lian li or antec

JoLim24601

Mar 14, 2005
K well I've seen like 3424242 people at anandtech recommend the sonata but i've been leaning towards the lian li pc7b... which do you guys think is better for cooling? you can also prefer another case (like the tsunami or v3000) if you want. just state your reason.

airfoil

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2001
I prefer Lian Li. I cant say I have a reason, especially to explain how & why it cools better - I just like it better.

sniperruff

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
i'd just get a chieftec aluminum case and some quiet fans.
i don't like how lian li's cases look... they usually look very un-inspiring.

KoolDrew

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I myself like Lian li cases better. So simple yet nice looking. I don't know how well that paticular case cools compared to the sonata though.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
My brother has a Sonata but it runs fairly warm on the stock fans. But it is quiet and he could add a fan if he wanted.

I prefer Antec designs over Lian Li although the Lian Li's are fine cases too.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
If you use the "fans only" connector, the Sonata is very quiet, and they run cool also. The only Lian-li case I have, I hate (at $300) due to the horrible cooling solution. (It has the psu at the bottom, and no fans high in the case, so it gets very hot in there, unlike the pc-7b)

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
OT - belongs in C & C...

I would go for the Antec SLK3000-B (the 3700-AMB is the same case in diff color w/ PSU) over most other mid-tower cases - simply a better design for cooling and noise than most others regardless of price (including the Sonata or BQE). Add an XClio 450 PSU and that covers just about any level of system a person might want. If you don't want a door, the Compucase 6A19 series is identical inside. The Evercase 42x2 series is as good (except you'll probably have to order the HD vibe dampers separately - check with your vendor) and has a bit more clearance for long add-on cards.
. If you need something qite a bit bigger, the Silverstone Berserker is my recommendation w/ the same XClio 450 PSU unless you plan to have a plethora of drives, etc. See my review of the Berserker: http://www.techimo.com/reviews/ - just click on the pic at the top.
. In general, I'll stick with a steel case as they are inherently less noisy than aluminum.

.bh.