Linksys WRT54G router cannot find internet connection during setup.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
I just got this router and as per instructions, I'm trying to install the software before connecting the router. Anyways, on the setup screen, it says that it will search for an internet connection and when I click "Next", it cannot find any. It gives me an error message saying that "This computer is not connected to the Internet". This is weird because at the same time I'm surfing the web and talking on AIM. What gives? :confused:

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: amdskip
What software? Just login into the router and configure it.

I'm a real noob in networking, and even worse in wireless networking. The box has stickers all around it saying "DO NOT CONNECT ROUTER BEFORE INSTALLING THE CD" :) It even has a sticker on the back of the router on the ports asking me if I installed the cd. It won't cause any trouble?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I installed mine last night and I had this problem at first. I unplugged my modem and left it unplugged for a half min before plugging back in and finally it found it.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I installed mine last night and I had this problem at first. I unplugged my modem and left it unplugged for a half min before plugging back in and finally it found it.

That's weird, I'll try that. Thanks Skoorb :)

Slowlearner

Mar 20, 2000
If the router is not connected, how can it find a internet connection? There is no software to install. While I am not familiar with this router, I would guess that the CD will probably open a browser window to configure the router.

The router does need to be configured. It needs to know if you are using fixed IPs (static) or will it be assigning IPs (dynamic), second it will need to know how to get DNS server settings, and third if there is MAC address authentication etc. involved. Individual PCs connecting to router may also need to be re-configured. So browse the CD and read the intall instructions first

The simplest thing is to turn the modem off, connect the the router's WAN port to it, then the indiv PC connecting to the router. Turn on the modem first, then router then the PCs. It might be good idea to browse your ISP's site and see if they have any special requirements.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Cable/DSL....?

Since you seem to be online somehow, my AIM is: el goosemaster

It's an ethernet connection, coming from the plug on my wall :) I had a Microsoft Router and had no problems with it but B is old school you know, I want G ;) So no cable modems are involved, neither is DSL.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Slowlearner
If the router is not connected, how can it find a internet connection? There is no software to install. While I am not familiar with this router, I would guess that the CD will probably open a browser window to configure the router.

The router does need to be configured. It needs to know if you are using fixed IPs (static) or will it be assigning IPs (dynamic), second it will need to know how to get DNS server settings, and third if there is MAC address authentication etc. involved. Individual PCs connecting to router may also need to be re-configured. So browse the CD and read the intall instructions first

The simplest thing is to turn the modem off, connect the the router's WAN port to it, then the indiv PC connecting to the router. Turn on the modem first, then router then the PCs. It might be good idea to browse your ISP's site and see if they have any special requirements.

Its not the router thats looking for an internet connection, even on the software setup CD, it says do not connect your router (but make sure this computer is connected to the internet) while setup searches for your internet connection and then it cannot find it.

PC Freak

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2000
1) remove that silly software that comes with the router.

2) unplug the WAN cable from the Linksys

3) plug your pc into one of the lan ports unless it's wireless.

4)Open IE and type in 192.168.1.1 user & pass are both admin

5)Disable DHCP

6) plug your WAN cable coming from your DSL/cable modem into one of the 4 LAN ports.

7) go to CMD prompt and type ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew

see if everthing is ok..

If it's still not ok then, connect back up to the router and selected your Internet Connection type. and the plug your WAN cable back into the WAN port

If you still have problems, here are a few question.

How do you connect to the internet now, physically.
Is your ISP's modem making the connection via PPoE or are you doing it on your PC

Sry, i'm pretty tired. 12.45am

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: PC_Freak
1) remove that silly software that comes with the router.

2) unplug the WAN cable from the Linksys

3) plug your pc into one of the lan ports unless it's wireless.

4)Open IE and type in 192.168.1.1 user & pass are both admin

5)Disable DHCP

6) plug your WAN cable coming from your DSL/cable modem into one of the 4 LAN ports.

7) go to CMD prompt and type ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew

see if everthing is ok..

If it's still not ok then, connect back up to the router and selected your Internet Connection type. and the plug your WAN cable back into the WAN port

If you still have problems, here are a few question.

How do you connect to the internet now, physically.
Is your ISP's modem making the connection via PPoE or are you doing it on your PC

Sry, i'm pretty tired. 12.45am

Ok, I'll try those and report back :D Thanks!

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
access router using browser. use manual that came with router. if your internet connection uses pppoe or whatever enter login info...
you must read the manuals. your isp should tell you how to connect too the net. some use pppoe, other auto whatever. its not always plug and play

imported_Debaser

Feb 3, 2005
im having the same problem. i try puting in the 192.168.1.1 when the router is plugged in from my computer but it doesnt work. this happened with an edimax router as well, and its still doing it after i reformatted