LG Hi-Fi Plus or Onboard Audio?

MtSeldon

Jan 13, 2014
I have two ways of connecting my headphone (Sennheiser 598SE) to my desktop computer.
  1. Asus maximus hero VI has onboard audio, ROG SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC : SupremeFX Shielding™ Technology ELNA premium audio capacitors

2. LG Hi-Fi Plus with B&O Play , which has ES9028C2M processor + Sabre9602C headphone amplifier. It supports music up to 32-bit/384kHz
Which one would you choose? Would it make significant difference?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
If you already have the DAC, why not try out your onboard audio first, and then try it out with the DAC and see if you can tell a difference?

Generally speaking, discrete audio devices will be an improvement, but until you posted this, I had no idea LG offered this DAC. Your headphones should be easy to drive, so that aspect is no concern. Your motherboard offers sound that is about as good as it gets for onboard audio, so you should really be happy with either of your choices.

MtSeldon

Jan 13, 2014
After finding the drivers , I installed the new DAC and tried it with different songs I know.
LG DAC is way pleasing to listen than the onboard one. Sadly , the drivers are very buggy , so I had to uninstall them. That was the reason I didn't want to plug it in the first place.

Once you hear it , there is no turning back . Now I have to buy another DAC ,this time with good driver support.

But LG DAC works flawlessly with my android phone and a few leagues above of the phones sounds hardware.