LG OLED TV not connecting to 5G Network

Robertino7

Aug 16, 2018
I recently hardwired a new 2017 LG OLED55C7P TV with Cat 7 ethernet cable to a Motorola MG 7700 Cable Modem Plus AC 1900 Router, and while my wireless devices like a Samsung Galaxy s7 are connected to its 5G network, I can only get the TV to work on the 2.4G network. I've since read where others whether wired or wireless, have had the same difficulty with OLED TVs though no solutions offered per how to resolve it. I've since gone on Motorola's online system, which only served to confuse me further. Does anyone know how to fix this and if so, whether having this TV on a 5G network significantly improves its performance?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Waitasec... if you're hard-wired with Cat7 cable, you are using NEITHER the 2.4Ghz, NOR the 5Ghz network bands on your router. You're WIRED.

So, what's the real issue here? You may not even have an issue.

If the "Network Name" that you are connected to, in the TV settings, shows "24" or otherwise indicates the SSID of your router's 2.4Ghz network SSID (name), then it may just be an artifact of how the router's MAC addresses for the LAN and WAN and 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi are laid out. On some routers, the 2.4Ghz wifi and the LAN MAC are the same.

Does the TV work wired, or does it not work properly?

Btw, it's not a "5G Network". What you are working with, is 5Ghz Wifi. NOT "5G". 5G is the fifth-generation cell-phone network, and has nothing to do with 5Ghz wifi N or AC wireless.

Reactions: Robertino7

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I recently hardwired a new 2017 LG OLED55C7P TV with Cat 7 ethernet cable to a Motorola MG 7700 Cable Modem Plus AC 1900 Router,
If you can get consistant 2.4G connection that's over 25Mbps,
He's hard-wired.

I believe that what he is seeing, is purely a cosmetic network-naming artifact, due to shared MAC addresses on the router.

I have yet to hear about any actual problems from the OP.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
He is hard wired because he can't get 5G Wi-Fi to work.

2.4G Wi-Fi works fine according to him.

Robertino7

Aug 16, 2018
Thank you, Virtual Larry for clarifying what is now so obvious [in my case], that there is no issue.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
He is hard wired because he can't get 5G Wi-Fi to work.

2.4G Wi-Fi works fine according to him.
Then the OP needs to learn English, and learn how to express his problem, if any.

Btw, OP, you're not using the DFS channels on your router, are you? Not all 5Ghz wifi devices support all of the 5Ghz channels.

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
One of the LG owner said

I found a possible long-time solution for the connection issues which seem to be more of an issue on the 5Ghz wifi networks.

I took a look at the channel my wifi was operating on and it was automatically choosing something above channel 100 (i think it was 102).

After having this problem on and off for about 3 months now I just for the hell of it switched automatic channel selection off and set it to channel 36 manually.

That which has been 1 MBit immediately changed to 65 MBit on the TV!!!

No restart, no clearing of cookies, no Quick Start+ off, nothing.

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/lg-tv-wi-fi-connection-problem/

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I know Amazon fire sticks can't connect to 5ghz 80mhz or 160mhz channels, but 20mhz and 40mhz work fine. Could be a similar issue.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I know Amazon fire sticks can't connect to 5ghz 80mhz or 160mhz channels, but 20mhz and 40mhz work fine. Could be a similar issue.
That's kind of weird. It sounds like those devices have defective firmware. I thought that channel width was negotiated as part of the station associate protocols? Or are they only 5Ghz 'N', and not 'AC'?

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
That's kind of weird. It sounds like those devices have defective firmware. I thought that channel width was negotiated as part of the station associate protocols? Or are they only 5Ghz 'N', and not 'AC'?
AFAIK, no, the 802.11AC standard does not require 80mhz or 160mhz channel support. Especially when you consider the fact in the US there is only a single non-overlapping 160mhz channel available, and 2 available in the EU, it's generally not an issue since in most deployments using 160mhz wouldn't make much since anyway. Similar issues arise with 80Mhz channels and dense wifi deployments since there are only 5-6 non-overlapping 80Mhz channels available. So you end up with devices that only support 20mhz or 40mhz channels. Since 99% of wifi networks end up using 20 or 40Mhz channel width, it's generally not an issue.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Interesting info.

https://community.extremenetworks.c...are-the-5ghz-non-dfs-non-overlapping-channels

Not all of the channels in the 5 Ghz band are useable all of the time. If you are near an airport then some of the 5 Ghz channels are not available to you. DFS stands for Dynamic Frequency Selection so basically you have that feature turned on and your APs will listen for Radar or first responders using those 'shared' frequencies and not use those channels if they are being used.

Robertino7

Aug 16, 2018
Well, this thread has gone to some interesting places, although most of the tech language is over my head. Consistent with any new learning experience however, I found it fascinating all the same.

As Virtual Larry first suggested, there was indeed no problem given my initial setup; I simply jumped the gun.

Hardwiring was my original intention, not an alternative chosen after failing to achieve a lack of desired results through a wireless connection, as another poster speculated. Still, the links which followed were of great interest to me.

In fact, with the ethernet connection every series/movie had indicated next to, or underneath its title, whether shown in HD, Ultra 4K HD, or Dolby Vision, along where applicable, sound capabilities like Dolby Surround or Atmos. Furthermore, and apropos to my initial concern, in every case there was an icon located next to the other info that its content was in 5.1, not 2.4, so yeah, right you were VL and I thank you for that, despite some of the snark thrown my way, lol.

For all those having the difficulties I'm seeing on the CNET LG web os TV forum with wireless CONNECTIONS I'd recommend as is almost always the case, that you hardwire your TV.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
In fact, with the ethernet connection every series/movie had indicated next to, or underneath its title, whether shown in HD, Ultra 4K HD, or Dolby Vision, along where applicable, sound capabilities like Dolby Surround or Atmos. Furthermore, and apropos to my initial concern, in every case there was an icon located next to the other info that its content was in 5.1, not 2.4.

That means the media contents you are playing are recorded in Sorround Sound 5.1 audio format. It has nothing to do with 5GHz Wi-Fi. :D

https://www.google.com/search?q=5.1+surround+sound

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.1_surround_sound

Since you are hard wired with gigabit ethernet, you don't have to worry about your Wi-Fi any more, be it 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz frequency.

And frequency is not speed. Don't mixed it up. :)

Last edited:

Robertino7

Aug 16, 2018
Thanks mxnerd, lol. As mentioned, I'm green as it comes, and any corrections or clarifications are welcome. Perhaps I'd be better off in the future knowing what I'm talking about before putting it out there (he sez, pulling foot out of mouth).

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
in every case there was an icon located next to the other info that its content was in 5.1, not 2.4, so yeah, right you were VL and I thank you for that, despite some of the snark thrown my way, lol.
Now I'm REALLY confused. "5.1" next to audio / movie content, has nothing to do with 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz wifi.

Robertino7

Aug 16, 2018
Scroll up to my response to xnerd. As mentioned, I'm green as it comes and still get confused, misunderstanding a lot of things. This was one of them.