Lga 1155

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
I'm finding a lot of good deals on the non-overclockable i7-2600. (Note, no K!)

If you're looking to max out on the cheap, that's the sure-fire way to go. The 3770 next generation is nicer but not guaranteed to work unless a BIOS update adds support in there, plus I've been finding it 50% more expensive!

It's selling cheap because it's older - but still awesome! Best $120 you could spend if you actually need the CPU power at all. If she's not needing that power, some extra RAM and a larger+slower SSD would likely make her machine feel more 'peppy' than the i7 would.

Jan 27, 2009
I'm finding a lot of good deals on the non-overclockable i7-2600. (Note, no K!)

If you're looking to max out on the cheap, that's the sure-fire way to go. The 3770 next generation is nicer but not guaranteed to work unless a BIOS update adds support in there, plus I've been finding it 50% more expensive!

It's selling cheap because it's older - but still awesome! Best $120 you could spend if you actually need the CPU power at all. If she's not needing that power, some extra RAM and a larger+slower SSD would likely make her machine feel more 'peppy' than the i7 would.
16gb ram and ssd already installed

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
16gb ram and ssd already installed

Then max away. ;) Keep one eye open for an i7-2600 deal or even an off-lease complete system that includes one. My last steal was one of those... the SFF business system had been dropped so the case was a mess but the RAM/HDD/2600 all worked fine for only $100-ish USD. :wub:

Jan 27, 2009
Then max away. ;) Keep one eye open for an i7-2600 deal or even an off-lease complete system that includes one. My last steal was one of those... the SFF business system had been dropped so the case was a mess but the RAM/HDD/2600 all worked fine for only $100-ish USD. :wub:
Where?

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011

One of those lucky right-place-at-right-time moments with someone who thought a cracked-up case was the end of a computer. :D I've gotten a few lucky deals that way and those are the days my PC hobby makes a tidy profit instead of small loss. ;)