Discussion Lian Li O11D EVO XL Case

CodeBeholder

Jan 18, 2023
GN did a video on it, but I have not seen much else on it so I thought I'd start a discussion here.

I'm super excited for this case, I love the OG O11D Evo, but it can't really fit a 4090.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Do you mean it won't fit in the upright configuration? Because it will clearly fit when installed normally or with the vertical bracket.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
4090's fit fine in the O11 EVO. They won't fit in the regular O11 unless its vertical mounted. But the EVO fits them. Done of photos and videos on the internet with both FE and AIB cards being mounted in the standard horizontal position.

GPU LENGTH CLEARANCE = 426 mm
CPU HEIGHT CLEARANCE = 167 mm

The 4090 FE is 336 mm x 140 mm

CodeBeholder

Jan 18, 2023
Do you mean it won't fit in the upright configuration? Because it will clearly fit when installed normally or with the vertical bracket.

Yes, I'm going for the upright installation.

Even if I wasn't I would prefer to have more breathing room to run the cables so that the VHPWR cable isn't stressed. The main reason I like the EVO is because of the fairly novel upright GPU mount, and the new case takes it to the next level.

CodeBeholder

Jan 18, 2023
Just thought I'd post an update I got directly from Lian-Li here:
Current ETA for the O11 Dynamic Evo XL is Q2 2023. We'll have an update about this case at Computex in June.

Also, this is the video from GN that goes into detail about the case.

I have two new 7950x / 4090 builds waiting for this case, I considered the NV7... but it doesn't have the Dynamic capability and these PCs will be displayed side-by-side, so being able to flip them would be great.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Yes, I'm going for the upright installation.

I would use a Thermaltake Tower case for this type of orientation.

The Level 20 HT snow edition, also allows the board to be rotated 90 degree's so your ports are located all at the top along with the GPU.

Large front open area, allows even a portable monitor to be mounted inside, and usb3.2 cable hidden, so you can have a large LCD display up front.

I have a Tower 900 for a build.

Its a big brother version with a 480 radiator x 2 support, but if your not custom Liquid cooling, i do not see the need over a Level 20 HT, which i feel even looks better aesthetically then a tower 900.

EDIT:
BAH the level 20 HT will not fit a 4090.
Your pretty much left with the tower 900 option only.
But its a BIG case, which i think is too much case in what your looking for.

Last edited:

CodeBeholder

Jan 18, 2023
I would use a Thermaltake Tower case for this type of orientation.

The Level 20 HT snow edition, also allows the board to be rotated 90 degree's so your ports are located all at the top along with the GPU.

Large front open area, allows even a portable monitor to be mounted inside, and usb3.2 cable hidden, so you can have a large LCD display up front.

I have a Tower 900 for a build.

Its a big brother version with a 480 radiator x 2 support, but if your not custom Liquid cooling, i do not see the need over a Level 20 HT, which i feel even looks better aesthetically then a tower 900.

EDIT:
BAH the level 20 HT will not fit a 4090.
Your pretty much left with the tower 900 option only.
But its a BIG case, which i think is too much case in what your looking for.

Also, the heatpipe in many GPUs will not work if it is positioned incorrectly (ie with the IO at the top of the case vs at the bottom when upright), the upright GPU mount that Lian-Li offers supports an upright GPU configuration where the GPU can be positioned in either direction.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Also, the heatpipe in many GPUs will not work if it is positioned incorrectly (ie with the IO at the top of the case vs at the bottom when upright),

This only held true back in the earily 2000's.
I think you lost how vapor heat pipes + real wicks bypass gravity.

Also your looking at a 1600 dollar gpu.
Please tell me which vendor you chose that decided to cheap out on 20 dollar heat pipes on a 1600 dollar gpu, so i will NEVER buy from them .

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I don't know where they got the research, but Lian-Li seems to think there is a difference. As does Gamers Nexus.

The only way i see is the heat getting trapped at the top of the case due to poor fan control.
Then your top fan cycling the hot air at the top of the case.

ASUS and MSI for example, do not use cheap heat pipes on any of the 4080-4090's.
Neither does Zotac.

Even Tiwanese vendors like Maxsun and Yestron does not use cheap heat pipes.

Can you show me where Steve says there are issues with heat pipes?

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
OK he' talks about the vapor chamber and how it needs to be flat because of how the principle works.
I understand that, by having the card hang vertical, your only covering less then half the surface area with that liquid and just boiling it at the bottom, then thoughout the entire plate as if it was run horizontally.

But then with that same notion, having the gpu sideways would be the same thing.
Meaning horizontal builds, or gpu's which sit on the pci-e slot vertically.

That means only doing the regular mounting would compensate for vapor chambers.
This can be easily adjusted by looking for a card which does not use the vapor chamber.