Lenovo IdeaPad S340 laptop stuck in infinite boot loop, and I am also unable to reinstall Windows from USB (stuck in "Greyed Out" UEFI Boot Mode)

justinthekid386

Jul 23, 2019
I just purchased this laptop, that is in need of repair.

The Lenovo IdeaPad S340 laptop is stuck in an infinite boot loop (and it shows Windows updating for maybe a split second during the boot loop), and I am also unable to reinstall Windows from from USB, because I am unable to change the UEFI setting to Legacy mode, because the Boot Mode is Greyed Out.

I Disabled "Secure Boot", but the "Boot Mode" is still Greyed Out (meaning that the UEFI setting can't be changed to Legacy made, so that I may boot from a Windows USB flash drive, to reinstall Windows).

The strange thing is that the laptop will allow me to change the boot option (when pressing f12 on boot up), using a live Linux Mint USB, so that I can use the laptop off of a live Linux Mint USB flash drive (which is what I am doing now).

The internal 256GB SSD, that is installed, is not showing up in Gparted (a linux Partition utility).

Anyways, sorry for going off topic.

The main thing that I wish I could figure out, is how I can get the laptop to allow me to change it to Legacy made in Bios.

I am hoping someone on here can help me.

I am not the original owner, so I do not think I could get the laptop repaired under Warranty.

I also opened up the laptop, so I may have voided the warranty anyways.

Thanks a lot for any thoughts.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Ok, a couple things.

1. In the BIOS exit menu, the option for OS optimization is the uefi only or legacy switch

OS optimization enabled == uefi only
OS optimization disabled == legacy operating systems allowed.

2. Sounds like the 256GB ssd may be toast. Hi F10 on startup to enter a diagnostic utility and confirm the ssd is available and passes.