'Lexar’s New NVMe SSD Hits 7GBps, the Fastest yet for a PCIe 4.0 SSD' - Tom's

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/lexars-new-nvme-ssd-hits-7gbps-the-fastest-yet-for-a-pcie-40-ssd

NBxYfhNjD5sZ2vKK4gaJp7-650-80.jpg

It's crazy to think how fast storage has evolved over the 4-5 years. Now if the other components (plus programs and operating systems) could just keep up with the performance increases in this category.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008

arandomguy

Sep 3, 2013
I might be in the minority with this but I don't feel it's actually evolved all that much for most consumers performance wise ( obviously size/cost has improved). There is some fixation with sequential read/writes especially at high QD with NVME drives but that wasn't/isn't why SSDs were such a huge boost compared to HDDs.

Even early SSDs had something like 2 orders of magnitude better latency and random read/writes at low QDs vs HDDs. Even when RAID HDDs back then beat those SSDs in sequential they felt way slower. Look at how little QD1 random reads have actually improved comparatively speaking in SSDs even in the last 10 years.

Optane/3D Xpoint on the other hand has shown those same extreme (and if anything is held back by NVME) but it looks like it's dead in the water at the consumer level for the foreseeable future.

samboy

Aug 17, 2002
I might be in the minority with this but I don't feel it's actually evolved all that much for most consumers performance wise.......back by NVME) but it looks like it's dead in the water at the consumer level for the foreseeable future.

I don't think you are in the minority here........ I fully agree with your observations. Anyone who has upgraded from a regular Sata SSD to NVMe will see that the difference is marginal (even though the sequential speeds are much greater); even more marginal going from PCIe 3.0 to 4.0 with these drives.

However, the sequential speed is fully measurable when you copy a mulit-GB file from two such devices; the copy speed is impressive. It's just that for most people this is a once off thrill and not something that most people do on a regular basis........... 4k Video editing in raw format being one exception (but does the video software actually utilize this full bandwidth anyway?)

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
sigh...

give me half the speed @ double the cap.
Why the hell are there only like 2 consumer branded 4tb SSD's and the rest of slated over at enterprise.

My PC is not a weekend driver, i need a SSD with CAP more importantly then speed right now at this moment.
(well no, i cheated and bought a 4TB Samsung PM983 so i am set for the next couple years or until games double in install size again)

I do not own a PC to bench it to living hell for teenage girl squeeling recording breaking numbers.
I like to play games which take up 130GB of install storage each.

Really i do.... not many games you can fill even on a 2TB SSD when they are that big.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Looks to be slightly faster reads than the current PCie 4 drives with everything else about the same.