Life sentence for spitting - U.S. Law system becomes more and more a joke

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Originally posted by: konichiwa
Argue for rights and demanding freedom for the criminals is not the same obviously. A mad dog with rights is still a mad dog.

No one is demanding his freedom. Hell, I'd like to see him locked up as much as you would. But if you want to protect the rights of the innocent, law-abiding citizens, you have to protect the rights of the criminals as well. And with just as much vigilance.

Absolutely, but NOT at the expense of forfeiting the rights of the victim, or future victims. It angers me that when a person acts to REMOVE anothers rights, he has full protection of the laws of this land to protect HIM from the same.

When, for example a murderer is caught, if ever, HE will have far more rights than HE EVER allowed HIS VICTIM to have. When one STEALS the rights of another in a crime, IMHO he should forfeit at least SOME of those protections which guarantees his rights to escape prosecution or fair sentencing. As it stands in America now, anyone can STEAL your rights as an american in the commission of a crime, and recieve far more protection of HIS rights than his victim. One should not only stand trial for the crime, but also for depravation of the victims' rights as well. That alone should be worthy of life imprisonment in itself.

It seems only when reality bites you square in the ass as a victim, do the majority of Americans understand or feel the need to protect the rights of the victim. And THAT is a downright sad.

Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: mastertech01
Argue for rights and demanding freedom for the criminals is not the same obviously. A mad dog with rights is still a mad dog.

No one is demanding his freedom. Hell, I'd like to see him locked up as much as you would. But if you want to protect the rights of the innocent, law-abiding citizens, you have to protect the rights of the criminals as well. And with just as much vigilance.

Absolutely, but NOT at the expense of forfeiting the rights of the victim, or future victims. It angers me that when a person acts to REMOVE anothers rights, he has full protection of the laws of this land to protect HIM from the same.

When, for example a murderer is caught, if ever, HE will have far more rights than HE EVER allowed HIS VICTIM to have. When one STEALS the rights of another in a crime, IMHO he should forfeit at least SOME of those protections which guarantees his rights to escape prosecution or fair sentencing. As it stands in America now, anyone can STEAL your rights as an american in the commission of a crime, and recieve far more protection of HIS rights than his victim. One should not only stand trial for the crime, but also for depravation of the victims' rights as well. That alone should be worthy of life imprisonment in itself.

It seems only when reality bites you square in the ass as a victim, do the majority of Americans understand or feel the need to protect the rights of the victim. And THAT is a downright sad.

There is a reason for that though. The actions of our legal system are supposed to be above the actions of criminals. The system can't work unless we apply to same rights to everyone. Even the guiltiest of the guilty deserve their rights upheld, because when a line is drawn between who 'deserves' their rights and who doesn't, you never know which side of that line YOU may end up on one day.

Edit: I'll concede our justice system is in a sad state all around, but you can improve the fairness with which it treats criminals and victims w/o trampling on the rights of either.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Gonad the Barbarian
Originally posted by: mastertech01

There is a reason for that though. The actions of our legal system are supposed to be above the actions of criminals. The system can't work unless we apply to same rights to everyone. Even the guiltiest of the guilty deserve their rights upheld, because when a line is drawn between who 'deserves' their rights and who doesn't, you never know which side of that line YOU may end up on one day.

Edit: I'll concede our justice system is in a sad state all around, but you can improve the fairness with which it treats criminals and victims w/o trampling on the rights of either.

Well said.