Lets talk about phobias

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
What is fear of karaoke called? Either singing it myself or having to hear others doing it :eek:
Never witnessed karaoke, but the thought kinda gives me the creeps... either to do it or witness it. Now, I can sing along with recordings and do a good job, in fact I shared an apartment with a rock and roll drummer and one day he very unexpectantly comes up to me and tells me that my sing-alongs are knockouts! That was many years ago. Even so, the thought of going into a karaoke bar ... not for me.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Earthworms terrify me. Logically, I know they are harmless. That doesn't matter, they scary.

And does the feeling extend to these little fellas? :p

1686593551927.jpeg

maxresdefault.jpg

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I posted the OP partly because I had pretty nasty dream last night involving fear of heights. The first experience I can remember about agoraphobia acrophobia was on vacation with my parents and sister and standing at the edge of the top of Hoover Dam in Nevada (it's kind of like leaning over a railing at the top of a super tall sky scraper). If you've done that you have an idea what I'm talking about. I think the water level must have been pretty low because it looked like (my vague memory, I must have been 14?) 300 yards or more to the water and a curved shoot of massive concrete to get there.Hoover dam.jpg

Attachments

• Hoover dam.jpg
    Hoover dam.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
And does the feeling extend to these little fellas? :p

View attachment 81649

maxresdefault.jpg
Lampreys don't bother me because I know I'm very unlikely to encounter one. They are, however, gross.

I was hiking in the Grand Canyon and decided to cool my feet in a stream. There were these little pink worm things living in the streambed and they kept nibbling at the soles of my feet. I elected to give up on cooling my feet.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
The first experience I can remember about agoraphobia was on vacation with my parents and sister and standing at the edge of Hoover Dam in Nevada. If you've done that you have an idea what I'm talking about.
Just a correction here: Acrophobia is heights, Agoraphobia is not wanting to leave your house or be in public spaces/near other people.
Lampreys don't bother me because I know I'm very unlikely to encounter one. They are, however, gross.
I don't know what those are, but I don't believe they are Lamprey. Lamprey are like eels with big open sucker mouths full of little teeth for latching on. I don't recall them having exoskeleton or carapace like crustaceans do.

Reactions: Muse

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Just a correction here: Acrophobia is heights, Agoraphobia is not wanting to leave your house or be in public spaces/near other people.

I don't know what those are, but I don't believe they are Lamprey. Lamprey are like eels with big open sucker mouths full of little teeth for latching on. I don't recall them having exoskeleton or carapace like crustaceans do.
Armored lampreys! Now I am scared of lampreys.

;)

• Haha
Reactions: Captante and Pohemi

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

The top one is a regular sand worm... I've used them as bait saltwater fishing many times. They look scary but can only lightly pinch not break skin. (to be clear some larger species CAN break skin and have mild venom to boot!)

The bottom however is a giant predatory/carniverous worm and is about to make short work of that fish! :oops:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Pohemi

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

Oh, you're right, I get confused about those and knew I should look it up. Actually I have some of both, I think. Well, I'm not afraid of public spaces or being near other people but there are times I just stay by myself for a while.

Now the fear of heights... that was a big part of a dream I had last night which involved playing golf. I couldn't find the 2nd tee. It was complicated. Fact is I haven't played since before the pandemic. My nephew's family invited me to their house to celebrate my BD late this summer and he belongs to a country club with a nice course. I figure to bring my clubs and want to start playing this summer and try to revitalize my game. I have been meaning to practice regularly, have a couple times, but have stalled. So, this is only one of a few dreams I've had even before the invitation about having difficulties in playing golf, kind of like last nights except they don't usually involve fear of falling from great heights.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Phobophobia - when you have nothing to fear but fear itself. Or phobophobiaphobia - fear of FDR speeches.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I guess I do have a somewhat irrational fear of bees and wasps. Sure, I've been stung any number of times, but the fear started before that (and it would appear that I'm not allergic currently). Spiders, flies, dragonflies, moths, butterflies, etc, all fine. Ones that I think could maybe sting me, I gotta nope out.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003

I was hiking in the Grand Canyon and decided to cool my feet in a stream. There were these little pink worm things living in the streambed and they kept nibbling at the soles of my feet. I elected to give up on cooling my feet.
I was taking a piss up near Mormon Lake and one of these came out of the leaf litter at me. Looked like it was about a foot long. No bueno. I'll count that as a phobia: fear of giant centipedes, specifically when my junk is out in the open.

large.jpg

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah, entering a natural body of water is a complete no-no for me. Who knows what could be lurking beneath.

I went in this lake that had this weird bog stuff at the bottom, it was solid enough to walk on as it got deeper but sometimes I'd break through. The water below the bog was SUPER cold. It was really interesting.

I get weirded out if I'm in a super deep area and there is vegetation coming up from the bottom though, something weird about how you can see it through the water and it just keeps going into darkness.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I was taking a piss up near Mormon Lake and one of these came out of the leaf litter at me. Looked like it was about a foot long. No bueno. I'll count that as a phobia: fear of giant centipedes, specifically when my junk is out in the open.

large.jpg
ALIENS!

• Haha

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

large.jpg

At one point I had 6 giant centipedes in my collection including a 10 inch purple Vietnamese the approximate thickness of a cigar, that would attempt to take your life by RUNNING UP THE TONGS when removing cricket-carcasses from its enclosure.

It would hide buried JUST below the top of the substrate (soil in this case) and surface like a breaching whale doing 90 mph!

Next to a bullet-ant they're supposed to have the most painful bite of pretty much any invert. It was the only critter in my collection that genuinely scared me! (I had a bunch of tarantulas as well)

vietnamese-centipede-care-and-maintenence.jpg

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
There a phobia about phobias?

Yes. Yes there is. :D :oops:

Phobophobia is a fear of being afraid.

You might be scared of the physical symptoms that come with fear, or feel worried that you could develop a phobia. Many people with phobophobia already have other phobias or mental health disorders.

~ Per Google/Cleveland Clinic

• Haha
Reactions: RPD

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
At one point I had 6 giant centipedes in my collection including a 10 inch purple Vietnamese the approximate thickness of a cigar, that would attempt to take your life by RUNNING UP THE TONGS when removing cricket-carcasses from its enclosure.

It would hide buried JUST below the top of the substrate (soil in this case) and surface like a breaching whale doing 90 mph!

Next to a bullet-ant they're supposed to have the most painful bite of pretty much any invert. It was the only critter in my collection that genuinely scared me! (I had a bunch of tarantulas as well)

vietnamese-centipede-care-and-maintenence.jpg
This begs the question: what in the holy hell is wrong with you?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
This begs the question: what in the holy hell is wrong with you?

For the Vietnamese I tend to agree .... I didn't keep it long for that very reason. (I sold it ... let me tell you catching that fvcker without taking a bite was a serious adrenalin rush!)

Even the other big centipedes I had were nothing like it ... I mean nobody with any sense handles giant centipedes but with all 5 you very likely could have if they were well-fed.

The "Texas Redhead Giant" I had in particular was exceptionally beautiful and liked to sit out on display. (roughly the same size as the vietnamese)

1200x0.jpg