Lighters to be allowed back on planes

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
NEW YORK -- Airline passengers will be able to bring many types of cigarette lighters on board again starting next month after authorities found that a ban on the devices did little to make flying safer, a newspaper reported Friday.

Starting Aug. 4, air travelers will be allowed to carry on disposable butane lighters, such as Bics, and refillable lighters, including Zippos, according to The New York Times. A prohibition on torch-style lighters, which have hotter flames, will continue.

"Taking lighters away is security theater," Transportation Security Administration chief Kip Hawley told The Times in an interview.
Click here to find out more!

Lighters have been barred from checked bags for decades because of concerns they could start fires in cargo holds.

Congress banned lighters from flights after Richard Reid used matches to try to light explosives hidden in his shoes while on a Paris-to-Miami flight in 2001. Lawmakers worried that Reid might have succeeded if he had had a lighter. The lighter ban took effect in April 2005.

Security screeners collect an average of 22,000 lighters a day, and it costs about $4 million a year to dispose of them, The Times reported.

Hawley said confiscating lighters has not helped security much because other items could be used to detonate bombs.

"The No. 1 threat for us is someone trying to bring bomb components through the security checkpoint," he said. "We don't want anything that distracts concentration from searching for that."

lol, I love that quote by the TSA chief

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
the government voluntarily making itself smaller? say it ain't so!

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
How about letting my bottle of water back through? It's been thoroughly demonstrated that "liquid explosives" are a non-threat.

Nov 3, 2004
who cares about lighters? they could be potentially dangerous. I just want my freaking water/contact solution

hypn0tik

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
What's to stop someone for trying to burn the seats?

I think they should let back bottled water.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
I didn't know they weren't allowed. I carried my lighter in my breast pocket on both my flights from the US and back with no problem.

PepePeru

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2005
Originally posted by: hypn0tik

umm. the person seated next to them?
i'd make a scene if i saw someone starting to burn a seat.

:confused:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: G Wizard
Originally posted by: hypn0tik

umm. the person seated next to them?
i'd make a scene if i saw someone starting to burn a seat.

:confused:

I don't think it would work that well with a Bic or Zippo anyway.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
They won't bring back allowing bottled water, it's too much of a boom to the shops/restaurants in the terminals.

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
Originally posted by: So
How about letting my bottle of water back through? It's been thoroughly demonstrated that "liquid explosives" are a non-threat.

Link? I'm not doubting you, I just hadn't heard about this.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
You cant smoke on flights anyway - were they not allowed in checked luggage either?

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: kami333

Security screeners collect an average of 22,000 lighters a day, and it costs about $4 million a year to dispose of them, The Times reported.

22000*365 = 8030000

Go ahead, pay me $4 million dollars and I'll dispose of the 8,030,000 lighters for you. In fact, I'll resell them!

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: Oceandevi
WOOT!! though seeing them stashed all around the smoker areas was nice.
4$ million all around was taking away from their pay checks. ;)

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: jdoggg12
You cant smoke on flights anyway - were they not allowed in checked luggage either?

Lighters have been barred from checked bags for decades because of concerns they could start fires in cargo holds.

From the OP...

aceO07

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2000
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Originally posted by: jdoggg12

From the OP...

They probably can't allow water since they wouldn't want to drown everybody. :p Do they even check the liquids inside bottles, aside from visual inspection?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: aceO07

They probably can't allow water since they wouldn't want to drown everybody. :p Do they even check the liquids inside bottles, aside from visual inspection?

They normally just toss them into the trash.

It's about time they allowed lighters. I always thought that was silly. It's almost as silly as the no bottled water....I'm drinking it silly! Do you think I can expode stuff with a liquid I'm drinking???!!!

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Originally posted by: kami333
NEW YORK -- Airline passengers will be able to bring many types of cigarette lighters on board again starting next month after authorities found that a ban on the devices did little to make flying safer, a newspaper reported Friday.

Starting Aug. 4, air travelers will be allowed to carry on disposable butane lighters, such as Bics, and refillable lighters, including Zippos, according to The New York Times. A prohibition on torch-style lighters, which have hotter flames, will continue.

"Taking lighters away is security theater," Transportation Security Administration chief Kip Hawley told The Times in an interview.
Click here to find out more!

Congress banned lighters from flights after Richard Reid used matches to try to light explosives hidden in his shoes while on a Paris-to-Miami flight in 2001. Lawmakers worried that Reid might have succeeded if he had had a lighter. The lighter ban took effect in April 2005.

Hawley said confiscating lighters has not helped security much because other items could be used to detonate bombs.

"The No. 1 threat for us is someone trying to bring bomb components through the security checkpoint," he said. "We don't want anything that distracts concentration from searching for that."

lol, I love that quote by the TSA chief
I like this one better. ;)