Lenovo 110 17" Can I Replace Integrated Graphics With 2GB Graphics Card?

PS85

Feb 10, 2014
Strongly considering purchase of the the 17 inch Lenovo Ideapad 110 (80VK000DUS) with 6GB memory.
https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/lapto...series/Lenovo-IdeaPad-110-17IKB/p/88IP1000780

Thing is, it contains integrated video, which can use up to 4GB memory. I would like to beef up the memory by installing a 2GB video card internally instead of using the integrated graphics. Can I do this with this computer?

Here is the manual with the instructions for the motherboard, etc:
https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_110-17ikb_hmm_201609.pdf

Although this manual doesn't specifically say you can switch from the integrated video card to an aftermarket graphics card, I saw a different Ideapad manual which seemed to indicate I could do this. I'm fairly handy with electronics, can I do this with the Lenovo 110 17 incher?

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
What video card did you have in mind? I assume you know it would have to be a laptop version, which would be more expensive likely than worth it. IMO, if you need a laptop with better GPU, get one with a better GPU. And I am not a fan of those ideapads 100 series, they are pretty cheapy.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
This does have Intel HD 620 which is quite capable for a lot of older games.

I am only experienced with upgrading laptop dGPU's with MXM 3.0, as that is designed for upgrading down the road.

I have never installed a GPU in a laptop with only an iGPU.

What if you buy more RAM instead? I would get the cheapest 2x8gb sticks of 260 pin DDR4 that is compatible with your laptop. That is a very easy upgrade. Make sure the speed is compatible too.

A 2gb video card is a very poor addition anyways.

Edit: if you still want a dGPU, I would email Eurocom. They are passionate about laptop dGPUs.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I agree ^, just keep in mind that your lenovo only has 1 SODIMM slot, 4GB of memory are soldered on the motherboard.

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
Once upon I time, I replaced my GeForce Go 7800 with a GeForce Go 7900 GTX in my Dell Inspiron Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo). I think it cost me about $500 and was the biggest waste of money of all time.

Assuming that price is limiting your selection, this may be outside your budget, but you can get a laptop with an NVIDIA MX150 for $600 depending upon the seller/promotions. It's a significant boost over Intel graphics. To put it in perspective, I have that exact laptop, but with Kaby Lake i5/MX940 (cost $500 a year ago) which I game on occasionally and the MX150 is ~50% faster in games. Both GPUs are orders of magnitude faster than Intel graphics. The new AMD Ryzen laptops with Vega graphics are priced a bit higher, unfortunately, near the $800 mark. For that Ryzen price, for gaming, you can get an Intel+NVIDIA 1050 that is much, much faster.

I would not recommend upgrading your graphics - even if it were easy, the costs are generally too darn high. Do like @Shmee suggests and just pay more to get the performance you want/need.

Reactions: ZGR

Guru

May 5, 2017
Don't think its possible on that laptop, but you could email lenovo and ask them to make sure. Either way I don't think its worth it, buying a laptop graphics on the open market is hard, they are very rare and super expensive.

PS85

Feb 10, 2014
I would like to thank everyone who took the time to anwer. I am somewhat of anoob on this, and I have paid careful attention to what each of you has said. I have seen some MXM cards on ebay taken from HP's, which is the other brand I have been looking at. Not sure of what HP models outside of the Envys they would go on, though.

I've checked out the HP 17 ak000 thru ak 999 series, and I have the following questions. Does the graphic from the manual below mean that I can switch out an HP 17 ak000 thru ak999 A10 board with UMA graphics for a board with an A12 and discrete graphics. This pic is from the Maintenance manual, h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05471742

7EwqYpv.jpg
7EwqYpv.jpg