Lightning killed my Galaxy Nexus... what to do?

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
I have GSM unlocked Galaxy Nexus. I had it plugged in and it was damaged due to lightning... along with 3k bucks worth of other stuff in my family room. I need to replace the phone. do I replace it with another Galaxy Nexus, or do I get the new Nokia 900? I have always used Android. I have toyed around with windows phones and really liked the interface, but not sure if I would love if I owned a windows phone. I have been down the iphone road, and will not consider them this go round.

I am not unhappy with the nexus. The feel of the phone and screen are awesome, but other than that,the interface just seems blah.

I am buying outright and I am using the phone on ATT. LTE is a non factor in my decision as I don't have it in my area.

Any words of wisdom? other phones to get?

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006
Nokia hasn't put out anything of note in years. I wouldn't even entertain the idea of buying a Nokia.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
If you didn't previously have a smartphone, a good one at that (GN), I would say get the Nokia. But, in your case I'd recommend the HTC One or get another Galaxy Nexus.

Raswan

Jan 29, 2010
HTC One or the Droid Razr Maxx. Personally, I never jumped on the Galaxy bandwagon, and I think we would agree on why.

And Furry Reptile, if you took three minutes to read even one review of the Lumia 900, you'd realize how stupid you sound.

Feb 19, 2001
Nokia hasn't put out anything of note in years. I wouldn't even entertain the idea of buying a Nokia.
Sounds like typical stupid American consumers just because we don't have Nokia phones here.

What? A single-core, last-generation device based on an OS that's never going to take off? Are you joking?
Nokia released hardware based on the OS. A device with those specs for Windows Phone 7 is doing just fine. Not everyone needs a quad core phone to take photos and upload to Facebook. The fact that a similarly powered single core phone on Android stalls and takes forever is pretty pathetic. Anyway, it's a good phone, and when were phones all about horsepower anyway? It seems benches matter MORE in comparing android phones amongst themselves than when people shop for BBs, WP7, or iOS devices...

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
OP, warranty on the GSM Nexus?

Standard warranty on the VZW version is 12 months, might be worth looking into. The Nexus is currently about the best phone out there, with only Exynos SGS2s being better. And even when they get ICS, it'll be so heavily skinned . . . :(
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/warranty/SCH-I515MSAVZW

Definitely wouldn't touch any WP7 device. If you just need a phone for basic smart phone use, snapping quick pictures, etc, you don't need to spend the money on the Lumina 900. Any free on contract smart phone can do those things. Since you originally get the Nexus, I'm assuming you wanted to do more than that.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
OP, warranty on the GSM Nexus?

Standard warranty on the VZW version is 12 months, might be worth looking into. The Nexus is currently about the best phone out there, with only Exynos SGS2s being better. And even when they get ICS, it'll be so heavily skinned . . . :(
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/warranty/SCH-I515MSAVZW

Definitely wouldn't touch any WP7 device. If you just need a phone for basic smart phone use, snapping quick pictures, etc, you don't need to spend the money on the Lumina 900. Any free on contract smart phone can do those things. Since you originally get the Nexus, I'm assuming you wanted to do more than that.

Pretty sure that equipment damage by lightning isn't covered.

If my phone got nuked, I personally wouldn't mind trying out a WP7. You already tried a Galaxy Nexus and thought the interface was "blah". May as well change it up a bit. Maybe you'll like it. Maybe you'll appreciate Android more. From what I read the Nokia Lumina 900 has been getting good reviews.

pm

Elite Member Mobile Devices
Jan 25, 2000
If it were me... I'd try a Nokia Lumina just to try it. Then I'd look at an HTC One, and I didn't like either, I'd get a Galaxy Nexus. The one nice thing about the Galaxy Nexus is that prices have dropped and it's become a fairly affordable phone now.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
Interesting feedback.

I went into the store with an open mind.... after talking to the rep, I was kind of hesitant about getting the phone. the feel of the phone is very nice, screen nice, OS... well, not sure on that. after playing with it for a bit, I was not sold on it for 450 bucks. I was ready to walk out but had him run my account and check for upgrade eligibility. I was eligable, so I could get the phone for 99 bucks and get 100 bucks in free accessories.

This sold the phone. I needed a bluetooth and some cases so essentially got the phone for free. I have 30 days with a $35 restocking fee, so I figured what the heck. If I don't like it I return it and get the GN again. Don't think I will go with a non google phone. I have used skinned android and none of them have been to my liking. not to say that the new HTC one doesn't look nice, but I needed a phone today, not in a week or two.

We'll see how the nokia plays out. I am not sold on it at full retail, but like I said, I qualified for an upgrade so I went for it

-----
and for those that are interested I had the following damaged in the storm:
Pioneer SC-05 Elite Receiver
HP CM1415fnw laser all-in-one
Motorola SB6120 cable modem
Vonage VOIP box
XBox360
Galaxy nexus
Trendnet TEW-692GR router

The cable modem, vonage box, and router were plugged into an APC XS 1000. Thinking the modem was fried through the coax and the vonage box through the phone cable. Not sure what happened with the router, but it has a physical hotspot where the plastic is warped....

The Xbox and receiver were plugged into a Belkin PF31. I had a PS3, pioneer plasma, directv box, and wii plugged into it as well and they all survived. the belkin only has 2 yrs of coverage and it doesn't include "acts of God" and specifically states lightning as an act of God.

The cell phone was plugged into the wall with its oem charger via a small monster surge protector in the same room. had two HSU subs that were in the same room that made it through just fine. Seems some devices are more sensitive than others.

All said and done, Sounds like my home owners is going to cover everything... minus my deductable

Last edited:

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
If getting Android updates straight from Google (eons before the phone manufacturer) is something you value, I'd get another Galaxy Nexus.

Speaking of Nokia, though... a little humor:

white-trash-repairs-swat-teams-are-more-effective-now.jpg

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
so do typical consumer grade surge protectors even work?

they work for giving you more plugs
thats about it

if you live in an area where lightning strikes are common a whole house surge protector is a great thing to have. they are pretty cheap and the actually work

Raswan

Jan 29, 2010
Interesting feedback.

I went into the store with an open mind.... after talking to the rep, I was kind of hesitant about getting the phone. the feel of the phone is very nice, screen nice, OS... well, not sure on that. after playing with it for a bit, I was not sold on it for 450 bucks. I was ready to walk out but had him run my account and check for upgrade eligibility. I was eligable, so I could get the phone for 99 bucks and get 100 bucks in free accessories.

This sold the phone. I needed a bluetooth and some cases so essentially got the phone for free. I have 30 days with a $35 restocking fee, so I figured what the heck. If I don't like it I return it and get the GN again. Don't think I will go with a non google phone. I have used skinned android and none of them have been to my liking. not to say that the new HTC one doesn't look nice, but I needed a phone today, not in a week or two.

We'll see how the nokia plays out. I am not sold on it at full retail, but like I said, I qualified for an upgrade so I went for it

-----
and for those that are interested I had the following damaged in the storm:
Pioneer SC-05 Elite Receiver
HP CM1415fnw laser all-in-one
Motorola SB6120 cable modem
Vonage VOIP box
XBox360
Galaxy nexus
Trendnet TEW-692GR router

The cable modem, vonage box, and router were plugged into an APC XS 1000. Thinking the modem was fried through the coax and the vonage box through the phone cable. Not sure what happened with the router, but it has a physical hotspot where the plastic is warped....

The Xbox and receiver were plugged into a Belkin PF31. I had a PS3, pioneer plasma, directv box, and wii plugged into it as well and they all survived. the belkin only has 2 yrs of coverage and it doesn't include "acts of God" and specifically states lightning as an act of God.

The cell phone was plugged into the wall with its oem charger via a small monster surge protector in the same room. had two HSU subs that were in the same room that made it through just fine. Seems some devices are more sensitive than others.

All said and done, Sounds like my home owners is going to cover everything... minus my deductable

Hope you like the Lumia. That sucks about the rest of your stuff, but I'm glad you had insurance. Otherwise, that would suck even more.

sciwizam

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
HTC One X coming to ATT on May 6th. You can play around with the Lumia 900 till then and decide.

Remember, if you keep the Lumia, Nokia is giving a $100 bill credit due to some software issue.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
i have used the phone for a day now. the included navigation kind of sucks and I don't care for the two steps to answer a call. other than that, it isn't bad. the keyboard is the best of any phone I have used, screen isn't half bad either despite the lower resolution.

I still contend that at 450, this isn't the phone to get, but for free, it ain't too bad