Linksys router sucks! Whats the best replacement?

rebood

Oct 13, 2000
I have the 4 port switch Linksys router. What a piece of garbage. Thing need to be unplugged and plugged back in all the time. The DMZ mode works for crap, I get dropped/kicked all the time from online gaming cause of it, even though I have my gaming machine setup as the DMZ. Also tried port forwarding and that doesn't work. It seems the router likes to lockup when ever there alot of 'network traffic', meaning if I am downloading a file at 80k and uploading at 20k simultaneously. The firmware upgrades don't help.

So I am looking for a replacement and it seems most if not all review sites never have anything really bad to say about any router/switch on the market so I am going to count on you guys to point me in the right direction.

I have limited my choices to the SMC Barricade, Netgear, or the D-Link. Any recommendations or horror stories would be greatly appreciated. Also any other brands/models that any would would recommend would be nice. A stable router/switch thats does what advertised is what I am looking for, the Linksys doesn't offer that. Thanks in advance!

BuckMaster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Grin,

I just finished installing my new Netgear RT314 today. I flashed it to the lastest and greatest Firmware also. I have 3 computer all on the net and I just had some friends over and played some Lan games without a problem. Also running it at 100MBPS. His thing rocks!

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Weird how hte linksys turn to crap.. luckily I was pointed to the SMC baby... very nice piece of hardware.

NOSOUP4U

Dec 19, 1999
When I first got it... everything was smooth. And it would disconnect once in a while. Now my connection drops at least a couple times a day. It's starting to get annoying... WTF is going on.

I got this router because Anandtech reviewed it first and recommended it. And so does a lot of other sites, but I guess they dont know that in a few months, this router turns to crap...

Argh....

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've had a similar problem with the Linksys router lately....It does seem to drop out (I'm on cable if that matters) with a heavy volume of traffic. I finally ordered a SMC router to replace the Linksys but the SMC was (for whatever reason) much slower than the Linksys at most everyday items (Web pages, Ftp, etc) with the exception of file transfer...File Transfer was the same..??? I spent a few days trying to get it up to speed, but I couldn't. My wife noticed it so much that even she complained of the speed (We're all spoiled now compared to Dialup, aren't we ;)). I returned the SMC and may take a look at the D-link or the Netgear units...The Linksys router has not locked up for a few days now, so I don't know what's up with the thing...
I only hope they fix the firmware problems soon!

Good Luck!

Trashman

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2000
I'm curious.....Do you guys shutdown your "Router" or do ya leave them on 24-7?
When I first got my Linksys, I left mine all the time and then shortly after that I noticed that "disconnect" feeling, and had to reset the router to connect again, so I started shuting down the Router every night and has been fine for the last month i'd say.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Trashman,

My router runs 24/7, but I also run programs that access the net 24/7...A router should never have to be reset on a daily (or more) basis. I know that this is not a commercial grade router, but other brands don't seem to have the nagging RESET problem of the Linksys...It appears only under heavy loads (i.e. Mine locks up if all 3 PC's in the house are trying to download or streaming music at the same time...It doesn't always lock up then, but when it does lock up, those are the conditions that causes it)..

Good Luck all!

I hope a new firmware someday will fix this...otherwise, I may check out the Netgear or D-Link router...

Spiff

Oct 10, 1999
The only connection problems I have seen have been due to RoadRunner. So far the Linksys has been doing its job well for several months.

HEUGE

Oct 1, 2000
I have experience with three these units.

The first was installed for my parent's Cable Modem configuration, where it is still running fine for the past 3/4 months without any software upgrades. They are obviously low-traffic.

The second was purchased as a temporary measure while we were awaiting our CP Firewall-1 installation. This unit worked fine most of the time, but we had random lockups at times, some due to a poor-quality network provider and another due to the linksys. At one point in the first month of usage it died and could not be reset. This was promptly exchanged at CompUSA, and the third unit started its new life. With this third unit, I installed the most recent software revision at the time, and it worked flawlessly until we installed CheckPoint. While it didn't have VPN capabilities directly, it certainly was a steal for <$200.00 compared with $20,000 worth of software (Firewall-1). A coworker is now using the second box as his cable connection from home for 4 computers, and it works flawlessly.

I will pick one up shortly, unless someone can really give me a better alternative.

Akash

Jun 17, 2000
ok it seems like you all need a router that runs 247 365 and doesnt disconnect your.. the best thing is the NETOPIA R9100 its so bad ass... it does every thing you need it to do and more.. it also has a vpn so if you need to access your network from the internet it cna be done so... its the bomb i havent had ne problems with it.. it also has the option to dialup if your broadband connection goes down to give you a constant connection

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
I've been running a Linksys 1 port for 3 months now and not a single reset. It is connected to an older (3 years old) Linksys 10Mb hub and runs 24/7. No a single problem with it, I'm quite happy.

Grant

Oct 9, 1999
I've beeen running the linksys for 7 months now and no problems at all. It has been on 24/7.

emjem

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2000
From http://www.dalantech.com/linksys-dsl.shtml

=======================================================================
&quot;It seems that if the cable company bounces the node, the router loses its connection with the WAN and you have to power cycle the router to get your network back on line with the Internet. Perhaps it is a bug that could be fixed in future firmware releases.&quot;
========================================================================

This site has a couple of more useful tips for those of you stuck with a Linksys router.

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
I bought a heavy duty timer and set it so that it turn on 5:30PM 1 hour before I come back and turns off around 1AM... So my modem and router goes on the same strip and doesn't stay on and heat up during day time.

rebood

Oct 13, 2000
Ok, i ordered the SMC Barricade from buy.com today. So I will see how it works. I got it for $153 -$30 rebate and another $20 from SMC so it was $110 shipped. Alot less than the Linksys i bought in June, paid $150 if I remember right. Will let you all know how it goes, thanks for all the input.

R0b0tN1k

Jun 14, 2000
My Linksys gate would disconnect frequently...it was a known problem and seemed to only apply to my ISP. The latest 1.35 firmware fixed the problem and I've been up for a long time. Now it only disconnects when the ISP's stuff goes screwey or they perform upgrades. I've had it crash a few times, which just requiures a reset, but I'm happy now. The port-range forwarding is vey useful too!

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I am now trying the Netgear RT-314 router after sending the SMC router back to Buy.com...The SMC router worked great, as far as connections go, but the speed was much below that of the Linksys for some reason...I'm not bashing the SMC because it seemed a solid product, only slow enough to notice for myself and others....

The NetGear has been very solid so far...Very fast but much more confusing than the Linksys to set up (Come on NetGear, look at the setup of others...DOH!)...But I've had no problems with speed or other problems so far! We'll see...I have 10 days to return it ;)...

Good Luck all!

(P.S. The reason I'm not happy with the Linksys is the 1 to 3 times disconnection I get from @home per day that require a router reset with the Reset button....Otherwise, solid product..)

Trashman

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2000
Engineer...I hear ya with the Netgear, I had gotten the RT311, and had a very hard time setting that thing up, Netgear maybe better than the Linksys, but for your average joe you can't beat the friendly interface of the Linksys. I hope you have better luck with the Netgear.

Minh716

Apr 23, 2000
I have the Linksys 4port router also.. Right now it seems to be having a lot of problems. worked fine a couple days ago.. Couldn't it be the Provider that has problems? BTW my provider is Pacific Bell.

Aybara

Sep 23, 2000
I have a linksys hub and a second IP from the cable co. I never have problems with it.

BTW would I get a faster connection with a router? I don't know all that much about networking. Thinking of goin to school for it.

frostgiant

Jun 19, 2000
No, a router wouldn't improve speed. We use our Linksys Routers to connect multiple computers to the same connection w/o a proxy / NAT dedicated machine.

rebood

Oct 13, 2000
Well I got the SMC Barricade today. Hooked it up and low and behold everything worked as it should. I don't get dropped from games anymore. No slowdowns from 'heavy traffic' and its actaully smaller and more compact than the linksys model. I am pleasently happy so far :D