Leon (The Professional)

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Just received the DVD in the mail today and finished watching it a few minutes ago. Awesome movie (again!)!

First time I've seen the international version, but I cannot recall the original American release to know what was cut from that one. I remembered why I was captivated by Natalie Portman the first time I saw her -- she has some of the most soulful eyes ever to grace the movie screen. Wow. It also doesn't help that I lusted after a woman who was the spitting image of Natalie (no kidding -- could be her big sister).

Well, SMG has to step aside because there's a new honey in my life (fortunately, she's much older now). Sorry, Denis, but Sarah can't hold a candle to Natalie. ;)

Besides, Sarah is dating that loser Freddie Prinze, Jr. I mean, give me a break -- a grown man going around calling himself "Freddie". That's almost as bad as this one guy who was dating a law school classmate of mine who insisted he be called "Dickey".

I digress -- great movie!

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I know what you mean, Yakko, but that was the intent of Luc Besson. He did it well, and her acting is superb. It's creepy though.

dc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
the uncut/import/international version has the restaurant scene and surrounding footage that was removed from the US release.

good movie. being a cleaner sounds fun. ;)

Gatsby

Golden Member
Nov 6, 1999
Oh yes great flick but it was rather disturbing how well Portman played with Pedophilia..

Gatsby

dc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
some people think that the relationship between leon and matilda was edging dangerously close to being pedophilic (that's why those questionable scenes were cut out of the US release) but most people i've talked to consider it more of a father/daughter relationship. heh, if you want more opinions, go to amazon and read the user feedbacks, lots of good observations and stuff there. :)

dc

Chef0083

Golden Member
Dec 9, 1999
I just got this a few weeks ago and let me tell you, ALOT of it was cut. Most of Matilda's training was cut, she went a slew of hits with Leon( funny thing is you never quite know if she killed anyone herself or not ). DC is also correct,, many of the scenes that were vital to character development between Leon and Matilda were very "ify" and were cut becuase of the sexual tension, however innocent it was, between them. To me cutting those scenes made it a completely diferent movie!!

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I don't think there was anything innocent about the interplay between Leon and Mathilda. It was certainly pedophilic age-wise, but Mathilda acts far older than her age. Her actual age is reinforced at a few points (the giggling in the restaurant, the prelude to the "dress up" scene, the cartoon watching), but overall she is acting like a small woman.

If there's any doubt, when Mathilda is talking to Leon about her "first time" and how she wants it to be very special with him, there's little room for interpretation. When he says no, it's not because she's too young (he doesn't say that), he mentions the girl from Italy who was killed because of him. A good portion of Leon's character development is his troubled acceptance of Mathilda as a lover, albeit platonic, given her age and his past.