Question Linksys Linksys MX5 Velop AX Whole Home WiFi 6 System aka AX5300

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Since I have “zero” knowledge on modern wireless routers and those that of modern modems in association with broadband ISP and DSL(phone wires), I pick the most expensive wifi 6 mesh router out there. My home is a split entry 2,600 square ft home where the main floor is used for living in with the laundry room has an internet connected TV too.
There are 3 bedrooms, family room, kitchen, a separate bathroom, living room on the main floor around 1,800 square feet in a square shape house plan.

My wifi speed has gone down from 70-80mps when first installed with the new CenturyLink modem/router to now 25-30mps. I already spend considerable time troubleshooting by way of telephone and chat support. Still the same speed. I upgraded my service to a 150mps small businesses line when I purchased the C2100Z. Technical support want to send a service technician at $95 a call/1st hour and them additional labor after that! I think the wifi portion of the modem/wifi is now not working right. Century link has schedule a technician to trouble shoot it from the outside but if he comes inside, it is $95+! If he finds my modem/router is the problem, it is additional $200.00!

webdam.web.1000.1000.jpeg

Linksys MX5 Velop AX Whole Home WiFi 6 System aka AX5300

https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-MX5300/

Anybody knowledgable about networking gear please tell me what you think! It is very pricey since it double the cost of my CenturyLink Zyxel C2100Z that is around 4 years old.

Last edited:

Eric Fazekas

Jun 27, 2017
If you have a laptop with a NIC you can plug directly into your modem and check your speed. This will take out all of the other hops along the way. Use the same cable you're using now to go from your modem to the first velop router.

If you're getting close to your max bandwidth plugged into the modem then I'd work my way out. If not, maybe your ethernet cable is the problem.

I have the older version of the Velop system and found it to be pretty rock solid for the last three or four years.

Reactions: Harry_Wild

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I own a Velop system. I got it from Woot.com, refurbished. It's actually pretty decent, but some people have claimed it was causing issues with their top end speed.

I have a 3600 house and 3 nodes. I made a triangle with my nodes to guarantee they can talk to each other on 5ghz as a backplane. They work ok, but haven't gotten picky with the speed tests because I don't trust my ISP to provide more than 20-40Mbps down.

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Some question I have:

1. Can anybody tell me what will happen if I used a 2 pack mesh wifi 6 kit that can cover 6,000 sq. foot but my house is only 2,600 sq. feet in size?

2.If I buy a 3 pack TP Link Deco X60 is reviewed as slow on a gigbit line but my line is only 140mps? Will it still be slow compare to faster mesh kit routers that are tested using 1 gigbit line?

Last edited:

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
02My2k3OdGaIc1rrau1hbSk-9.1590781754.fit_scale.size_1600x900.jpg

Thinking about getting the Asus ZenWiFi AX (XT8) now or

webdam.web.372.372.jpeg

Linksys Velop AX4200 WiFi 6 Whole Home Mesh System 2 Package System(MX8400C)

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
I am leaning towards the Asus ZenWiFi AX (XT8) 2 pack!

Try to wait patiently to see if it going on sale for Black Friday!

Last edited:

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
I must of accidentally ordered the Linksys Velop AX4200 WiFi 6 Whole Home Mesh System 2 Package System(MX8400C) since it was at my doorstep. Decided to test it out tomorrow!

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
1605295341055.png
Model MX8400C
Just got done with setup my Linksys AX4200 Wi-Fi mesh router! Now I get 138 MPS downloads and 30 MPS uploads.:):):):) I was getting only 25-30 MPS download and 19 MPS upload speed. I have a 150MPS small business line from CenturyLink. Very happy especially on my streaming, it instant and no buffering at all! And on web surfing it is also instantaneous too! 1605294502135.png:):):):) Just like that; it sort of like magic! Woweeeeeeee!

Update: Test on my lower floor and it quite excellent too! :):):):)

Last edited:

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
It been a full 24 hours and at night download is now 98 MPS and 19 MPS upload but still better then I have ever experience. Still very happy!

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
It is the 3rd day into my new router and everything is the same; solid streaming of channels, fast web surfing, very enjoyable experience!:)

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
It is the 5th day I continue with my speedtest and the Linksys MX8400C has continue with degrading of Wi-Fi speed. It now in the 60 MPS downloads. I rebooted the router and modem. It increased to 72 MPS. Went to Costco to buy the NetGear 3 pack Model RBK753S-100NAS.

Just set it up and it at 108 MPS. Will check tomorrow!

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Found out that the speedtest apps are faulty! My Linksys is operating like it should. I tested it by doing 4K streaming and the speedtest apps shows 14 to 25 MPS too on both routers.

So, I am back to keeping my Linksys MX8400C after returning my NetGear Orbi AX4200 3 pack, RBK753S-100NAS.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Wish I saw this earlier. I picked up the Velop MX10 over a year ago and upgrade from the AC6600 set. With just two nodes, it greatly outperforms the old setup in every corner of the house and out to the yard. At the farthest points, I can easily get over 400Mbps down and up. Inside the house at a reasonable distance, I can get 600-800Mbps speeds on our iPhones and computers. We now have nearly 10 Wifi 6 devices and in simple testing, the can all get good throughput if running something like speed test at the same time.

For example, this is with my iPhone on my office desk with my desktop and monitors in the path to router which sits on the opposite side of the house.

1605973643471.png

This is in the same room as the node.

1605973775950.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Harry_Wild

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Wish I saw this earlier. I picked up the Velop MX10 over a year ago and upgrade from the AC6600 set. With just two nodes, it greatly outperforms the old setup in every corner of the house and out to the yard. At the farthest points, I can easily get over 400Mbps down and up. Inside the house at a reasonable distance, I can get 600-800Mbps speeds on our iPhones and computers. We now have nearly 10 Wifi 6 devices and in simple testing, the can all get good throughput if running something like speed test at the same time.

For example, this is with my iPhone on my office desk with my desktop and monitors in the path to router which sits on the opposite side of the house.

View attachment 34339

This is in the same room as the node.

View attachment 34341
Wow! A 1 gigabit service! wish that was available in my area! Lucky you! Envious!

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
My Linksys MX8400C still working great! I have ditched all these speedtest apps that were all over the place on download speed. I depend on speedy of how my online surfing is and how solid my 4K streaming is.

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Some question I have:

1. Can anybody tell me what will happen if I used a 2 pack mesh wifi 6 kit that can cover 6,000 sq. foot but my house is only 2,600 sq. feet in size?

2.If I buy a 3 pack TP Link Deco X60 is reviewed as slow on a gigbit line but my line is only 140mps? Will it still be slow compare to faster mesh kit routers that are tested using 1 gigbit line?

Since I have gain a high level of router knowledge now, I going to answer these two question now:

1. It is better to have more wi-fi node sq. football coverage then less. This means the wi-fi units will do a much better job of giving a fast, smooth wi-fi signal.

2. Probably slower since the silicon CPU chips inside are cheaper and slower then the faster more expensive mesh routers. But then, if it fast enough for your tasks, go with the lowest cost mesh that fulfills your current needs.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

OMG no... TPLink Deco are all garbage.
I just wasted a better 3 hours of my life trying to set one up, and its basically, impossible.
Its either you accept factory settings, or you accept factory settings. lol.
Its Apple for Wifi... sigh....

If your really Network newbie, then yeah, i can see it being ok, because again one setting factory preset only.... but if you want a bit more customization, your better off going though the entire access point deployment.

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
OMG no... TPLink Deco are all garbage.
I just wasted a better 3 hours of my life trying to set one up, and its basically, impossible.
Its either you accept factory settings, or you accept factory settings. lol.
Its Apple for Wifi... sigh....

If your really Network newbie, then yeah, i can see it being ok, because again one setting factory preset only.... but if you want a bit more customization, your better off going though the entire access point deployment.
There are two total different setup procedures for the pro network installers who use the web browser to do the setup and that of the buyer/owner, who are instructed to go to their router’s app in iOS or Android mobile devices to do the setup.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
There are two total different setup procedures for the pro network installers who use the web browser to do the setup and that of the buyer/owner, who are instructed to go to their router’s app in iOS or Android mobile devices to do the setup.

Gah... the Android app is like :sob:
User manual is like very very limited.

And web Gui interface is horrible... i remembered why i did not like TPLink and was always in the bottom of my bucket for chinese network brands.

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Gah... the Android app is like :sob:
User manual is like very very limited.

And web Gui interface is horrible... i remembered why i did not like TPLink and was always in the bottom of my bucket for chinese network brands.
I used both Beklin Linksys App and NetGear Orbi App under Apple iOS for both iPhone and iPad. Both operated 100% and was extremely easy to use. Just be patient since it has to process everything and setup the account and the nodes, etc..
It perfect for the beginner since it only 2-4 steps and takes 20 minutes to setup the entire 2-3 node mesh router. 15 minutes is just waiting for the processing!