life expectancy of inkjet cartridges?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I found several inkjet cartridges that are passed their "use by" date - many by several years.

No longer have printers that use them.

Any chance they might still be good or should I just pitch them?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
From what I've heard it's about 1 year.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Does it really matter? ink cartidges now only last about 10 pages, then you have to throw them out. My last HP printer sucked my wallet dry....

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Gibson486
Does it really matter? ink cartidges now only last about 10 pages, then you have to throw them out. My last HP printer sucked my wallet dry....

you got a bad printer or bad cartridges then.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Gibson486

Get a laser printer. I highly recommend Brothers. I have put out 15 here at work and recommend them to all my clients. All told I have purchased around 25 in the last year and have had a problem with only one of them - Brother replaced it no questions asked.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I find that inkjet cartridges are good for about 72 hours after opening. Afterwards, the 50 cleaning cycles required not to print text in olive or magenta use up the last 99 percent of ink, whether you've printed anything or not.

Get a sub $100 laser and ditch the inkjet for anything but photo printing.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
What is with people here and their ink?
I have an HP printer, use HP 02 series ink (Vivera), and using draft mode, had a black cartridge last around a year and a half at school.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: destrekor
I have an HP printer, use HP 02 series ink (Vivera), and using draft mode, had a black cartridge last around a year and a half at school.

yeah, i don't get it either. i was printing several pages a day with the hp 5650 i had. i could go months without changing the cartridges. i used that thing for 4 years and it's still in good working condition. the only reason i stopped using it was to make space and there are laser printers close by so i didn't really need it any more.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: destrekor

I agree fully. I change ink carts about twice a year - depending on use. Black is used fast because most of what I print is text, and that is usually black.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Maybe I just print a lot more than the average person. Between the woman and I both in masters programs and my job as a writer, that's a lot of printing. For a $20 generic toner cart, my laserjet 1018 has given us more than 10,000 pages so far. I wonder how much ink that would take. :)

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
If you mean you intend to sell them (since you have no need of them yourself), I'd say that as long as you are up-front about their past-date status and price them appropriately, then let the buyer(s) decide. They could always flush the cartridge and refill it with new ink. If they are the types with integrated head which normally cost an arm and leg, then it may be worth it to them.

.bh.