• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Legend of Grimrock 1 takes 19 hours to finish

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I picked up Legend of Grimrock 1 a while ago on GOG for about $2.50, and I recently finished it in 19 hours:

I found it a really enjoyable experience overall. My main gripes are that the UI doesn’t scale (and is slightly clunky to use in general), and also some of the puzzles were far too hard.

I’ll wait for the second one to go on special before picking it up.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
The UI scaling was my main gripe as well, as I wanted to downscale it since it doesn't support AA.

It's a really great game and does the genre throwback perfectly. It's pretty good looking too, nice use of lighting and solid art direction. I added some EAX reverb when I played it, since the entire thing takes place in a dungeon, really adds to the mood.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
It's pretty good looking too, nice use of lighting and solid art direction.
Yep, the graphics/aesthetics looked very nice. It really did feel like an underground dungeon.

I hated the last battle, but it's an amazing game, one of the best of the year.
I didn't expect that kind of an encounter, that's for sure.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I really enjoyed it as well. And I agree that some of the puzzles were too hard. Well, maybe "too hard" isn't the right term. I hate puzzles where the player is given NO clue on how to proceed. It's just trial and error. Trial and error. I don't have much patience for those. I know there was one of these in LoG that I gave up....and watched a youtube video. I'm not proud of that, but my time is too valuable......

Aug 29, 2015
You will probably hate the sequel tbh because I found the puzzles in the first game quite ok, but the second game there are a LOT of very obtuse puzzles, very unfun. Being more open world was nice though. My favourite game of this type is Might & Magic X: Legacy. I love that game so much...

ASK THE COMMUNITY