Question Lenovo X1 Extreme very slow and laggy

GQMan

Dec 4, 2007
ust received my brand new Lenovo i7 8850, 32 gb ram, 1 tb nvme.2 ssd purchased December 24 and I was very excited as I chose it over MacBook 2018 and dell xps 15. Out of the box I ran some cinebench and intel Extreme utility software to run some tests/benchmarks for CPU. In Cinebench I got 150 on single core and similar on multi thread test while in Intel utility tuning software I am getting 566. Even browising and typing is very laggy and choppy. I am very frustrated as I paid $2.8k CDN and I should not have to go through these tunings and setups, it should at least run its basic settings.

Bought this laptop for photo editing as I use a lot of photoshop, lightroom etc and my old MacBook 2012 is running faster. My old MacBook even loads from startup faster than X1 extreme. I loaded photoshop sametime on MacBook and X1 extreme and MacBook is opening much faster than X1 Extreme. I don't even notice a big change in the ssd nvme.2 drive as it does not seem very fast compared to MacBook.

I contacted Lenovo and am returning it as I already wasted 2 days testing it and by now am quite frustrated. I am sure there is some settings I need to update but I don't know what settings to change.

If anyone can shed some light as to what I can do to make it run faster I would really appreciate it very much.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Without some temperature data on the CPU or VRMs, it's impossible to know what's really holding you back. These days it seems like performance oddities are related to throttling: temp throttling, VRM temp throttling, or current limit throttling.

Might be you got a unit with a bad TIM application leading to CPU overheat.

Reactions: tamz_msc

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
ust received my brand new Lenovo i7 8850, 32 gb ram, 1 tb nvme.2 ssd purchased December 24 and I was very excited as I chose it over MacBook 2018 and dell xps 15. Out of the box I ran some cinebench and intel Extreme utility software to run some tests/benchmarks for CPU. In Cinebench I got 150 on single core and similar on multi thread test while in Intel utility tuning software I am getting 566. Even browising and typing is very laggy and choppy. I am very frustrated as I paid $2.8k CDN and I should not have to go through these tunings and setups, it should at least run its basic settings.

Bought this laptop for photo editing as I use a lot of photoshop, lightroom etc and my old MacBook 2012 is running faster. My old MacBook even loads from startup faster than X1 extreme. I loaded photoshop sametime on MacBook and X1 extreme and MacBook is opening much faster than X1 Extreme. I don't even notice a big change in the ssd nvme.2 drive as it does not seem very fast compared to MacBook.

I contacted Lenovo and am returning it as I already wasted 2 days testing it and by now am quite frustrated. I am sure there is some settings I need to update but I don't know what settings to change.

If anyone can shed some light as to what I can do to make it run faster I would really appreciate it very much.
Those are extremely low numbers. I'd check the Windows Power Setting; maybe set it to performance mode. Also, don't run your benchmarks on battery power. Be sure to plug in before running your tests. Also, monitor your clocks and temps with HWMonitor or Intel XTU to be sure you're not throttling. Finally, do you have a proprietary Lenovo power management on that laptop? Let's know how it goes.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Windows updates in Windows 10 can take a lot of system resources (including CPU). If the image for this model was cut before 1809, that could account account for some slowness. Go to Windows update, check for updates, and confirm everything is installed. If that doesn't improve your score, I would be on the phone with Levovo about your issue.

Reactions: ZGR

GQMan

Dec 4, 2007
Did a fresh install of windows and speeds went up but still much slower compared to my 2012 macbook pro. I really was hoping reinstalling windows would have solved the issue but it didnt. I am convinced there is some other issue. Laptop is being returned tomorrow morning. Appreciate your input fellas.