Liberal media? The Village Voice dedicated a good chunk of a Reagan article slamming your own side?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Hey leftistas, you might want to have a chat with your "liberal media" colleagues and ask for your money back.

Story link

[Story excerpt)

... tarting with the way he broke the air-traffic controllers' strike in 1981, an augury of things to come from which the labor movement never recovered, Reagan certainly demolished the American left?what passes for the left, anyway. Since repeating "what passes for the left" strikes me as tiresome, I'll abbreviate it: WPFL. As you may recall, under veteran station manager Jesse Jackson, WPFL switched to an oldies format soon after the Great Communicator took office, and has remained too much on the defensive to come up with a new songlist since. Instead, in one of the great through-the-looking-glass paradoxes of Reaganism, "progressives" have become, in practical terms, reactionaries?cluckingly trying to protect this or that milestone (equal opportunity, Roe v. Wade), against a right wing that's singing "If I Had a Hammer?Oh, Wait: I Do." Meanwhile, so-called conservatives have been on a quarter-century radical spree, zestily pursuing their own version of "If it feels good, do it." From inside-trader Michael Milken to Oliver "What Constitution?" North, the worst disgrace to a Marine Corps uniform since Lee Harvey Oswald hung his up, to describe the Reagan era as any sort of rebuke to permissiveness is pure folly.

Even so, what most WPFL subscribers probably remain too hidebound to see?much less acknowledge?is that, as a cultural construct, Reaganism had beauty. Even if you knew better, it was seductive. The best description, or possibly just evidence, I know is the oddly forgotten Talking Heads song "Road to Nowhere," from 1985's Americana-flavored Little Creatures. A hymn that evolves into a march tune and then a full-on cattle drive, complete with "Hah!"s and get-along-little-doggie percussion, it's one of David Byrne's most insinuatingly phrased preacher rips, with imagery swiped straight from the Gipper himself: "There's a city in my mind/Come along and take that ride/And it's all right." Even as the odyssey the listener is being asked to sign up for turns flagrantly nuts?"Maybe you wonder where you are/I don't care"?the song's eerily dissociated exuberance inveigles you; you still want to join. If it's an anti-Reagan song at all?and with Byrne, who ever knows??it's anti-Reagan in the same sense that "Heroin" is anti-shooting up.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Wow, glenn1. You've just taught yourself a key lesson about what you call "leftistas" and "the liberal media". NONE of us "want our money back".

But don't worry. We're all here for you, man. Come join us in the non-Hannity light.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Indeed. Your thread topic needs a lot of work.

What is the purpose of your statement " Hey leftistas, you might want to have a chat with your "liberal media" colleagues and ask for your money back." To show that the liberal media is turning against its followers? To antagonize? Your attack on liberals in this case assumes there is such a thing as "the liberal media" but you haven't shown this to be the case.

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
That's the kind of article that makes one want to cover their ears and scream "LA LA LA LA LA LA I CAN"T HEAR YOU!!!!" (for various reasons)

Good read:)

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
What is the purpose of your statement " Hey leftistas, you might want to have a chat with your "liberal media" colleagues and ask for your money back."

It was an attempt (and from the feedback i'm getting, a poor one) to ridicule the idea that the media is significantly tilted left.

And I'll be happy to consider suggestions to clean up the thread title.

Come join us in the non-Hannity light.

What in heck is a "non-Hannity light" ?

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: glenn1
What in heck is a "non-Hannity light" ?
It's a light that has more than one source . . . diffused, you know, nuanced. :D

And, hey, Glenn, sorry for not having my sarcasm meter turned on (and please convey my apology to Mrs.1 as well). :p

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
But really, where did this notion come from that the media is by definition liberal? By their role as the fourth/fifth estate they serve an important balancing role in the representative governments. This axiomatically creates an adversarial relationship between the media and those in power, regardless of which labels are used to describe their politics. Look at the field day the media had with Clinton.