Let the tip war begin! - Woman uses "single mom" as excuse not to tip, total - $138

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I highly doubt it. Sorry Bill, but $25/hr as a bartender is just insane. Anybody who isn't half retarded can quickly get people their beverages. Same applies to food. This is a job that doesn't even require communication skills, just say "what can I get you" and get it for them.

This is one of the most ignorant things I have ever read on AT

So I'm going to dismiss it as trolling. Nice try AZ-face...

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
This is one of the most ignorant things I have ever read on AT

So I'm going to dismiss it as trolling. Nice try AZ-face...

Maybe that's why he doesn't understand how and why a good bartender in a good bar could pull in $25/hr.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I wouldn't work for less than $25 / hr average and often make more. If bars had to play employees that, prices would skyrocket

yeah. a buddy of mine was a bartender. i would go in for free beer and watch. everyone tipping 1-2 bucks a drink or more depending on how friendly he was.

while he made a ton there was a chick who worked with him. she was 25ish and a 9/10. VERY friendly and fast. She made FAR FAR more then he did (she never said how much but she would have a huge pile of cash at the end of the night).

I always said i wanted to own a bar but i just don't have the personality to be a barkeeper. but it sure looks fun

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
False. Private business can deny anyone business without a reason. Dumbass

Depends on if it would violate the civil rights act. If the person who stiffed on the tip was anything but white, they most likely would not be able to deny her service.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
138 rounded up to 140, divide by 4 and you get $35.

Tip $30-35

Alot of times I pass up eating at sonic because I don't carry cash very often and don't like stiffing the car hops.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Fuck the look, I dont want people pissing in my food, which (according to this thread) is pretty fucking regular.

To be honest, in all the years of my restaurant-going, I've NEVER had the same waiter twice. Maybe people live in places where there's only 2 restaurants and see the same people in town?

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
If you don't want to tip, then don't tip... but don't make excuses for it.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
To be honest, in all the years of my restaurant-going, I've NEVER had the same waiter twice. Maybe people live in places where there's only 2 restaurants and see the same people in town?

50% of the time I'm going to a place to visit a specific server or bartender, 25% of the time its because I like the whole staff, and 25% of the time I'm going somewhere new.

Going for Oysters right now because I know the bartender.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
50% of the time I'm going to a place to visit a specific server or bartender, 25% of the time its because I like the whole staff, and 25% of the time I'm going somewhere new.

Going for Oysters right now because I know the bartender.

bartender, maybe, but getting the same waiter in a normal restaurant is next to impossible, you see, you are seated by the host, and they seat you based on a plan, everytime you go there, its highly probable you will sit at a different area or table. And waiters have their own area and tables, so its highly improbable that you get the same waiter 50% of the time, UNLESS, its like a local diner or you ask to be seated on the same table, but still the tables are areas are rotated amongst waiters in most restaurants.

tranceport

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
www.thesystemsengineer.com
Any right-thinking person hates the tipping culture in the service industry.

The cheapasses are the people who refuse to pay their staff properly.

Tipping serves no positive purpose at all. You can go to places like Sweden and Iceland, where tipping doesn't really exist, and the service will be no worse than what you get in the US.

I've confirmed this to be the case in the UK, Ireland, Germany, France and Switzerland.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I've confirmed this to be the case in the UK, Ireland, Germany, France and Switzerland.

What happens usually is people go to the cattle car places state-side and then the nicer more intimate places when travelling.

One of the big things in the US is the cheap cost of food in even major cities.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
bartender, maybe, but getting the same waiter in a normal restaurant is next to impossible, you see, you are seated by the host, and they seat you based on a plan, everytime you go there, its highly probable you will sit at a different area or table. And waiters have their own area and tables, so its highly improbable that you get the same waiter 50% of the time, UNLESS, its like a local diner or you ask to be seated on the same table, but still the tables are areas are rotated amongst waiters in most restaurants.

If you are a regular customer there isn't many places that will not allow you to sit in the 'section' you want. If you want a server, they will give you them.

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
Since when is tipping manditory? It's optional based on service.

If she is a single mother and lacks funds she probably shouldn't be going out to eat. $140 supports a family for a week or so.

So yes, poor excuse.

She should've put down, I'm a cheap skate.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008

If she is a single mother and lacks funds she probably shouldn't be going out to eat. $140 supports a family for a week or so.

So yes, poor excuse.

well, she's a cheap skate because she made the excuse. I am sure every day many go without tipping, but they are not in news, she's in news because of the excuse.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

So yes, poor excuse.

This is just trolling.

Tipping is mandatory for service. The amount of that tip is what's flexible.

15% for food service is standard for basic service. That 15% buys you both the typically slow service at a TGIF/etc type place and multiple-server 0-wait service at something like the Four Seasons/etc. You can't expect to not have to ask your server for refills and the like at any type of <$10 entree place especially on a popular night. They are having to cover far more tables than normal so you can enjoy your cheap meals.

For things like getting your bags hopped, $1-2 a bag is still standard. You don't get to get the service and then say "hey sorry bro, tipping is optional".

It's only recently that society's cheapskates have tried to turn the definition of a tip for services into an optional part. Tipping in general is optional...tipping when specific things like a service is referenced usually is not.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
You can't expect to not have to ask your server for refills and the like at any type of <$10 entree place especially on a popular night. They are having to cover far more tables than normal so you can enjoy your cheap meals.

"Sorry I was slow with service but I was busy working for other tables making money from them so I couldn't focus as much on you as I should have"

Think about how ridiculous that would sound in any other industry.

"Yeah, sorry we didn't finish your print job, but we had a lot of other customers who paid us a crap load of money and we had to serve them too, we will have it done a few days late"

I've heard this argument before. If they are covering more customers than normal, and each customer tips them less than normal, it'll all balance out and they will make the usual money.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Depends on if it would violate the civil rights act. If the person who stiffed on the tip was anything but white, they most likely would not be able to deny her service.

California says if you refuse service for someone not leaving tip, and you are not collecting SALES TAX on all of your tips then you are guilty of Tax Evasion. Any business does this to me I would report them ASAP. Nearly all states with sales tax have similar laws. Any mandatory tipping is subject to sales tax and sales tax must be collected for it.

Last edited:

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
I loled at the conspiracy theorists crying "fake!"

But I do have to admit that the handwriting on the tip line vs. bottom of the note looks different. *shrugs*

It was posted on the internet, it must be true!

-KeithP

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
I hope stuff like this keeps happening. Then maybe people will wake up and get rid of the tipping system - just add a service charge or increase the price of meals. It just makes sense.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Assholes that don't tip and go back to the same place generally get their food fucked with, we have a guy at work you brags about his lack of tipping and eats at the same places all the time, he's probably tasted more spunk than a Tijuana crack whore but he thinks he's coming out on top, wrong asshole..

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
This is just trolling.

Tipping is mandatory for service. The amount of that tip is what's flexible.

15% for food service is standard for basic service. That 15% buys you both the typically slow service at a TGIF/etc type place and multiple-server 0-wait service at something like the Four Seasons/etc. You can't expect to not have to ask your server for refills and the like at any type of <$10 entree place especially on a popular night. They are having to cover far more tables than normal so you can enjoy your cheap meals.

For things like getting your bags hopped, $1-2 a bag is still standard. You don't get to get the service and then say "hey sorry bro, tipping is optional".

It's only recently that society's cheapskates have tried to turn the definition of a tip for services into an optional part. Tipping in general is optional...tipping when specific things like a service is referenced usually is not.

Its only mandatory because you and a few people say it is. A waitress gets paid to do a job, so why should I pay her extra? Plus, why isnt it standard to tip the cashier at a grocery store? They are providing a personal service, but no one expects to tip them. I work in IT Support, going to each employees desk and providing a custom complex service that requires a highly specific set of skills, yet I am never tipped for my efforts. Should we also be tipping bus drivers and airline pilots? They are providing services as well, just like cab drivers. What about maids at a hotel, who ever tips them? Or the garbage men picking up your trash? The mechanic who fixes your car or changes your oil?

It annoys the fuck out of me that its an expectation/requirement to tip now, and you're considered an asshole if you don't. If you think back to the origins of tipping, it was to offer gratitude to the cooks/chefs for a fantastic tasting meal. Now it has somehow shifted to an expectation to pay someone who walks between the kitchen and your table carrying your food. Without tips, you get paid a certain wage, and that wage is the market wage for that position. If its not enough, go find a better job, or go on strike. I always laugh when people complain that a Wal Mart checkout wage isnt enough to support a single mom with two kids. Your job is to stand there and scan items all day, what kind of wage do you expect?

This shit has to stop.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
To say tipping is mandatory just reinforces the entitlement attitude that the USA has become. Tipping was VERY COMMON because the USA was free and capitalist once, if there were inequities in certain labor situations, people tipped to make up for it, because that's what people do. Now that there are so many social services there to protect and entitle people, what is the real need for tipping? It's original context is non-existent, but it seems to have been transformed into an entitlement. It's sad to see how social services can completely warp a culture and put the nation in such disharmony.