Liberal Tennessean Endorses Romney

rickon66

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
The semi-official Democratic newspaper of the mid south, the Nashville Tennesssean has endorsed Mitt Romney for President. They have endorsed Democrats for as long as anyone can remember, but were disappointed in Obama's performance since his election.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
The semi-official Democratic newspaper of the mid south, the Nashville Tennesssean has endorsed Mitt Romney for President. They have endorsed Democrats for as long as anyone can remember, but were disappointed in Obama's performance since his election.

How far back can anyone in Tennessee remember? The Democrats have some painful election cycles.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Makes sense - a liberal Tennessean is pretty much a conservative Massachussian. Um, Massachusite? Massachusean?

In Tennessee. I'm a raging foamy liberal.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Endorses Romney?
Hell... They'd string Obama up on the nearest tree for being uppity if they could get away with it.
End of story.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Endorses Romney?
Hell... They'd string Obama up on the nearest tree for being uppity if they could get away with it.
End of story.
Which is presumably why they endorsed Obama in 2008.

Moron. End of story.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Endorses Romney?
End of story.

Yes, obviously, any person from Tennessee would like to string up a black person given the chance. Common man, is that really the best reasoning you can come up with?

Which is presumably why they endorsed Obama in 2008.

Moron. End of story.

Zing!

I'm surprised by the endorsement from the Tennessean. Right wing radio or fox news endorsing Romney is expected, but I was not expecting a generally left-leaning paper like the Tennessean to endorse Romney. I'm not putting any real significance on it, but it is surprising.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Makes sense - a liberal Tennessean is pretty much a conservative Massachussian. Um, Massachusite? Massachusean?

In Tennessee. I'm a raging foamy liberal.

Dammit, now I can't stop trying to figure out what you call someone from Massachusetts!

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Endorses Romney?
End of story.

Why the unsolicited derogatory statements towards Tenneseans?

FWIW though, if Obama went through the south side of chicago, they'd throw a parade. If Romney went through the same area, they'd rob him and rape his wife.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

masshole.jpg

Last edited:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
The new official term for a Massachusetts native is Massachusett. This pays homage to the indigenous people of the land who called themselves the Massachusetts (singular: Massachusett)

"Well, here are all the options I've found. Massachusian with 70 hits in Google seems to be the most frequently used of the morphs of the state name....but among these, Bay Stater is the expression more frequently used. I think "resident of Massachusetts" beats them all for frequency of use. ;o))
Bay Stater, Massachusite, Massachusian, Massachusettser, Massachusetter, MassachusetteanLocal perspective: The answer depends on your geographical and psycological point of view. Outside of MA, we are frequenly called Massholes, particularly by the gracious folk of New Hampster. The term Bay Stater is favored by our happier residents, and in particular our media mavens, because it is so much easier to prounounce than Massachusettser, etc. Malcontent residents might be more inclined to refer to us as Taxachusettsers.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_do_you_call_someone_from_Massachusetts

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I suspect they're not alone in switching from supporting Obama in 2008 to supporting not-Obama in 2012 (let's be honest, it's not really about Romney ;)). At least some Obama supporters from 2008 drank the Kool-aid and thought he'd be the magical, transformational leader it sometimes seemed like he was going to be. The disappointment those people feel going into the 2012 election isn't based on what they expect of a President but what they expected of Obama in particular.

Personally I thought it was impressive that Americans elected a black guy with a name like Barack Obama and I generally like the guy, but I never expected him to be President Jesus. And since it turns out that he's not, I don't have a problem supporting him this time around too.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Sadly, he ran as President Jesus...and delivered like President Harding. Obama's big undoing this election will be the lack of enthusiasm from his supporters. He only won 53% of the popular vote - and that was WITH the massive hype and people believing his barrel full of lies. This time around, many do not believe him who previously did. They may not vote Romney, but they probably will not vote at all which is bad for Obama.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Sadly, he ran as President Jesus...and delivered like President Harding. Obama's big undoing this election will be the lack of enthusiasm from his supporters. He only won 53% of the popular vote - and that was WITH the massive hype and people believing his barrel full of lies. This time around, many do not believe him who previously did. They may not vote Romney, but they probably will not vote at all which is bad for Obama.

I honestly think what you're saying represents the other side of the hype problem. Starting pretty much on day 2 of the Obama Presidency, at least some Republicans started buying into this idea that he's the worst President in the history of the universe...and that's basically what they're making this election about. If 2008 was about the pro-Obama hype (and I think you could make a decent case for that), 2012 is about the anti-Obama hype. The whole Republican story this year is based on the idea that Obama isn't just not-Jesus, he's actually Satan himself.

And that's a problem, because it relies on people going from drinking the "Obama will be the best President ever!"-Kool-aid to drinking the "Obama is destroying America!"-Kool-aid instead of trying to meet them in the middle. And the backlash that story has generated resulted in a Republican party mainly running on being way, WAY to the right of previous Republican standard bearers like GWB and McCain. It's hard to think of a strategy more likely to convince disillusioned Obama supporters that maybe they weren't so wrong after all.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Which might be interesting except that the Tribune also endorsed Obama in 2008. The Church owns two large Utah papers, one conservative editorially and one liberal editorially. Guess which one is the Tribune? No matter that Romney saved their Olympics from a fiasco and is a member of the state religion, Jesus himself could not compete with a black progressive.

For a better counter, perhaps someone could find a paper whose editors endorsed McCain in 2008 and now endorse Obama.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
The day has long passed when a given newspaper in any state has the influence to swing even a statewide election.

But there will always be dimocrats, republirats, and other groups who will elevate such tempests in tea pots as proof of surefire national trends when it goes their way, and poo poo other national newspapers who take the opposite position.

But still be it resolved, US Presidential candidates should be marketed like breakfast Cereals and shampoo's. Then the sad fact is and remains, an endorsement by a movie star like Madonna or Brad Pitt carries far more weight than any mere newspaper.