Lenovo IdeaPad Z400 Touch any good?

Nov 29, 2006
They have $100 off bringing it to $650. Is that a good deal for a 14" 1600x900 res Windows 8 Touchscreen with bluetooth and backlite keyboard?

Im looking for something in the 13.3-14" range. Bluetooth and backlite keyboard seems a nice touch. The res is better then most. Id rather have windows 7 i think, but i felt if im going to get windows 8 it should probably be touch screen. That a good line of thought?

This is the model:
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...1BE2#techspecs

Thanks

Gintaras

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2000

I just bought Lenovo G780...good specs, good computer...no support...Win8 preinstalled untill you deceide modify partitions on HDD or change to larger - blank HDD or to SSD.
Then, you'll have to purchase OS from Lenovo again....

Next day after warranty expires and HDD fails, you'll have to purchase not only new HDD but OS too...

Necrolezbeast

Apr 11, 2002
That is not what the tech specs say on it. Says 1600x900.

I see 1366x768 in the link you supplied:

Model Highlights
Part number: 59362573
processor
3rd Generation Intel Core i3-3120M Processor( 2.50GHz 1600MHz 3MB)
Operating system
Windows 8 64
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Memory
4.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
display
14.0" HD LED Glossy Multitouch 1366x768
hard drive
500GB 5400 RPM
Optical Drive
DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
Battery
4 Cell Lithium-Ion
Network Card
Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230
Bluetooth
Bluetooth Version 4.0
Warranty
One Year
Form Factor
Notebook
Camera
Integrated 720P HD Camera
HDMI
HDMI (Out)

Nov 29, 2006
I see 1366x768 in the link you supplied:

Hmm you right it does say that. But if you click tech specs it says 1600x900. I talked to a chat rep and he said they have both but are selling the 1600x900 model. Doesnt matter now i suppose went with a different cheaper laptop.

Still looks like a nice laptop though it it truly is 1600x900.

kbp

Oct 8, 2011
I just bought Lenovo G780...good specs, good computer...no support...Win8 preinstalled untill you deceide modify partitions on HDD or change to larger - blank HDD or to SSD.
Then, you'll have to purchase OS from Lenovo again....

Next day after warranty expires and HDD fails, you'll have to purchase not only new HDD but OS too...

They come (or at least mine did - E530 - 3 install disks with the Win8 CD)
Bought a 256 SSD and did a fresh install with the disks and all is up and running registered.

Gintaras

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2000

back to you too....

Don't listen to me and try for yourself(i'm not pushing anything):
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=HT076024

misleading info on Lenovo site: "if the hard drive is blank":

then, do google: Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing.

Other thoughts:

My G780 up an running without those 6 partitions Lenovo made...Laptop, specs are good, company - Lenovo, their techs are shitty...Thanks to Lenovo at least, they didn't forget Win8 key to leave in a BIOS....
I have now what I wanted...everything works so good, so far...without shelling out another $60 to Lenovo...

I had 3 Acer laptops and didn't had a chance to figure all out hard-way, never ever even had a need to contact Acer - didn't have any problems with their laptops...
Lenovo did put me kinda "out of balance"....

All I want, people to know what they can face....

Last edited:

kbp

Oct 8, 2011
I would bet ALL laptop vendors will be this way very soon. I am sure it is a "cost" thing for them as well as MicroSoft.
Im just waiting for someone to "hack" the bois so one would be able to read the OEM license key. . . . Any takers?

Anyway - glad you are up and running the way you want your system to be.

Gintaras

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2000
I would bet ALL laptop vendors will be this way very soon. I am sure it is a "cost" thing for them as well as MicroSoft.
Im just waiting for someone to "hack" the bois so one would be able to read the OEM license key. . . . Any takers?

Anyway - glad you are up and running the way you want your system to be.

I started to think the same - how to make computer enthusiasts life more difficult...but, neither Dell nor Lenovo or other companies employ people who posses best knowledge about computers...there always will be some, who will know better....and there will be people able to hack bios...

There was an expression: "When knowledge is outlawed, Outlaws will posses the Knowledge"....

I actually was looking for my Win8 key in a bios with the help of Hiren's Boot Disc...Just not hard enough...maybe just out of curiosity....