Light Bulbs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
wow late to the game. if you have a ikea near you they have plenty of cheap bulbs and lamps if you need more. cheaper smaller wattage lamps are good for spreading around task lighting for more adaptable room lighting. theres almost no disadvantage to cf these days. unless you buy some god aweful brand their color is great, popular mechanics recently did a lineup and most came out ahead of incandescent for color rendering:p a surprise really. plus they put out less heat.
just don't put them into sockets controlled by dimmer switches. you'd have to replace the switch with a regular one first or buy a special dimmer only cf.

mrrman

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2004
my entire house has the CF lights installed...will never go back to the bulb and I think in a few years time they are trying to ban these in Canada, cost savings/energy etc

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
almost all the bulbs in the house are CFL. there are some regular bulbs downstairs with a dimmer that we haven't replaced yet. but wasn't there a big deal a while back about how GE managed to make regular incandescent bulbs that used the same amount of energy that CFL's did? I'll try and find the link...

here it is

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
OK, do these bulbs really save an appreciable amount in electricity ($)? Or is this just a matter of being environmentally concerned? I don't leave my lights on and have no kids to follow behind.

Skotty

Dec 29, 2006
The best thing about CFL's is that they are not burning out all the darn time.

Oddly, however, I have an old incandescent lightbulb in a mobile garage fixture for providing light when working on cars. Despite the abuse it has seen, the incandescent bulb in it has lasted for decades.

antillean

Jun 13, 2007
I just moved to a new apartment and got some CFLs. I forget the brand, but it's one that got good reviews in PM-- the light quality is just as good as incandescent if you get bulbs with a warm color. Don't get the daylight. I was the biggest skeptic based on my previous experience with CFLs, but I'm a convert.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: SmoochyTX
Originally posted by: BigJ
Originally posted by: SmoochyTX
OK, do these bulbs really save an appreciable amount in electricity ($)? Or is this just a matter of being environmentally concerned? I don't leave my lights on and have no kids to follow behind.

http://www.thesimpledollar.com...s-can-save-100-a-year/
Isn't worth it for me. Thanks for the link though BigJ.

don't forget that your electric rates are nearly double what the guy in the article wrote about, down here in the sweaty south.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
The 13w CFL are brighter than the 60w that I've eplaced.

I buy the 6 pack at Lowes for $10.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have 60 CFL bulbs in my home. I don't have much of a problem with any of them (all brands) except the Philips that I purchased from Wal-Mart. They are the globe type and they are 60W equivalents but they take up to 3 minutes to warm up and they are very, very dim upon power up. I recommend about any CFL but those.

CFL's for the win! :)

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
I replace incandescents with flourescents whenever they burn out, and I just pick up whatever's cheap at WalMart. I also don't have the lights on often, daylight is almost always good enough for me unless I'm cooking or in the shower where there's no window.

Kremerica

Jan 6, 2004
This is resurecting an older thread, but I was searching for info about LED lightbulbs.
I bought a new house about 8 months ago and I am just now getting around to swapping out all the lightbulbs.

I know there are CLF's but now I am looking into these LED bulbs and they are even more of a power saver. The basic LED bulb only uses 3w vs. a CLF at anywhere from 9w (40w equivalent to incandescent) to 22w (100w equivalent incandescent)

Has anyone bought these? they are roughly $35 a pop, but use much less power.
I have read a few reviews and it seems like since this is a new technology for manufacturers, right now the bulbs put out much less lumens of light.
This might also be attributed to LEDs being a directional light source instead of 360 degree like a CLF.
After a while they will get creative with bulb packaging and reflection to make LEDs 360 degree lights i'm sure, but right now I dont know if its worth it.

anyone have experience with these? I might buy a couple for the porch light that runs all night long everyday. Just to test them out and save on wattage.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
The only problem with CF bulbs is lots of them have to "Warm Up" for a minute or two before they get up to their full brightness. This can be really annoying if you are just going in a room to grab something and then going back out because they come on relatively dim for a bit.

$35 a pop for a lightbulb seems really expensive. How long are they rated to last? Forever? I guess you'd have to do the math to see if saving that extra 10-30w or so will add up to being worth the extra $30 for the bulb. I'd think it'd take an awfully long time to make that up...

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
So many lights in my house have dimmers on them I've never really got into the CFLs.