Lens Compatibility Question

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003
I have a Nikon 28-80mm lens that originally came with my n80 and I also got a Sigma 100-300mm lens and they were a rather extravagant gift a few years ago. I put them to great use for two photo classes I took and then haven't found as much use for them lately as I don't have the desire for film as much as before when I was manually developing rolls and prints. So I'm looking to pick up a DSLR and was curious if someone could tell me if these two lenses are compatible with the d40x - will they both work for auto focusing or will I have to focus manually?

Nikon: :camera:
Sigma: :camera:

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003
Also, as an addendum to this question, are there any comments people could give on these particular lenses and if I should be looking for one other to add to the collection or one to replace? Is there an issue that I'm missing the 80-100 segment?

I sound like a noob because I am :)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
if the nikon says AF-I or AF-S then it has an integrated motor and will work. the sigma i have no idea.

80-100 isn't missing much, and matters even less for digital (120-150 [which is the 35 mm equivalent when mounted on a nikon crop body] isn't a hugely important range, you've got most of your portraiture covered and then you start with good medium telephoto). the thing you're missing is wide angle, as that 28 will resemble a 42 mm lens on a nikon crop body. so, you should probably get a D40x with the kit lens as otherwise you're missing out completely on wide angle photography.

neither lens is particularly impressive, being that they're built to hit price points more than anything else. i'd sell the nikon with the film camera if that is what you're doing. the sigma may be worth keeping assuming it works, as it'll be a paid for super-telephoto (300 x 1.5 crop factor = 450)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny
I'm pretty sure neither of those lenses are AF compatible with the D40x. Do they each have this, the single slotted screw between the two crosshead screws? http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/images1/af.JPG

If so, chances are they aren't AF compatible.

did nikon not build in a screw for use with older bodies on the AF-I lenses?

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003
They both have that screw - the Nikon states "AF" on it and the Sigma says nothing helpful. Just out of curiousity, what changed from the n80 to the currently DSLRs that caused the auto focus to not remain compatible?

ZOXXO

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Tegeril
They both have that screw - the Nikon states "AF" on it and the Sigma says nothing helpful. Just out of curiousity, what changed from the n80 to the currently DSLRs that caused the auto focus to not remain compatible?

It is only the D40 and D40X models in the Nikon DSLR lineup that require the AF-S lenses for auto focusing.

Nikon chose not to build a focus motor into these entry level bodies to keep retail prices as low as possible.

The AF-S lenses have the focus motor built into the lenses therefore do not require the camera to drive the focusing mechanisms.

Although it hampers backward compatibility for D40(X) owners, the AF-S lenses are desirable for any Nikon body as they focus much quicker and quieter than the older versions.

ENJOY.