Rx 470 disaster troubleshooting

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cen1

Apr 25, 2013
If I RMA the card they'll run a few tests, claim everything works and send it back. So I'll try to fix this myself first.

Anyway, sorry for coming out so negative, it's just frustrating to no end when 2 cards in a row are having severe issues in a few weeks and no solution in sight.

I'll update the topic if I manage to fix this.

Reactions: gradoman

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
AMD GPU drivers have typically been hit or miss for me, but I will admit that CFX support still sucks quite hard. not really AMD's fault though as much as developers.

on all of the games i used two Polaris cards, I had much worse performance and a slew of hilarious graphical anomalies. not to say i haven't had my fair share of NVIDIA drivers also, but for the most part the green team's late drivers haven't been much trouble at all.

there's always going to be users with issues, regardless of GPU/driver version and OS

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
If I RMA the card they'll run a few tests, claim everything works and send it back. So I'll try to fix this myself first.

Anyway, sorry for coming out so negative, it's just frustrating to no end when 2 cards in a row are having severe issues in a few weeks and no solution in sight.

I'll update the topic if I manage to fix this.
You don't understand, if the card won't work after a reset, and needs to be power cycled to even get a picture again, there is no possible way you can fix it.

P.S, I would record with your phone what it is doing, stick it on youtube, then send the link to the RMA guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kuosimodo

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
I've only ever had two driver related issues with AMD cards. The first (HD 6670) was a blue screen on startup after installing some new at the time driver, and the second (HD 7850) was the same issue with Crimson 17.4.2

Reactions: Kuosimodo

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Let's just admit it.. Thread Title STILL suck!
If amd drivers suck then drivers suck for video cards in general (which is still my opinion although amd now has made massive strides and is in my opinion the company best positioned driver wise for the future.)

Are there any features that we're desperately missing?
. I'd love to complain about and drivers I just don't even know where to start. They constantly get better.

PlanDreaM

Apr 26, 2017
USB drivers are not better... The official USB 3.0 driver for my laptop sucked and crashed it all the time (on windows 7, linux was fine). I had to find the manufacturer from the devid and dig up the obscure ftp they had drivers.

May 11, 2008
That may be. However, the HDMI signal loss issue is real though. Not sure if it's hardware or software, but it is real, there are multiple threads about it. I have it too. I had to use DP to HDMI cables to get my monitors working the way they're supposed to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPwLTASi2w8&t=50s

I have experienced for 2 times the issue that my tv which hdmi connected is not recognized by windows 10 as powered on and attached after turning my tv on. Turning my tv off and turning it on again resolved the issue. Windows 10 at these times also only shows my dvi connected monitor as present but not my hdmi connected tv when there was no signal transmitted to my tv.
My monitor which is connected through dvi has only once refused picture. This happened after watching a movie and after i turned my tv off and windows went back from two screens to one screen. My main screen, which is my dvi connected monitor. When windows switches screens, both screens go black for a moment, but for some reason, my monitor did not receive a signal anymore.
I do not know anymore (Do not remember) if i turned on my tv on and off again to solve the issue or that i turned on my tv, hovered to the start button and restarted windows. I think after logging off, the image on my monitor reappeared.

I am currently thinking that the signal loss issue is not because the videocard crashed or the driver crashed. No, for some reason the monitor attached is no longer seen as connected or powered on.
And signaled to windows that there is no monitor attached.
And the signal transmission to that monitor or tv is stopped. Since it only happened 3 times total in a 4 month period and was easily solved, i did not think of it much.
But it is strange.

I should note, my tv output is a clone of my main monitor.

Last edited:

OatisCampbell

Jun 26, 2013
ASUS MG279, Thermaltake SmartSE 630W.
I'd buy a good power supply before blaming the drivers. Motherboard and PSU are the backbone of any system, if you go budget on either you're asking for trouble. Always get at least mid range on those two components if you want a stable build.

Reactions: Crumpet

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I think that their installers are a far cry better than they used to be and don't bomb on my laptop or on the desktop with an amd apu.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
I use both AMD and Nvidia, both very solid and i can't really tell them apart.
Most likely hardware fault here. If you have a spare PS try it to see if the problem goes away, otherwise just RMA the card.

mastrdrver

Feb 25, 2009
That may be. However, the HDMI signal loss issue is real though. Not sure if it's hardware or software, but it is real, there are multiple threads about it. I have it too. I had to use DP to HDMI cables to get my monitors working the way they're supposed to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPwLTASi2w8&t=50s

I have this issue with my 290x. Turns out that I have a couple bad cables. I can move the cable from port to port on the card and the issue will remain. I can even move it from monitor to monitor (have 3) and it will follow the cable. The cables are Belkin DVI to HDMI cables and one cable is a HDMI that came with the monitor.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I have this issue with my 290x. Turns out that I have a couple bad cables. I can move the cable from port to port on the card and the issue will remain. I can even move it from monitor to monitor (have 3) and it will follow the cable. The cables are Belkin DVI to HDMI cables and one cable is a HDMI that came with the monitor.
No, this issue is/was specific to 480's. There is a thread on AMD community forums about it. I've tried 5 (I kid you not) different cables, and the problem never went away. There was a driver update that claimed to specifically address this problem, but I haven't a chance (or desire) to test that.

cen1

Apr 25, 2013
Changed title so people can stop being offended.

Update on the situation:
-bought Corsair rm650x
-reinstalled windows 10
-tried hdmi cable

The problem persists. Caught it on video too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1ZgZHtp7Qg

I sent card to RMA, they did 2x8 hours of tests plus additional gaming tests over the weekend, card works "perfectly".

At this point I have no ideas what to do anymore. Perhaps mobo could be at fault but I don't have a third card to verify it.. intel iGPU works with no noticable problems over DP.

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
Changed title so people can stop being offended.

Update on the situation:
-bought Corsair rm650x
-reinstalled windows 10
-tried hdmi cable

The problem persists. Caught it on video too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1ZgZHtp7Qg

I sent card to RMA, they did 2x8 hours of tests plus additional gaming tests over the weekend, card works "perfectly".

At this point I have no ideas what to do anymore. Perhaps mobo could be at fault but I don't have a third card to verify it.. intel iGPU works with no noticable problems over DP.

Got a second PC to test? Or a pal nearby with a PC you can pop your card into to test?

cen1

Apr 25, 2013
I have an old athlon machine so I guess I could pop the card in there and see what happens, it's quite an old and weak system.

@Crumpet: the fact that I need to power-cycle the system to make it work again probably excludes the monitor. And intel iGU works fine too.

I might try a different PCIe slot, just not sure if that will work since top slot is usually required.

Crumpet

Jan 15, 2017
No harm in trying.

Might also be worth running memtest.. If your ram has an intermittent fault or something that could cause the black screen.

(btw, I am sorry you're having these problems, it is crap when a system goes bad)

someEEguy

Jun 5, 2013
I have seen a few people mention pcie power issues when using the RX 4xx series with particular motherboards (usually prebuilt system boards or older motherboards). What is the model of your motherboard?

cen1

Apr 25, 2013
I have seen a few people mention pcie power issues when using the RX 4xx series with particular motherboards (usually prebuilt system boards or older motherboards). What is the model of your motherboard?

asus z170a

someEEguy

Jun 5, 2013

Have you considered selling the RX 470 (RX prices are extremely inflated right now, do to mining)? Then you could see if you have better luck with a GTX 1060 or something.

asus z170a
yeah, probably not the issue then (unless the board is defective or was damaged when the other card died).

Last edited: