Rx 470 disaster troubleshooting

cen1

Apr 25, 2013
So my R9 390 bites the dust after a year and a half, while waiting for warranty fix I buy ASUS Rx 470 just to keep me going. Works fine for a week then suddenly starts losing signal while playing games (randomly a few minutes or hours in). Well, what do you know, a full thread with miserable souls having the same problem: https://community.amd.com/thread/204905

The card literaly dies and even a reboot doesn't fix it, you need to cut the power to reboot.

So here we are in 2017, latest gen card which just dies randomly for a lot of people. I am losing my nerves fighting with hardware and software, instead of enjoying my games. 14 days passed so I can't return the card anymore and I can't use the warranty because card "works" 90% of the time (run unigine for an hour no problem..) it's just the drivers that are broken to ****!

Swearing is not allowed in the tech forums. -Shmee

Last edited by a moderator:

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Have you tried 17.4.4 drivers? One of the fixes is signal loss over HDMI for RX480 (and I presume 470 too).

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
Nope, most of the time it's user error with insufficient/broken hardware or self made software issues.

I'm not going to say their drivers are perfect, I honestly don't have the information (I'm only gaming in Linux, which has a fraction of the support, but I never get these issues). But from experience online and in the workplace I can tell you most of the time when people blame "AMD drivers" they are dead wrong.

Crumpet

Jan 15, 2017
Whats the monitor and power supply?

I've not had an issue with AMD drivers since. Well.. I've not had an issue with AMD drivers. Just arguments with CCC.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Nope, most of the time it's user error with insufficient/broken hardware or self made software issues.

I'm not going to say their drivers are perfect, I honestly don't have the information (I'm only gaming in Linux, which has a fraction of the support, but I never get these issues). But from experience online and in the workplace I can tell you most of the time when people blame "AMD drivers" they are dead wrong.
That may be. However, the HDMI signal loss issue is real though. Not sure if it's hardware or software, but it is real, there are multiple threads about it. I have it too. I had to use DP to HDMI cables to get my monitors working the way they're supposed to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPwLTASi2w8&t=50s

cen1

Apr 25, 2013

New card, clean windows 10 and driver install but games are crashing to empty display and card completely dies. Intel iGPU works with no problems. So in what world is this a user error? This couldn't be a user error even if I really tried hard to kill the GPU.

I have 1 laptop with Fedora and AMD gpu and it works perfectly fine although I never gamed too much on it. But Linux is completely seperate driver and works fine most of the time, it has nothing to do with Windows. At least on Linux you can open a bug report and work with the devs to try and solve the problem.

Crumpet

Jan 15, 2017
Still waiting to hear what power supply it is and what monitor/tv.

If you aren't providing a reasonable ampage over a single rail or you've got some funky display you could be getting these results on a perfectly reasonable and functional driver.

cen1

Apr 25, 2013
Whats the monitor and power supply?

I've not had an issue with AMD drivers since. Well.. I've not had an issue with AMD drivers. Just arguments with CCC.
ASUS MG279, Thermaltake SmartSE 630W.

cen1

Apr 25, 2013
Still waiting to hear what power supply it is and what monitor/tv.

If you aren't providing a reasonable ampage over a single rail or you've got some funky display you could be getting these results on a perfectly reasonable and functional driver.
It's a 140W card and dies playing Witcher 1, hardly a stress test.. not to mention power supply used to run R9 390 just fine.

Crumpet

Jan 15, 2017
It's a 140W card and dies playing Witcher 1, hardly a stress test.. not to mention power supply used to run R9 390 just fine.

The Rx 480 might have higher peak power draw or power spikes, which might show any flaws in an old or weak power supply.

Crumpet

Jan 15, 2017
Your power supply is a tier 4 HEC Compucase and potentially several years old, it has a weak 12v rail that shows fairly noticeable current drops

Not only that, but it's only rated up to 35°c.

Your power supply isn't even rated high enough to run an office computer let alone a gaming rig.

Sorry, I personally won't accept this one as AMD's fault.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
I had lower FPS issues with 17.4.3 but 17.4.4 seems to have fixed that, I haven't had problems with AMD drivers since the X700Pro days where I had to resort to using atitray instead, that's about ~10-12 years ago.

cen1

Apr 25, 2013
I'll play around with voltage as other people did, if that doesn't help.. sink some more money in a better power supply as a last ditch effort..

Crumpet

Jan 15, 2017
I'll play around with voltage as other people did, if that doesn't help.. sink some more money in a better power supply as a last ditch effort..

Yeah this could be anything from the Rx480 being on an older bios and drawing too much current through the motherboard PCIE slot, to a dodgy card, to a dodgy power supply.

And if all else fails, it really could be a dodgy driver issue. But try not to jump to such harsh and quick assumptions.

Which is a point, check for a bios update for the gpu

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
It's not the drivers dude. Your cards bad. That's what you get for buying asus.

cen1

Apr 25, 2013
Yeah this could be anything from the Rx480 being on an older bios and drawing too much current through the motherboard PCIE slot, to a dodgy card, to a dodgy power supply.

And if all else fails, it really could be a dodgy driver issue. But try not to jump to such harsh and quick assumptions.

Which is a point, check for a bios update for the gpu
vbios is 015.050.000.000.000000 which seems to be the latest (it's 470 btw, not 480)

I'll also try to hook up HDMI since Radeon Software 14.4 supposedly fixed a similar problem over HDMI . I wouldn't call this jumping to conclusions, it's just logical..

Reactions: Crumpet

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
vbios is 015.050.000.000.000000 which seems to be the latest (it's 470 btw, not 480)

I'll also try to hook up HDMI since Radeon Software 14.4 supposedly fixed a similar problem over HDMI . I wouldn't call this jumping to conclusions, it's just logical..

It's not even close to logical. AMD Sold 3.8 Million GPU Units Q4 2016. Do you see anywhere close to that complaining on the forums? No? Then it's not logical to say that this is some extremely broad issue afflicting many many users.

People for some reason always want to say the specific tech problem they're having must be encountered by everyone everywhere.

For what its worth, the only AMD GPU I have in active use is my work laptop with an AMD FirePro. With AMD's dedication to Quarterly releases of their professional drivers, it's been rock solid. better than when the laptop was even issued to me. Runs between its 1 screen, and 4 screens all day long depending on where I'm at in the office.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
I HAD an RX470, prior to that I had 290 something,too many issues and errors in event viewer.
Switched to Nvidia 1050ti. Now I am a happy camper

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
I HAD an RX470, prior to that I had 290 something,too many issues and errors in event viewer.
Switched to Nvidia 1050ti. Now I am a happy camper

I had a 290 and HAVE a fury. No errors in event viewer. I'm a happy camper

Reactions: kawi6rr

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
cen1, I cannot admit that something "sucks" just because you find it to be so. My experience with AMD drivers in the last years to 2 has been VERY good.

Reactions: Bacon1

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
Couple of glitches here and there, but overall, AMD's drivers are pretty solid for a while now. Really seems like the problem's with the card or PSU in your case.

Reactions: Bacon1

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I would say AMD drivers are fine for the most part. Only issues I have seen have been CF related in certain games, or an older issue with DP on my 6950's when I had them, though that could have been the mini DP to DP adapter for all I know.

For most users, I would suspect drivers from either vendor to be a non issue.

PlanDreaM

Apr 26, 2017
They work for me, really don't have any problems.

I would say AMD drivers are fine for the most part. Only issues I have seen have been CF related in certain games, or an older issue with DP on my 6950's when I had them, though that could have been the mini DP to DP adapter for all I know.

For most users, I would suspect drivers from either vendor to be a non issue.

Possibly, maybe even the display or the cable. I had massive problems on my older DELL; never worked correctly on DP with any card really.