Life After Seti: Where will TeAm members go?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Overkiller

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2003
Chessbrain goes without question. i am currently 20th on the team and moving up fast :D ;) ;)

I was pretty worried about the Hard Drie access but the 1.2 is purely a dedicated cruncher, and my P4 has a raptor so if i decide to run it i shan't be worried about HD access ;)..lol

Nah, it wasn't recruit overkiller thread. I am really interetsted where the team is going to go b/c we are after all a TEAM & as i said in the first post..this was an exploratory post not only for me but perhaps for others to list pros/and possible cons to each project :D

Keep em coming guys!

BCinSC

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Where is info that FaD is trying to sell results? And if so, for non-profit gain to further project or lining someone's pockets? I'm putting a ton of resources into it and shamelessly plug for it here unless someone can prove otherwise. So all you crunchers, join the FaD TeAm. We tipped the Dutch Power Cows last night and are climbing ranks.

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Originally posted by: bunker
Heh, this thread went from "Where will TeAm members go?" to "Recruit Overkiller to your project!"

:) :p

Myself, I'll be going back to F@H or Distributed Folding.

Nahhhh ... how did u get that impression??? ;)

kloostec

Sep 19, 2003
Originally posted by: BCinSC
Where is info that FaD is trying to sell results?

Source for all of this: http://www.find-a-drug.org/faq.html

FaD is a non-profit organization (they're trying to get charity status), but:

"A fee is payable to Find-a-Drug to transfer or licence the IPR." (they're selling the Intellectual Property, ie the results your computer returns, in order to fund the site). Any extra cash they make will be donated to cancer research.

As for the final results:

"It is normal practice to patent the activity of molecules once this has been confirmed experientally. This serves to place some of the results in the public domain as well as protect the intellectual property."

We all know how anal people can get about IP...

Intelligence3

Feb 26, 2003
Possibly UD. but prolly the next SETI phase. Maybe I'll actually save some elctricty for a while, though, and not run anything.

BCinSC

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Find-A-Drug!!!!! Or at least Folding@Home. A 50-digit prime number does what for mankind? SETI is great in theory, but has anything been found yet?

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I'm glad you started this thread Overkiller . I need some info too.
The most important one is, which projects work well on dial-up?

I've run SoB & can do it with dial-up, though it's not the best(depending on how long the tests are). Also ECC2 is an easy one that i've run before, & it's sneakernetable.
I'm pretty sure jliechty is on dial-up & he runs F@H so that may be one to try. Any others?
Oh yeah, i'll be running SETI 2 on one machine too. Gotta stick with the space sciences ;):)

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
The F@H client isn't hard to set up at all. The GUI is easy as pie to set up, but the command line requires a bit more work (but is faster and uses less RAM). All you need to do is decompress it, install FireDaemon (optional, used to run F@H as a service in the background) and let it go.

Kwatt

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Spacehead I'm glad you started this thread Overkiller . I need some info too.
The most important one is, which projects work well on dial-up?

I've run SoB & can do it with dial-up, though it's not the best(depending on how long the tests are). Also ECC2 is an easy one that i've run before, & it's sneakernetable.
I'm pretty sure jliechty is on dial-up & he runs F@H so that may be one to try. Any others?
Oh yeah, i'll be running SETI 2 on one machine too. Gotta stick with the space sciences ;):)

Absoulte MUSTS:

#1 Good Question which projects work well on dial-up?
I.E. autosense a connection and uploads results and gets more work.

#2 No automatic updates (If I want AOL I'll pay for it)

#3 Must be able to run without updating the client for long periods.( I could run on serveral more machines if I did not have to go update the clients every week)

Would like:

#1 Install as a service and never ever,ever have any error messages pop up on the screen.( I get tired of answering the calls from my friends and family)

Kwatt

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Intelligence3
Possibly UD. but prolly the next SETI phase. Maybe I'll actually save some elctricty for a while, though, and not run anything.

Your computer will still use the same amount of electricity. That's why I have my XP 3200+ running a DC Client all the time because it doesn't matter.

TofBnT

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2003
Still trying to find a project that will work well with sneakernet and remote install.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Boinc, but will switch most back to DPAD:D Can't let Dan get too far out of reach. I don't have as many machines as I used to though. Seems all my DPAD machines got sold along the way. Maybe Mr.tax man will fix that problem though;)

CkG

Overkiller

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2003
The internet issue used to be present for myself as well but now with all rigs sharing broadband...:D

DPAD, Climate Prediction, and F@H seem to be my 3 top choices for life after SEti..so hard..so many projects, so few machines :|

Soggysocks

Golden Member
Jun 20, 2001
Sounds to me like RAT's leaving a sinking ship :disgust:

To quote <FONT face=Verdana size=1>BCinSC " <FONT face=Arial size=2>How long until SETI ends? Well
</FONT></FONT>SETI is not ending , but , going into a new phase. Now,
more than ever is it important to crunch SETI!

The posibilities of contacting or discovering Life elsewhere
is increased ten fold. A new search area in space and a larger
spectrum to anylize.....we will need three or four times the
members we now have to process the data!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :|

So, lets not get too hasty about switching projects, just yet.:p

Soggysocks

Golden Member
Jun 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Overkiller
lol soggysocks, true enough :D But what if i've already met ET? :Q :Q :Q

Well, you sure haven't shared it with the rest of the world ;)

We would all like to meet him/her/it, and we all have questions. :)

If you know something we don't ..............better fess up :|

BofRA

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2002
Well my home fleet will end up bouncing from project to project depending on my mood and stability of my computers/the client.

My work computers well, who knows It has to be sneakernettable, easy to use, and have a service install for a large fleet.

TofBnT

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Soggysocks
Sounds to me like RAT's leaving a sinking ship :disgust:

To quote <FONT face=Verdana size=1><STRONG>BCinSC " </strong><FONT face=Arial size=2>How long until SETI ends? Well
</FONT></FONT>SETI is not ending , but , going into a new phase. Now,
more than ever is it important to crunch SETI!

The posibilities of contacting or discovering Life elsewhere
is increased ten fold. A new search area in space and a larger
spectrum to anylize.....we will need three or four times the
members we now have to process the data!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :|

So, lets not get too hasty about switching projects, just yet.:p

Would love to do BOINC, but atm they don't support any way for us to do so.