Let ATOT be the judge!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Brainonska511
I'd tell them to piss off. They bought it used and it could have been damaged when they moved it upstairs. They could also learn how to use plywood (stick some small pieces under the leg that is making it uneven.

They don't even need to do that, the legs are adjustable.

To the OP, if the table were damaged in moving (ie a piece of the surface got damaged) then the fabric would have gotten ripped. I don't see how they can possibly claim it is your fault if the table was pristine when it got to them.

To be nice, I'd go over there and see if I could get it level for them. You are not obligated to do anything though. You offered to let them play on it to make sure everything is fine, and they accepted the table in its current condition. If it got damaged when they brought it upstairs that's really not your problem.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
Tell them to piss up a rope. If they're too stupid to be able to level it themselves they can hire a professional.

That's a new and exciting phrase for me!

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: huberm
thanks for the advice everyone. I really hate to seem like a jerk in this situation, but i'm not really sure there is anything i can do for them. If they were so concerned about all of these things they should have brought them up before purchasing the table. It is my opinion they got a really good deal on a pretty decent table, but to each his own.

Don't worry about being a jerk, they should realize that there are certain risks involved in not going retail. It's not like you offered them a warranty. They saw the table, had the chance to check the table out however they wanted, and they bought it. Even if it was warped before you sold it, it's no longer your problem.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: KK
as is...

Yeah. Did you mention that the table was sold "as is" when they bought it, or get anything in writing to that effect? If not, you might be screwed if they decide to take you to small claims court (or a Judge Judy style mediation show).

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Just refer them to a store that specializes in pool tables, they should have professionals who know how to properly set up a table.
They should have known that any tables, let along a pool table, is not likely to be perfectly level without a little work. These people seem to think pool tables auto-level or something.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Slate warps? Enough to cause the balls to roll into the pocket? This I did not know.

The slate doesn't, the frame can. Most all are three piece slate and take a fair amount of experience (not a lot, just some) to level. Then again, this leads to the 'home table' advantage.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
as is...

Yeah. Did you mention that the table was sold "as is" when they bought it, or get anything in writing to that effect? If not, you might be screwed if they decide to take you to small claims court (or a Judge Judy style mediation show).

nope. anything used is sold "as is" unless he gives a gurntee. ntohign in writing then it is a as-is sale.

i have heard slate tables need to be proffesionaly leveled. odds are it just needs someone knowing wtf they are doing.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
I just sold some stuff through Craig's List. I met them at a parking lot near my house. After we haggled on the price a little, they handed me the cash, they picked up the item and started to walk towards there car.

I was in my car and out of the parking lot before they reached their car.

Buyer beware and the deal is done.

In other words, tell them to piss off.

MotionMan

EDIT: BTW, there was nothing wrong with the item, it just was not new and not in perfect condition. I did not want to take the chance of buyers remorse kicking in - Not my problem.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Take it back charge them a fee for your time then resell it heh. They could always have someone level its thats a professional.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
as is...

Depending on the state he is in, no, he won't. In general, contract law requires an offer, acceptance, and consideration. Here there is an offer, and there is clearly consideration (the table for the cash). The only issue is acceptance. In many states, once a purchaser has received goods, they are given a short time period to inspect the goods to determine whether they are satisfactory. That time period/right can be waived under the contract. For example, if the table in this case was sold "as-is," then the buyer has no legal recourse against the seller if the table was delivered in good condition. However, if the table was not sold "as-is," than the three days the buyer had the table before calling the seller may be considered an inspection period.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: soxfan
as is...

Depending on the state he is in, no, he won't. In general, contract law requires an offer, acceptance, and consideration. Here there is an offer, and there is clearly consideration (the table for the cash). The only issue is acceptance. In many states, once a purchaser has received goods, they are given a short time period to inspect the goods to determine whether they are satisfactory. That time period/right can be waived under the contract. For example, if the table in this case was sold "as-is," then the buyer has no legal recourse against the seller if the table was delivered in good condition. However, if the table was not sold "as-is," than the three days the buyer had the table before calling the seller may be considered an inspection period.

Every state i have seen a used item from a sold privately is AS-IS no matter if it is stated or not and there is no 3 day consideriation period.

punkdork9

Nov 29, 2007
Offer to come out and look at it and try to level it. If they don't want that, then tell them to piss off. They bought it used, if they wanted to return it they should of bought from a retail place.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
If you offer to come over to level it, you're giving them the impression that you feel like you owe them something or are liable for the condition of the table. They must've inspected the table when you delivered it, so if it's damaged, it was probably when they moved it upstairs themselves.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Slate warps? Enough to cause the balls to roll into the pocket? This I did not know.

thats what i was thinking... mebbe they put the slate in upside down or something. do they surface both sides of it?

either way, tell them they should have tried it out and checked it for trueness before buying it. as-is means they are screwed. of course they can take you to court for it, but probably wouldnt win.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: soxfan
as is...

Every state i have seen a used item from a sold privately is AS-IS no matter if it is stated or not and there is no 3 day consideriation period.

Check out Massachusetts, the #1 consumer protectionist state in the nation. As for three days, that was a reference to the time this particular buyer had the table, not an indication that there is generally a three day trial period for purchased goods.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Fuck 'em. They bought it without checking it out, tough shit.

Don't give them a dime. Edit-This is assuming the table was not warped when it left your house of course.

Oh, and there is no way in hell I'd ever deliver an item like this for someone. You want it? You pick it up.