Let ATOT be the judge!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
This is the reason you sell from a storage building, and never tell anyone where you live.

xgsound

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2002
I wouldn't consider delivery or pickup of a slate pooltable unless it was for $100 per trip.

Jim

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: FoBoT
Originally posted by: huberm
What should I do?

tell them all sales final
you aren't the furniture store

Agreed. If they wanted a warranty, they should have purchased a new one. Since you offered them a chance to inspect before purchase/delivery, they had a chance to discover any problems but declined to do so. Their burden, their fault.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
If this was slate then you (the seller) could have very well damaged/fvcked it up when moving it. I'd assume it's the legs though and just tell them to fvck off.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
If this was slate then you (the seller) could have very well damaged/fvcked it up when moving it. I'd assume it's the legs though and just tell them to fvck off.

Even if he did damage it during the move, the buyer agreed to let him move it AFTER paying for the table, which to me shows acceptance of the risk of damage during the move (otherwise, they would moved it or hired someone to do it for them). I can't imagine the OP damaging the table on purpose so it comes down to an acceptance of risk on the part of the buyer.

Caveat emptor.

huberm

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2004
i figured i would post an update to anyone interested. We pretty much told them we wouldn't refund their money. They were quite angry for a while, but for the most part they quit bothering us.

I had heard through the grapevine the person we sold it to is getting sued by her landlord, so i am thinking this is a desperate move for her to try and get some money. Before this had all happened we ordered girl scout cookies from her, and she was demanding the money before we got the cookies. I have never had to do that, so I am assuming she is really desperate for money.

I love dealing with scum.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
There are a few possilities here.

Either the table was always messed up, you just weren't picky enough to notice (the buyer REALLY should have played a game on it first...there's no guarantee the seller has high standards),
It got messed up when you moved it (you'd probably remember dropping it, wedging it in an awkward spot, etc),
It got messed up when THEY moved it/used it/did something to it (in which case it's their fault),
Or it's not messed up and they're making it up.

The only case in which this would be YOUR fault is if it was damaged when you moved it, and that sounds unlikely.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Slate warps? Enough to cause the balls to roll into the pocket? This I did not know.

It doesn't. A three piece can easily be set up wrong, but this sounds like a one piece which are pretty fool proof.

I've re-covered and set up a few.