Let's draw parallels between Tim McVeigh and the NRA

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 30, 2006
McVeigh was talking about mass murder that he actually perpetrated. The statement of fact that assault rifles are involved in a very small percentage of gun murders has nothing to do with this. You are a single minded hack that will go to any lengths, such as comparing apples to assault rifles, to support your flimsy position. Attempting to compare McVeigh to the NRA or its members is despicable.
It's well beyond despicable...this is what mental depravity looks like.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
He's using the same basic argument: in the big scheme of things, their deaths are insignificant compared to death across society as a whole.

His argument is for not showing remorse. The NRA/rational people's statement of fact is for not restricting the Constitutional rights of citizens. Massive difference that your deficient thinking probably can't comprehend. Honestly, you and this thread make me sick.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
His argument is for not showing remorse. The NRA/rational people's statement of fact is for not restricting the Constitutional rights of citizens. Massive difference that your deficient thinking probably can't comprehend. Honestly, you and this thread make me sick.

It's relying on the same logic. McVeigh is not going to show remorse because death happens. The NRA won't agree to any measures to prevent gun massacres because...death happens.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
karmypolitics

I suggest you drive the point home. Show the country that we need gun control. Get yourself an assault rifle, go to your state capital and start shooting. Be sure to write a letter beforehand, explaining that you're sorry, but that you're a Democrat and believe that gun control is important and that you're willing to do whatever it takes to wake people up.

This is a brilliant idea!

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
That's rich. While we're at it, how about we compare Ronald McDonald and Hitler? Both have killed millions after all. :rolleyes:

Seriously Karmy, this may not be as offensive as DCal wishing gun rights protestors would die to prove his point, but it's just as retarded. Kindly shut up, we're already locking you in Spidey's playpen.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
For starters,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_McVeigh

- Tim McVeigh.

That's right, Tim McVeigh is making the argument that in the big scope of things, killing 168 people in OK City is no big deal. In that year it was probably a fraction of all deaths by car accidents and drowning in swimming pools, so why is everyone so outraged?

LOL, what a piss poor example you used. So lets do the exact opposite and ban the two primary ingredients he used to make the bomb, how about that?

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Dont feed the troll.
You forgot the sign.

dont-feed-the-troll.jpg

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
LOL, what a piss poor example you used. So lets do the exact opposite and ban the two primary ingredients he used to make the bomb, how about that?

No. It's more like the NRA objecting to

- large scale ammuntion purchases being tracked

- national registry of gun owners

Fertilizer was monitored following the attacks. But somehow with guns, it's not the innocent gun's fault at all

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
It's relying on the same logic. McVeigh is not going to show remorse because death happens. The NRA won't agree to any measures to prevent gun massacres because...death happens.

But I am using the same logic as you are, we should absolutely ban the objects that allowed such death and destruction to happen, correct? At the very least you should have to undergo a background check, safety class, and mandatory waiting period to obtain either of the two primary ingredients (if you don't wish to outright ban them which I can't see why you wouldn't), right? Heck, they should be much higher on the list considering how many lives were taken in just a single incident, far higher than any single (or two or three) gun rampage.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
says someone who wrote a biography on the man:

In the gun show culture, McVeigh found a home. Though he remained skeptical of some of the most extreme ideas being bandied around, he liked talking to people there about the United Nations, the federal government and possible threats to American liberty.[27]

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
But I am using the same logic as you are, we should absolutely ban the objects that allowed such death and destruction to happen, correct? At the very least you should have to undergo a background check, safety class, and mandatory waiting period to obtain either of the two primary ingredients (if you don't wish to outright ban them which I can't see why you wouldn't), right? Heck, they should be much higher on the list considering how many lives were taken in just a single incident, far higher than any single (or two or three) gun rampage.

For starters, OK City was a political act.

The others are all murder suicides.

Pretty big difference, actually.

Secondly, there are a number of less publicized mass shootings. If you add them all up, they exceed OK City.

edit: I do waver on banning or not banning. Like, given resistance to background checks (several local sheriffs have refused), it might be easier to simply ban weapons across the board. OTOH, I do understand why law abiding citizens might enjoy the rifle, so I'd like to create a better regulatory system that kept the rifles in law abiding hands and out of the hands of random psychos. However, several local government agencies refuse to participate, so that undermines it.

Last edited:

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
The state of Connecticut has, on average, 37 abortions every single day.

Newtown doesn't even scratch the surface of a sea of dead children.

You mean sea of dead clumps of cells with no brain matter? How is that different than regular ovulation, masturbation, or scratching your knee? Not everyone subscribes to your personal sky wizard you know...

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
karmypolitics

I suggest you drive the point home. Show the country that we need gun control. Get yourself an assault rifle, go to your state capital and start shooting. Be sure to write a letter beforehand, explaining that you're sorry, but that you're a Democrat and believe that gun control is important and that you're willing to do whatever it takes to wake people up.

Why would he have to be a democrat? Lol.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
What McVeigh was saying was that the people killed in OKC were casualties of a war on the government. He didn't hate them, but at the same time he wouldn't feel guilty for taking their lives for his cause.

This thread is trolltastic, btw.