life vs overclock

INemtsev

Jul 24, 2003
I heard most cpu;s are designed to live 10 years, will overcloking reduce the life ...by how much....if u dont touch voltage will it still shorten?

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Theoretically if you do not add vcore above standard default and temps are within INtel recommended range then I dopn't see why it would shorten its life...You need to realize the reason many of these chips oc so well is they have actually been speed binned to fill market demands for lower speed grade chips....

It has been still a rather short period of time to realize what the longevity of the northwod chips is at any vcore above default....

My guess and purely my guess would think that 1.6v or less on a 1.525-1.55v default chips should live at least 5-7 years....1.65v maybe down to 3-5years and maybe 1.7v 1-3 years...I don't recommend anything above 1.7v....

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Duvie
Theoretically if you do not add vcore above standard default and temps are within INtel recommended range then I dopn't see why it would shorten its life...
I don't think he'd want to run his AMD chips at Intel's recommended voltages and temps.

:)

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Megatomic
Theoretically if you do not add vcore above standard default and temps are within INtel recommended range then I dopn't see why it would shorten its life...
I don't think he'd want to run his AMD chips at Intel's recommended voltages and temps.

LOL...I guess I have Intel on the brain!!!

This logic applies for AMD in my opinion, just disregard the vcore options...I don't really know the ranges with AMD but I would imagine te 1.6v Bartons or so should be safe up to 1.8v and be a lot like 1.65-1.7v on the INtel chip..

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001

This logic applies for AMD in my opinion, just disregard the vcore options...I don't really know the ranges with AMD but I would imagine te 1.6v Bartons or so should be safe up to 1.8v and be a lot like 1.65-1.7v on the INtel chip..

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Wow...what the heck is wrong with this site!!!!

Kepp this up and I am going to have Shady06 post numbers!! ;)

bootoo

Apr 13, 2002
Eeh; I get computers from 1998 donated to my computer club all the time that I don't know what to do with.

In 10 years no one will care what my hot 1700+ could do back in 2003.

So why not try and see?

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002

How about running your intel chip at AMD's rated voltages and temps? That's alright, right? :evil:

WobbleWobble

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Didn't many overclocked Northwoods have that sudden death syndrome where they just died?

I wasn't sure about the voltage bump on those though.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
That was when ppl were generally taking them over 1.75v and over....I haven't heard of any deaths of a northwood in quite a while...Most do not take the vcore toohigh as the performance enhancement really becomes quite samll after 1.6v anyways...