Question Linksys MR9000

CyberRyan

Nov 13, 2021
Hello,

I have an issue with my Linksys MR9000 Max-Stream AC3000 Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 5 Router when I set it up and it was working fine. However, when my brother and the kids came over, everyone logged on to the Wifi and started streaming and playing Xbox multiplayer games, and then the wifi and the cable modem went offline repeatedly. I wasn't sure which one went offline first but I'm gonna assume the cable modem was kicked offline because it couldn't handle the router's speed? So what should I do? Do I need to upgrade my internet service plan? Speed test is at 200 Mbps DL and UL is 11.58 Mbps. So, let me know what you think I should do. P.S. I should let you know this router allows up to 25 devices. I had like 11 devices connected. And the cable modem's brand and model is: Arris TG1672

Thanks!

Ryan

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
could be a bad cable, could be the router is overheating from to much use. Put a fan on the router / modem if that doesn't help try a new coax / ethernet that connects the router / modem.

what does the modem look like when it is "offline" the green led's start flashing and are not solid / blue?

CyberRyan

Nov 13, 2021
could be a bad cable, could be the router is overheating from to much use. Put a fan on the router / modem if that doesn't help try a new coax / ethernet that connects the router / modem.

what does the modem look like when it is "offline" the green led's start flashing and are not solid / blue?

I could have mentioned that the MR9000 Linksys router is brand new (I was replacing my very old Linksys router that doesn't get any more new firmware updates). So, when I installed it and configured it and it was working fine for just two people using the internet/streaming online / gaming but when my brother and his kids came over, that's when the internet connectivity got lost. I had a feeling it might have been the cable modem. Too much bandwidth going through the modem causes it to go offline. I have never thought about replacing the ethernet cable. I will replace it and see how it does.

When the modem got kicked offline, it shows the LEDs flashing, and then it reconnects successfully and then everyone gets back, 15 to 30 minutes later, the modem got kicked offline again. It does that repeatedly on and off on and off.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Does anyone of them bring notebook that's probably running torrents in the background?

It's usually too many connections/ports open to cause modem/router to freak out, not just saturated traffic.

It's hard to troubleshoot if you don't have anything to monitor traffic.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Does anyone of them bring notebook that's probably running torrents in the background?

It's usually too many connections/ports open to cause modem/router to freak out, not just saturated traffic.

you really think the Linksys mr9000 and Arris TG1672 cant handle a torrent being downloaded?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
you really think the Linksys mr9000 and Arris TG1672 cant handle a torrent being downloaded?
Who knows? Probably the router has memory leaks? Did OP update the firmware?

Or probably the power adapter overheated or did not supply steady power? Or like what you suggested, the router overheated.

Nowadays many electronics devices use borderline components and manufacturers don't do good QC jobs.

Last edited:
Reactions: killster1

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007

Or probably the power adapter overheated or did not supply steady power? Or like what you suggested, the router overheated.

Nowadays many electronics devices use borderline components and manufacturers don't do good QC jobs.
I was hoping the opposite, that a new router (ya its only 120-180$ but that is a good amount) would be great. if the router was the issue would the modem go offline and then reconnect? I feel like a RMA of the modem or purchase another modem that you can return from amazon to rule it out, use a new cable, ask over your family and friends to recreate the issue :)

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
The torrent thing is a good check because torrents open tons of connections and saturate not just the bandwidth but the network devices cpu/memory.

Cable is a good check too.

CyberRyan

Nov 13, 2021

No, my family and I are not downloading torrents.

CyberRyan

Nov 13, 2021

The Linksys MR9000 had one firmware update so far, Version 1. No new firmware update yet. It's a brand new router, paid close to $250 for it. I don't think the new router was overheating but my cable modem was really hot.

CyberRyan

Nov 13, 2021
I was hoping the opposite, that a new router (ya its only 120-180$ but that is a good amount) would be great. if the router was the issue would the modem go offline and then reconnect? I feel like a RMA of the modem or purchase another modem that you can return from amazon to rule it out, use a new cable, ask over your family and friends to recreate the issue :)

I have purchased brand new ethernet cables and will try to recreate the issue. I am definitely will ask Spectrum for a newer modem. I may upgrade my internet speed to 1 Gigabit. I am currently on the 200Mbps Internet Plan.

Reactions: killster1

CyberRyan

Nov 13, 2021
The torrent thing is a good check because torrents open tons of connections and saturate not just the bandwidth but the network devices cpu/memory.

Cable is a good check too.

Not using torrents. But recently purchased new ethernet cables and will check to see that solve the problem.

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
There are ethernet cables, there are no internet cables. :)

Cable either works or doesn't work. There is no way it works for 30 minutes then stops working. You can't reset a cable.

==

MR9000 does have newer firmware after it's been released on the market.

Manufacturer doesn't necessarily will flash newest firmware on just shipped products.

Check if your router is on v1.1.2.200408

Last edited:

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007

Cable either works or doesn't work. There is no way it works for 30 minutes then stops working. You can't reset a cable.

==

Manufacturer doesn't necessarily will flash newest firmware on just shipped products.

a coax can be a internet cable, a ethernet can be a internet cable ;) should have said don't get a new cable if think it couldn't be a issue. i think it cant be the router if the modem is the one resetting the router would just slow to a crawl and look like its working when it dies but the modem will reset and pop back online. kinda doesnt sound like a cable issue if its only when in high use i agree..

CyberRyan

Nov 13, 2021

==

Thanks for the links. When I get my ethernet cables tomorrow, I will set up my new router again and try it out and will check which firmware version I have. I'm currently using my old router as of now.

CyberRyan

Nov 13, 2021

==

I got my ethernet cables today and hooked them up on my new router. Checked the firmware version on my router and it is v1.1.2.200408. We will see if it caused the same issue. I noticed my mom's iPad and iPhone signal is low on the router. It looks like I need to look into getting Linksys Velops to boost the signal.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
I got my ethernet cables today and hooked them up on my new router. Checked the firmware version on my router and it is v1.1.2.200408. We will see if it caused the same issue. I noticed my mom's iPad and iPhone signal is low on the router. It looks like I need to look into getting Linksys Velops to boost the signal.
Just because the signal level indicator on the status bar of the device doesn't mean it's low signal. Would have to actually check the Dbmv of the connection. Several apps are able to do that, wifi analyzer can show you the levels and channels along with other networks in the area, think apartments.
That being said, a 5Ghz 3 bar connection should still have more throughput than a 5 bar 2.4Ghz connection.
Only mentioning this to save you money on extenders you may not need.

Next question is, what ISP? Are you rural or in a city? It could be CMTS over utilization, are you on Docsis 3.0 or 3.1?

edit: Does your modem connect to a wallplate connection or a straight coax wire from the point of entry into the home? Is there a splitter? Is the coax connector loose? Unscrew it and look if there is any aluminum braiding wrapped around the center conductor, has the coax been crushed, pinched or kinked? Is the foam dielectric flush at the bottom or does it look "sucked out? Are you able to log into the modem GUI to see it's signal levels?

Last edited:
Reactions: mxnerd

CyberRyan

Nov 13, 2021
Just because the signal level indicator on the status bar of the device doesn't mean it's low signal. Would have to actually check the Dbmv of the connection. Several apps are able to do that, wifi analyzer can show you the levels and channels along with other networks in the area, think apartments.
That being said, a 5Ghz 3 bar connection should still have more throughput than a 5 bar 2.4Ghz connection.
Only mentioning this to save you money on extenders you may not need.

Next question is, what ISP? Are you rural or in a city? It could be CMTS over utilization, are you on Docsis 3.0 or 3.1?

edit: Does your modem connect to a wallplate connection or a straight coax wire from the point of entry into the home? Is there a splitter? Is the coax connector loose? Unscrew it and look if there is any aluminum braiding wrapped around the center conductor, has the coax been crushed, pinched or kinked? Is the foam dielectric flush at the bottom or does it look "sucked out? Are you able to log into the modem GUI to see it's signal levels?

My ISP is Spectrum and I am currently in the City. I have no idea if I am on DCSIS 3.0 or 3.1. I have tried numerous ways to get access to my Cable Modem. Struggling to find the gateway IP while on my Mac Laptop connected to WiFi. So I connected my PC straight to my modem and found the gateway IP but it did not bring up the Arris GUI login page however I tried the 192.168.0.1 (like the Arris Manual said) and it would not let me connect to the login page. So, I don't know why the IPs don't work. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Ryan

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
My ISP is Spectrum and I am currently in the City. I have no idea if I am on DCSIS 3.0 or 3.1. I have tried numerous ways to get access to my Cable Modem. Struggling to find the gateway IP while on my Mac Laptop connected to WiFi. So I connected my PC straight to my modem and found the gateway IP but it did not bring up the Arris GUI login page however I tried the 192.168.0.1 (like the Arris Manual said) and it would not let me connect to the login page. So, I don't know why the IPs don't work. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Ryan
This is because of the CMTS (cable modem termination system) setup. Ours is similar.
Once the modem is provisioned onto the network, it will not allow you to access the modem GUI. This is how ours works (Mediacom) That being said, on ours, you could disconnect it from the coax cable, and factory reset it. Hold the pin hole reset button in for 30+ seconds, and that will factory default it.
Then you should be able to enter the GUI from the Arris docs. Here's the catch 22.

Whatever changes you can make in there, will get wiped out once you connect the coax to it. (Most likely) You also wont be able to see signal levels, but you may be able to see what it is capable of, such as 8-32 bonded downstream channels and 4+ upstream, or if it is OFDM capable it would for sure be D3.1 compatible.

Now on ours, if factory reset, once it is connected back to the network, it will start initializing and downloading the configuration file, where it will tell it to disable GUI access (for example) and also tell it what speeds to allow what power to transmit and if the return channels need to be pre distorted to be able to hit the CMTS with 0Dbmv and what timing offset it will use.

Sorry this is way out into the weeds on how the cable/ Docsis systems work. I also apologize if I am confusing more than helping.

On our system, once reset it will load up the defaults, so you will see the factory wifi networks, the ones on the label on the bottom/back of unit if it is a combo device. then it will load in your wifi settings that you either had setup during install, or changed yourself through our user interface for customers. (I don't know if spectrum is the same) probably similar.

Edit: Sorry I am going to make this worse. If your ISP uses Node+1 then you can have several nodes on your particular port, and return path noise from another node can cause issues across every node on that port. (I got called out tonight 30 minutes after being home for this, because the oncall supervisors modem kept dropping speeds and connection. It was noise on the return path from another node miles away causing the errors on the port which affected his node.

Almost all if not all Cable Companies are Hybrid Fiber Coax Networks. Where Enterprise customers can get fiber to the premises.

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
at command prompt run "tracert 8.8.8.8"

you should see first ip address in 192.168.x.x range, and that ip is your modem/gateway ip.

you have to find login info yourself.

fkoehler

Feb 29, 2008
I'm a little confused about where you said the router and the modem went down.

With a dieing modem, I could see it packing it up when hot, and going down. However, I would expect the router to stay up, wifi stay up, just no packets being transferred.
If your wireless actually went down, then even though the modem may be hot, it doesn't sound like the problem.
But then later you said something about knowing the modem goes down with high throughput.....

Were it me, I'd stick a laptop or desktop on the modem and try to max out the modem for 30-60 minutes with large/multiple downloads. Of course, I'd run off of a Linux Live usb drive, with my hd's disconnected unless your firewall-fu is strong.

If you can make it trip, then replacing the modem would be the first thing to fix.
Once replaced, do the same thing again through the router and verify the router isn't also defective maybe.

CyberRyan

Nov 13, 2021
at command prompt run "tracert 8.8.8.8"

you should see first ip address in 192.168.x.x range, and that ip is your modem/gateway ip.

you have to find login info yourself.

I did that and it's showing only my wireless router IP address as the first IP address. Maybe I should try it without the WiFi connection. However, since I got the brand new Ethernet cables, I do not have any problems with the modem getting kicked offline.