Liberal/Conservative Views on Free Speech

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
Originally posted by: miguel
Originally posted by: rjain
Actually, the grouping is appropriate when applied to these three people, at least.
I absolutely agree. But calling everyone in that group "conservative" is not being honest. They are all nuts.
They are also conservatives and their crimes were motivated by their conservative beliefs. Somebody was doing something that was different to how things were done at some point in the past that they care about, so they killed those people.

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Originally posted by: miguel
Actually, the grouping is appropriate when applied to these three people, at least.
I absolutely agree. But calling everyone in that group "conservative" is not being honest. They are all nuts.
They are also conservatives and their crimes were motivated by their conservative beliefs. Somebody was doing something that was different to how things were done at some point in the past that they care about, so they killed those people.

We are not disagreeing here. All I'm saying is that calling Bin Laden "conservative" is like calling the Night Stalker "Hispanic." Sure, it's a fact, but it distorts the truth by associating hispanics with serial killing.

Also, people who kill are not motivated by anything. They are insane people. By saying what you say above, one can conclude that you would kill too if something you care about becomes violated by someone else. It's simply two different things. People who kill other people when not at war or self-defense are crazy people.

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
I was trying to say that the Unabomber CAN'T be the extreme for liberals trying to suppress free speach because they guy is a conservative in the first place, like Osama and the Oklahoma City bombers. I'm not saying that liberals will or won't act the same way or that all conservatives or all liberals act that way.

Also, I don't know how you could claim that someone who isn't a conservative would act like some conservatives act because he talks about conservatives acting that way. That's like saying that Rush Limbaugh would go hug a tree because he's blasting environmentalists.

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't think you were blasting conservatives. I made no assumption about your political beliefs. I was pointing out that generalizing is bad.

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
Well, I guess I wasn't blasting conservatives so much as pointing out that the Unabomber is one, like others who act similarly for similar reasons. I used the word "blasting" because that's pretty much all Rush Limbaugh is capable of doing. :)