Line Item Veto revisited

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
I am kinda against it as it stands now. I would be for a line item if it was that a line item veto can be overturned by simple majority but still hold that a full veto needs 2/3 majority.

It still removes the primary means of compromise that allows things to get done in the legislature. Who's going to agree to a deal with other legislators that the president can just remove if he feels like it?

Anyways it doesn't matter. It's massively unconstitutional and a violation of the separation of powers. This argument was settled years ago.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
I don?t think this is a good idea as it opens the door to corruption and abuse where the president can hold ear-marks over the head of congress members for their support on other bills. It also gives the president the power to play favorites or consciously or unconsciously biased toward others.

Besides that did not Obama already say he does not have time to go line by line on bills as he promised he would do during his campaign?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Fern

Won't happen, as Genx has pointed. The line-item veto usurps Congressional Constitutional powers. (I thought Feingold was supposed to be a Constitutional lawyer, why would he pursue this knowing the SCOTUS has already ruled against it?)

because he fixed the problem the Court had with the last line-item veto:
The legislation would enable the president to single out egregious earmarks in bills that arrive on his desk for signature and send these specific items back to Congress for expedited votes on whether to rescind, or cancel, funding for these provisions.

Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: daniel49
Court has 2 new members. perhaps worthy of being revisited?

No, because it's clearly unconstitutional. Congress has the role of writing laws (even if they're just spending bills).

again, they fixed the part the Court had a problem with last time around.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Awful, awful idea. It's a sad statement about Congress when the USSC has to force them to stop giving away their power though. The line item veto is hugely unconstitutional as it basically allows the president editorial control over laws that are written. As others have written, it would help turn the president into a dictator.

This.

We have checks and balances for a very good reason and this is one of the big ones. This country can do a lot of shit to fuck itself up, but the checks and balances that we have in government, while not perfect, is a system which does keep us afloat quite well.