to [create a single kernel with] Windows 8. They’re lying. They’re not. They’re full of shit.”

For many years, Microsoft treated Linux as its mortal enemy. But in recent years, it has worked to play nicely with the OS and other open source software. Earlier this month, Redmond announced that it will now let developers run Linux on its Windows Azure cloud service.

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/06/torvalds-nvidia-linux/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWzMvlj2RQ

Last edited:

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
Does anyone really even care about Linux? I know i dont
A few companies/organizations/devices using Linux that you may have heard of.
  • Google
  • IBM
  • New York Stock Exchange
  • Wikipedia
  • U.S. Department of Defense
  • U.S. Navy
  • Federal Aviation Administration
  • U.S. Postal Service
  • Panasonic
  • Cisco
  • Amazon
  • Toyota
  • Sony Playstation
  • NASA
  • Yahoo
  • Disney
  • Pixar
  • Garmin
  • Digital Domain (visual effects)

Not to mention most every ISP, your router uses Linux, at least 80% of supercomputers are on Linux. The list is endless. So you may like to stick your head in the sand and not care, but Linux is the foundation of a connected world.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
A few companies/organizations/devices using Linux that you may have heard of.
  • Google
  • IBM
  • New York Stock Exchange
  • Wikipedia
  • U.S. Department of Defense
  • U.S. Navy
  • Federal Aviation Administration
  • U.S. Postal Service
  • Panasonic
  • Cisco
  • Amazon
  • Toyota
  • Sony Playstation
  • NASA
  • Yahoo
  • Disney
  • Pixar
  • Garmin
  • Digital Domain (visual effects)

Not to mention most every ISP, your router uses Linux, at least 80% of supercomputers are on Linux. The list is endless. So you may like to stick your head in the sand and not care, but Linux is the foundation of a connected world.

Geez, but my gaamz no play!

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Games are important to some people

Plus where's adobe on that list?

The list is endless? Seems like it ends with very little games support and no adobe.

This guy can give the finger to Nvidia all he wants, but what Nvidia makes money from doesn't necessarily require Linux to be there.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Adobe.com runs Apache. ;)

ok but that wasn't what I said. Adobe is dropping or has dropped support for Linux with Flash and tells people either use chrome or forget flash. Photoshop doesn't support linux and their professional apps have no linux version. That's what I was talking about.

Have they considered that the market share isn't there for consumers?

Last edited:

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
ok but that wasn't what I said. Adobe is dropping or has dropped support for Linux with Flash and tells people either use chrome or forget flash. Photoshop doesn't support linux and their professional apps have no linux version. That's what I was talking about.
I understand that. My point is, there are people that are highly myopic and fail to understand how important Linux actually is in their daily lives. For the desktop sure, I myself use Windows exclusively including many Adobe products. I have a Linux box that I use as a learning tool but I can't see using it as my regular system, the software selection is just not there.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
If you enjoy electricity you should LOVE Linux. Most Utilities are heavily Linux based in their Generation and Transmission areas.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The problem I have is this guy seems mad at Nvidia because they don't care about his toys and don't want to play with him.

Nvidia IMO is going where the money is and Linux has very little for them. That's just my thinking and it could be wrong, but I don't see Nvidia wanting to use very many resources for a platform with very little consumer marketshare and not much in the way of professional application support.

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011
The problem I have is this guy seems mad at Nvidia because they don't care about his toys and don't want to play with him.

Nvidia IMO is going where the money is and Linux has very little for them. That's just my thinking and it could be wrong, but I don't see Nvidia wanting to use very many resources for a platform with very little consumer marketshare and not much in the way of professional application support.

Android and tegra are friend you know...

Piano Man

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000

Nvidia cares very much about his toys. They use it to make a lot of money without (seemingly per Linus) doing anything in return. I know most Win guys don't get this, but the only way for open source to work is to help the products that you use. Something wrong with it? Right a bug report. Modified something that makes it better? Perhaps share your code with the community. These are small things, but this crowd sourcing is what makes *nix so great. Who would have thought that Apple would be getting smoked in devices activated in such a short amount of time by Android (a linux fork). That's the power of crowd sourcing. Its cheap, effective, robust, evolving, and it lets people take ownership.

Now, what I do find entertaining about this whole nV issue, is that nvidia actually has probably the most mature drivers for linux BY FAR (from my experience with RHEL/CentOS/Fedora).

Status
Not open for further replies.