Lightning Fast Punches

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: KB
1 good punch > 7 fast weak punches

yet 7 fast, controlled "weak" (i doubt they would be like flies landing on you) will still bruise your chest, and posibly hurt you just as much as 1 good knock. im no kung fu master (or tudent, for that matter) or anything, but i can to a pretty good haymaker. ive also been hit (and downed) by both huge punches and a series of well placed quick jabs. depends on whos throwing them before you can really say how good or strong they would be.

troytime

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: eits

he's doing jeet kun do... dude's name is tommy carruthers.

He's a JKD guy, but what he's doing is wing chun
JKD isn't an array of moves, its a flexible, adaptable fighting style that includes moves from all other arts

its up to the student and instructor to adapt the fighting style to suit them best

gophins72

Golden Member
Jul 22, 2005
wing tsun (chun) is the martial art that bruce lee trained in before coming to the united states. it's cool stuff and watching that youtube video makes me want to train in it!! :)

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: MaverickBP
Originally posted by: needalife
how the hell is flinging ur arms around punching.... u girls need to wake up

Actually he was punching but it was more like jabs in terms of amount of force applied. It's meant for speed...not a one hit ko. I've been taking Jeet Kune Do since i was about 8 and Bruce Lee always focused on speed versus power. He didn't neglect his power but felt speed was most important. That's why he would teach people to not overbuild their bicep muscles as it would slow down your "snap" as he refered to it. Also training your punches under water or with weights on is a good way to increase the speed of your punches/kicks.

Blah blah blah...

It's all bullshit in the real world.

the biceps does NOT slow down your snap, in fact the more fast twitch fibers you got in your biceps, the snappier you will get, that is the BIG muscles, the long fibers are the much slower low twitch fibers.

See, you don't know anything about this, the truth is, the bigger the muscle, the snappier it will be, both to punch from a short distance and retract. It's physiology, you can't change it with specific training either, big muscles are always fast twitch or "type 2" and slow twich fibers are always "type 1" avoiding big muscles makes your fibers predominently slow twitch fibers, with not much punching strenght.

IOW, you are an idiot.

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: lyssword
power = speed * force. Also, my brother sparred against olympic-level boxer. There is no fucking way you can get any of those punches through if the boxer puts his hands up (shells up). You'll end up with broken fingers hitting his elbow bones. Secondly vs a boxer you are going to close the distance first, and a boxer will time you as you come in, no matter how fast you are.

Thirdly, Bruce Lee emphasized a lot on sparring, not just passively hitting pads or boxing bag or hitting a human punching bag like in this vid.

Oh, and Bruce Lee had 40lb dumbbells he was training his biceps with while watching tv :p

A girl at my work who is retired air force reps with 40 lbs at her desk... Point is he was strengthening that area...not bulking it up.

Yes he emphasized alot on sparring. He also said if you don't have a good abdominal set then you have no business sparring as everyone moment stems from your waist.

Can't remember the name of the art but there's guys who use their fingertips to break board/brick/your brother's elbow ;). Also a martial artist will attack the rest of your body while you "shell up". That wasn't even a dispute on whether or not someone's punches would land. Don't know why you keep bringing up new arguments...

You obviously speak of only what you MAY have read and what your brother has told you. You proved that with your boxing speech. If you had any training at all you'd know that a boxer can try and hit you as you close the distance. Sure he may even land a hit or two. Doesn't mean I wouldn't be dodging at the same time and/or taking ahold of one of his wrists and breaking that "boney elbow" with my palm/forearm.

You can continue and bring up Bruce Lee references and i'll agree/shoot them down one by one. You won't stump me when it comes to him or his art. Some people read...some people train. I've done both for 17 years. I know what he said...I know why he said it...and i've had real world experience implementing it. I didn't just read it or hear it from someone I knew.

And now it's time to go to the dentist. An unfortunate side effect of this profession lol.

Blah, blah, blah...

Are you this stupid in real life or is this just an act for the internet?

Here, do me a favor and keep your fingertips straight while i elbow them right into your hand, do you realize that the bones in your fingers are more brittle than an elbow? using your fingertips to break an elbow is like catching a rainbow in a plastic bag, it's just not going to happen no matter how hopped up on LSD you are son.

I'm going to guess that people here were humouring you to set you up, i refuse to believe that there are more people as daft as you in this universe.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
I am much, much more impressed by the guy who took all those "punches" and didnt even flinch! He must have the chest and neck of chuck norris granite stone strengths!

StevenYoo

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2001
I'm learning wing chun now.

those chi-sao exercises (the exercises they perform in the video) are really useful

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: tfinch2
I wonder how much force is behind them.

Doesn't look like much, considering they are more like slaps or a flinging of the hands than punches. Regardless, it's not about the fact that there isn't much force, it's about where it hits and that it's clearly not easy to defend against.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Injury

Doesn't look like much, considering they are more like slaps or a flinging of the hands than punches. Regardless, it's not about the fact that there isn't much force, it's about where it hits and that it's clearly not easy to defend against.

Yeah, it's CLEARLY not easy to defend against when you just stand there. :roll:

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Originally posted by: JackBurton

I don't know, looks like that guy defended pretty well. Not a scratch on him from all those devestating punches!

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: randay
I don't know, looks like that guy defended pretty well. Not a scratch on him from all those devestating punches!
Intentionally hurting your partner will get your ass beat down.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Originally posted by: her209
Originally posted by: randay
Intentionally hurting your partner will get your ass beat down.
What if your partner is into S&M?

MaverickBP

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2004
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
Originally posted by: needalife
how the hell is flinging ur arms around punching.... u girls need to wake up

Actually he was punching but it was more like jabs in terms of amount of force applied. It's meant for speed...not a one hit ko. I've been taking Jeet Kune Do since i was about 8 and Bruce Lee always focused on speed versus power. He didn't neglect his power but felt speed was most important. That's why he would teach people to not overbuild their bicep muscles as it would slow down your "snap" as he refered to it. Also training your punches under water or with weights on is a good way to increase the speed of your punches/kicks.

Blah blah blah...

It's all bullshit in the real world.

the biceps does NOT slow down your snap, in fact the more fast twitch fibers you got in your biceps, the snappier you will get, that is the BIG muscles, the long fibers are the much slower low twitch fibers.

See, you don't know anything about this, the truth is, the bigger the muscle, the snappier it will be, both to punch from a short distance and retract. It's physiology, you can't change it with specific training either, big muscles are always fast twitch or "type 2" and slow twich fibers are always "type 1" avoiding big muscles makes your fibers predominently slow twitch fibers, with not much punching strenght.

IOW, you are an idiot.

Yep you got me. I'm going to throw away everything Bruce Lee said because of some guy on ATOT...:roll:

You become the next Bruce Lee...or even someone worth mentioning. Then come in here with your thoughts and bashings against someone who is as undeniably great as Bruce.

MaverickBP

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2004
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
Originally posted by: lyssword
power = speed * force. Also, my brother sparred against olympic-level boxer. There is no fucking way you can get any of those punches through if the boxer puts his hands up (shells up). You'll end up with broken fingers hitting his elbow bones. Secondly vs a boxer you are going to close the distance first, and a boxer will time you as you come in, no matter how fast you are.

Thirdly, Bruce Lee emphasized a lot on sparring, not just passively hitting pads or boxing bag or hitting a human punching bag like in this vid.

Oh, and Bruce Lee had 40lb dumbbells he was training his biceps with while watching tv :p

A girl at my work who is retired air force reps with 40 lbs at her desk... Point is he was strengthening that area...not bulking it up.

Yes he emphasized alot on sparring. He also said if you don't have a good abdominal set then you have no business sparring as everyone moment stems from your waist.

Can't remember the name of the art but there's guys who use their fingertips to break board/brick/your brother's elbow ;). Also a martial artist will attack the rest of your body while you "shell up". That wasn't even a dispute on whether or not someone's punches would land. Don't know why you keep bringing up new arguments...

You obviously speak of only what you MAY have read and what your brother has told you. You proved that with your boxing speech. If you had any training at all you'd know that a boxer can try and hit you as you close the distance. Sure he may even land a hit or two. Doesn't mean I wouldn't be dodging at the same time and/or taking ahold of one of his wrists and breaking that "boney elbow" with my palm/forearm.

You can continue and bring up Bruce Lee references and i'll agree/shoot them down one by one. You won't stump me when it comes to him or his art. Some people read...some people train. I've done both for 17 years. I know what he said...I know why he said it...and i've had real world experience implementing it. I didn't just read it or hear it from someone I knew.

And now it's time to go to the dentist. An unfortunate side effect of this profession lol.

Blah, blah, blah...

Are you this stupid in real life or is this just an act for the internet?

Here, do me a favor and keep your fingertips straight while i elbow them right into your hand, do you realize that the bones in your fingers are more brittle than an elbow? using your fingertips to break an elbow is like catching a rainbow in a plastic bag, it's just not going to happen no matter how hopped up on LSD you are son.

I'm going to guess that people here were humouring you to set you up, i refuse to believe that there are more people as daft as you in this universe.

You obviously have no clue on what it is you speak of. Someone do the googling for me about the martial art I mentioned that focuses on brick breaking fingertips/toes and shut this kid up. I'm going to go enjoy my weekend now. I'll leave you to your internet king of the hill match.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
If you look at some of the old videos of Mike Tyson sparring, he was extremely fast and also packed a very powerful punch.

This video showed useless lovetaps. He didn't put his shoulder behind the hits and wouldn't get any power behind them. At least if you looked at old Bruce Lee videos you can tell that he studied how the body worked and worked out the mechanics of effective strikes. He made sure that his weight distribution and large muscle groups were behind the punches.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Force = Mass x Acceleration...most fighters punch much faster than even some nerd at home could against the air. Many fighters have big hands....we used to have a poster with the life sized fists of the greatest fighters of all time in our dojo.

The funnest thing to do with an one of these guys is to spar and let him know exactly what you are going to hit them with.

Usually they will block it, but only after you have struck them and are ready for the next hit.