Lenses: what is the difference between featherweight and featherweight plus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AznMaverick

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2001
i was looking for some new specs and i noticed that lens crafters had 2 types of light lenses. i'm hoping that the plus is lighter and thinner than the other, but on the website it says they both are 20% thinner and 30% lighter. i currently have high index lenses (i think that's what they are called). they are a lot lighter, but they still look "thick" when light is incident due to refraction (i think?) so i'm hoping that the lenscrafters lenses might help with this problem.

Kaieye

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
featherweight = spherical lenses??

featherweight plus = aspherical lenses??

pnho

Dec 7, 2000
i just think they are polycarbonates? usually retail chains sell these as their ultra light, ultra thin lenses. I would recommend High Index 1.66 aspherics for thin and excellent optics compared to other lenses. Anti-reflective should be included and "hardness/scratch coating" are kind of a scam. Another note on polycarbs, they are great for safety glasses however, the optics are terrible and the distortion on them can cause headaches when you aren't used to them. Just remember the thinner the lens, the higher the price. I believe they have a High Index 1.71 out on the market, just at an extremely high price. If your prescription is greater then +/-3.00 then I would recommend HI 1.66.

To make ur lenses look thinner, I would recommend smaller frames, because the center cut on lenses are thinner compared to outer edges.

hope that helps.

vtqanh

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: pnho
i just think they are polycarbonates? usually retail chains sell these as their ultra light, ultra thin lenses. I would recommend High Index 1.66 aspherics for thin and excellent optics compared to other lenses. Anti-reflective should be included and "hardness/scratch coating" are kind of a scam. Another note on polycarbs, they are great for safety glasses however, the optics are terrible and the distortion on them can cause headaches when you aren't used to them. Just remember the thinner the lens, the higher the price. I believe they have a High Index 1.71 out on the market, just at an extremely high price. If your prescription is greater then +/-3.00 then I would recommend HI 1.66.

To make ur lenses look thinner, I would recommend smaller frames, because the center cut on lenses are thinner compared to outer edges.

hope that helps.

Scratch coating is not a scam. The polycarbonate is extremely vulnerable to scratches. Without the scractch-resistant coating, you won't recognize your lenses after one month.
Smaller frames do not make your lenses look thinner in all cases. If you have a minus prescription, then smaller frames mean thinner lenses. If you have a plus prescription, then smaller frames mean thicker lenses
And there is not much difference between featherweight and featherweight plus. They both have the same center thickness. The featherweight plus looks thinner because the lenses are of flatter base. And featherweight plus also looks better because of their flatter base. The coating on featherweight plus is also better than the coating on regular featherweight. This does not apply all the time, if you have a high prescription, the lab has to surface it, and if they have to surface it, then both will come out with the same coating on the back.
What kind of high-index are you wearing? If it's 1.555 high-index then it's not much thinner than featherweight since featherweight's index is ~1.5.
If your prescription is high, order hi-index 1.67. It will be thinner.

AznMaverick

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2001
thanks for the great info. my prescription is on the order of -600, so you can see why i need high index lenses, maybe i will just get the lenses from sears...hmm...

pnho

Dec 7, 2000
Originally posted by: vtqanh
Originally posted by: pnho

hope that helps.

Scratch coating is not a scam. The polycarbonate is extremely vulnerable to scratches. Without the scractch-resistant coating, you won't recognize your lenses after one month.
Smaller frames do not make your lenses look thinner in all cases. If you have a minus prescription, then smaller frames mean thinner lenses. If you have a plus prescription, then smaller frames mean thicker lenses
And there is not much difference between featherweight and featherweight plus. They both have the same center thickness. The featherweight plus looks thinner because the lenses are of flatter base. And featherweight plus also looks better because of their flatter base. The coating on featherweight plus is also better than the coating on regular featherweight. This does not apply all the time, if you have a high prescription, the lab has to surface it, and if they have to surface it, then both will come out with the same coating on the back.
What kind of high-index are you wearing? If it's 1.555 high-index then it's not much thinner than featherweight since featherweight's index is ~1.5.
If your prescription is high, order hi-index 1.67. It will be thinner.

Scratch coating is a scam. Why? because scratch coating is already "built" into the lens, they just charge u extra for what? scratch coating on the back side of the lens where most of the time the scratches occur on the outside (facing away). Like i said before, a scratch coating is already on the outside of the lens

to aznmaverick:

u might want to shop around a bit more, HI 1.66 would do u better for a thinner look. edge polish and pin beveling with help too.

AznMaverick

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2001
yea, thanks pnho i will definitely find someplace with the 1.66. i'll ask about the edge, polish, and pin beveling too (i've had polish and roll on the glasses i've had now i don't know what it means but i saw it on the prescription i think). hope the lens doesn't come out to too much...

yellowperil

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2000
I think getting the thinnest lenses are worth it, especially if you have bad eyes. I never bothered with the UV/anti-scratch coating and my lenses are fine.

tfywify

Mar 13, 2015
I brought glasses with same script at Lenscrafters that I got at doctor office glass place. The glasses from Lenscrafters is long and narrow then my previous I got feather weight this time rather then High Index. I am having hard time with lenses which seem thicker and things farther awhile are more blurry. I having harder time adjusting to new glasses. Should I take them back to get High index since I am already used to that or have them check my vision to see if they got wrong prescription for my lenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.