Life sentence for spitting - U.S. Law system becomes more and more a joke

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
U.S. Law system becomes more and more a joke. I can see why the Law is on the books and actually using the Law but the Officer as well as the assailant have both been cleared of diseases so the man did not spit a deadly weapon which is what the intent of the Law is to prosecute. So applying the Maximum of the Law seems Draconian in this case, he did not kill the cop.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man Gets Life in Prison for Spitting
Thu Jul 3,12:23 PM ET

SAPULPA, Okla. - A convicted rapist has been sentenced to life in prison for spitting on a police officer.

Creek County Associate District Judge April Sellers White followed the recommendation of a jury for the maximum sentence against John C. Marquez under a law that makes it a felony to place bodily fluids on law enforcement officers.

White rejected a prosecution request for a 25-year prison term and a defense request for a four-year term.

Following sentencing Monday, Marquez's attorney, Jason Serner, promised an appeal to the state Court of Criminal Appeals. No appeal had been filed by Thursday.

Marquez, 35, was convicted of hurling body fluids on Sapulpa Officer Charles Gadd while Gadd was taking Marquez to jail following a domestic disturbance in which a woman's arm was broken.

The 1996 state law that makes it a felony to place bodily fluids on law enforcement officers was enacted amid concerns that deadly diseases, such as AIDS (news - web sites), could be transmitted this way.

Gadd told the jury that Marquez spit on him despite being warned and then bit him when Gadd was trying to prevent Marquez from spitting again.

Gadd and Marquez tested negative for any communicable diseases.

The jury took 15 minutes on May 14 to recommend the life sentence. Marquez's prior felony convictions, including rape and burglary, were taken into consideration in determining the sentence.

In addition to the life term, Marquez received one year in jail and a $3,000 fine for his conviction for domestic assault and a $500 fine for resisting a peace officer.

Telephone calls to the judge, the prosecuting attorney and the defense attorney were not returned Thursday.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
You could say that his spit contained blood and he is a HIV carrier and therefore is using his spit as a deadly weapon. Even very remotely he would get infected. Life sentancing is way too harsh but I dont want this guy on the streets anyway. :p

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Tabb
You could say that his spit contained blood and he is a HIV carrier and therefore is using his spit as a deadly weapon. Even very remotely he would get infected. Life sentancing is way too harsh but I dont want this guy on the streets anyway. :p

Thing is this guy isnt infected. Just extremely gross.

6 months litter patrol.

Oct 16, 1999
This guy deserves to be locked up for a good long time, but this isn't the way to do it. This kind of crap and the those three strikes laws aren't exactly justice, and really do more harm to the judicial system than good in protecting the public. I'd like to see some sort of progressive sentencing, your first offense is time sentenced, second is time sentenced times 2, third is times 3 , etc. Petty criminals wouldn't get screwed by the system while the habitual, violent criminals would still be weeded out fairly quickly.

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
This guy is an habitual violent offender, isn't he? Anyway, I am sure his sentence will get reduced on appeal......

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Hayabusarider
Originally posted by: Tabb

Thing is this guy isnt infected. Just extremely gross.

6 months litter patrol.

In Baghdad..

NuclearFusi0n

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: alchemize
Poor little convicted burglar and rapist. My heart bleeds for you.
Yes, because it's right to impose cruel and unusual punishments on citizens of the USA.

not.

AEB

Jun 12, 2003
its not cruel or unusual criminals have more rights that law abiding citizens, i say we just let the cop kick his ass and if he dies then he dies.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
He gets ONE year for breaking a woman's arm and 25 for spitting/minor bite on a cop . . . maybe this makes sense in OK.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."

mastertech01

Nov 13, 1999
Originally posted by: konichiwa

"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."

Isnt that something Charles Manson used to quote alot? Sounds like something he would spin anyway.

Warin

Sep 6, 2001
Originally posted by: mastertech01

Isnt that something Charles Manson used to quote alot? Sounds like something he would spin anyway.

Dunno if Charlie Manson ever quoted it, but it is from Clarence Darrow, one of the pre-eminent American litigators.

Locking a guy away for 25 years for spitting on a cop is insane. I dont care if he is a convicted rapist. If he served his time for those crimes, then he shouldnt face 25 years in prison on such a flimsy piece of legal stupidity. I can see if a cop gets infected with something from a violent criminal, then PERHAPS there is room to talk about a felony...but a felony to spit on a cop? Hell..thats just insane.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
The 1996 state law that makes it a felony to place bodily fluids on law enforcement officers
This is not a just law. The more unjust laws that are passed, angrier people become and the more they'll disrespect authority and scoff at laws in general. That law should be stricten from the books.

stormbv

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2000

Yeah, you'd have to be insane to argue for the rights of everyone.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
That's nothing ! I saw and A&E special of the San Francisco court system and a guy got 25 years to life for "threatening" a cop. The thing is that it was only one cop's word against the guy and since he screwed up when he was young man and got in trouble for selling drugs a couple times and for stealing cars he ended up with only one strike left. He served his time for his drug charges and for the stolen car charges and was out of trouble for a loooong time untill that day he had the encounter with the cop. Supposedly it had to do with a dispute he was having with his wife in the street. Of course this all worked against him and the judge refused to believe anything he said or anything his wife said about what went on. So the guy ended up with 25 years to life. So now we have prison's releasing child molestors and other badies early because of over crowding from people recieving 25+ years to life for bullshit petty charges.

AEB

Jun 12, 2003
stories like these encourage me to not do stupid shite. i think 3 strikes is too many, keep in mind it could be worse, and "life" really means 4 years then paroll

mastertech01

Nov 13, 1999
Originally posted by: stormbv

Yeah, you'd have to be insane to argue for the rights of everyone.

Argue for rights and demanding freedom for the criminals is not the same obviously. A mad dog with rights is still a mad dog.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
The fact of the matter is, the prosecution asked for 25 years, the judge gave him life. The defense wanted 4 years which I think is still a ridiculous punishment, but I fail to see why the judge rejected that. I can't see any real grounds for what he did.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: AEB
its not cruel or unusual criminals have more rights that law abiding citizens, i say we just let the cop kick his ass and if he dies then he dies.

I won't even bother...

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Argue for rights and demanding freedom for the criminals is not the same obviously. A mad dog with rights is still a mad dog.

No one is demanding his freedom. Hell, I'd like to see him locked up as much as you would. But if you want to protect the rights of the innocent, law-abiding citizens, you have to protect the rights of the criminals as well. And with just as much vigilance.