Limitation on how many coins you can use per transaction?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

<< If I have a private company, can't I decide what sort of payment I want?
If I want all money in 1974 pennies, why isn't that legal?
>>

Is it a private company though? It sounds like she's the lunch lady at a public school.

BooneRebel

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001

<< Does anyone know if there is a limitation on number of coins you can use per transaction over the counter before the counter person can legally deny your right to complete the purchase? The cafeteria lady is never nice to me and I thought I'd do my share and I paid for my 225cent lunch in whole with two hundred and twenty five pennies. She gave me a nasty look and told me I can't do that. I told her that's all the money I had today and that each and every penny is a legal tender of the United States of America that is legal for all private and debts.

hehehehe y'all should have seen the look on her face. :D :D :D
>>

Yeah, that's real smart. I suggest you continue to make a point of upsetting people in the food service industry. You're likely to get all kinds of special things served to you (whether you realize it or not!) :)

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
I remember reading somewhere where a guy was pissed at the county so he decided to pay his parking ticket or speeding tickets all in pennies. I believe the court refused to accept them.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

<< well i do know that it is a felony to refuse to accept american currency in this country so i would guess that applies. Aside from that, what is your obsession with paying for lunch these days? >>

LMAO! LINK PLEASE!!!!
Either that, or I'm guilty of countless crimes for offering material trades instead of cash in so many transactions.
It's a free country. If I open a store and say I only accept payment in glass beads, Indian rupees or one-ply toilet paper squares, you'd best come to my shop with the proper goods. Do you really think you can legally compel me to do business with you on the grounds that I don't want any US currency?
I have every right to refuse service to anyone for any reason (as long as it isn't discrimination based on gender, age, race, religion, etc) and there's nothing (legally) you can do about it.

Anyway, this isn't a case of "I'm broke and this is all I could scrounge up for lunch."
This is Jerboy.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< << well i do know that it is a felony to refuse to accept american currency in this country so i would guess that applies. Aside from that, what is your obsession with paying for lunch these days? >>

LMAO! LINK PLEASE!!!!
>>

You might want to read the thread. That, and every other assertion, has already been debunked.

Russ, NCNE

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

<< You might want to read the thread. That, and every other assertion, has already been debunked.

Russ, NCNE
>>

Ooooh sorry to waste your "precious" time. I did read the thread, I just couldn't resist commenting on such a moronic statement.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't make a habit out of pissing off the folks that serve me my food.

Jerboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2001

<< cipher00,

We're not talking about a discrimination case here. We're talking about a smart ass punk kid. I edited my post, though, to clarify.

Bottom line is that "legal tender public and private" does NOT mean that a business has to take it.

Russ, NCNE
>>

Can you verify that a kid at Best Buy register has the right to deny selling item to first person in the line, because he's paying cash. However the person behind him can because he's paying with credit card?

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

<< remember reading somewhere where a guy was pissed at the county so he decided to pay his parking ticket or speeding tickets all in pennies. I believe the court refused to accept them. >>

actually the court did accept it. the guy bought the clerk's a drink ^_^

bonk102

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
i know a lot of places that wont accept rolled money because it is impossible to know if all the money is in the roll unless you crack it open and count it. I have a friend who used to work at a bank, and i remember an "incident" where someone brought in about $100 in rolled quarters, and traded them for cash. Problem was, the people that got these quarters only had about $0.50 worth of quarters as the 2 end ones would be quarters and the rest would be resized washers and such

Jerboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2001

<< I don't know about you, but I wouldn't make a habit out of pissing off the folks that serve me my food. >>

Yeah that's a good point. Probably no biggie at high school cafeteria though since food is pretty much layed out there. They're either already together or they scoop it from a large container before your eyes.

Failing that, I think I'll pay my $7.00 high school library fine with all pennies. Not nice, but I don't like the librarian anywayz. She's always mean to students. The school district is public and I think library fine constitutes as "public debt" :D:D:D:D:D:D. It's a chance to bring in a bucket full of them :)

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
If a free lunch kid buys his snacks with all pennies, can his parents buy him a new BMW with shifting problem and a new digital camera to take pictures of the car with?

Jerboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2001

<< If a free lunch kid buys his snacks with all pennies, can his parents buy him a new BMW with shifting problem and a new digital camera to take pictures of the car with? >>

Nope, if they can, his parents are cheating the system.