Legal Advice: Ex GF (of course)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: multiband8303
No she did not.

However, on a totally seperate topic, isn't post dating a check illegal?

Update: http://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=306915

It's not illegal, however, it doesn't matter, if the person signed the check - and has an amount - whenever it's brought to the bank, it's brought to the bank and deposited immediately.

So, I see the checks are not the problem, how about the lease and her half of the rent?

i was just trying to figure out why she would write you out 5 separate checks. i could only figure it was because she had post dated them and you were to deposit them after each date to insure the funds were available.

I think there are more serious penalties for writing a bad check over $500... that would explain multiple checks, but not 5 checks.

Speaking of which, you could call the police on her ass, OP.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
The reason she probably gave you five checks instead of one is because she REALLY wanted to screw you extra good on bounced check fees. Sure... that costs her money as well, but when has an angry woman ever been logical about money?

I love the Judge Judy idea myself. Financial reward plus public humiliation FTW!

PKPunk

Feb 26, 2001
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
The reason she probably gave you five checks instead of one is because she REALLY wanted to screw you extra good on bounced check fees. Sure... that costs her money as well, but when has an angry woman ever been logical about money?

I love the Judge Judy idea myself. Financial reward plus public humiliation FTW!

I was going to post the same thing. 5 Bounce back fees. I think it's 25 dollar fee at wells Fargo.

Also, you can probably only sue her for a month or 2 of lost rent, you can't just wait for the lease to run out and sue for x number of months. You have to mitigate your losses.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Originally posted by: classy
Dude for a thousand dollars I would just cut my losses and move on. I know it stinks but the hassle of trying to get money after a busted relationship isn't worth it.
Agree, 100%.

If she was so bad that you broke up with her, moved on, and are happy now, let it go.

Plus, do you have any written proof that she owes you the money? If not, and she disputes it, you will be wasting your time.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Ask nicely once, then screw her.

After screwing her, take her to court.

I can't believe you accepted checks from an ex-GF. That's not quite as bad as sending money Western Union to Nigeria, but close.

compnovice

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2005

Wouldn't have cost her anything if she had closed the a/c

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: mugs
Speaking of which, you could call the police on her ass, OP.

Exactly what I was thinking.
Bouncing checks is a criminal offense.

And, if she is convicted of a crime, I would think it would help any civil case you choose to pursue.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Coolone
Originally posted by: RichUK
Originally posted by: RadiclDreamer
'Cheque'

In america we say check, this is an american based site. Hence the CHECK spelling

SRSLY?

Yep.

I made that mistake when I moved to the States. I wrote "Cheque" on an english paper, and my english teacher was like "wtf?"

Also here in the States, cars drive on tires, not tyres :)

I'm an American. Back in 8th grade English, I used English spellings thoughout my essay being that it was for ENGLISH class and I was a smart ass. I got so many points off for spelling errors that I had a negative grade. Really made me angry considering they were technically spelled right.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: PokerGuy
Which state are you in? In some states small claims court can be very useful, in others it's pretty much worthless since you won't be able to collect on any judgement you might get.

SCC is definitely where you want to take something like this. Bring documentation to back up any of your claims. The cheques that bounced are evidence that she believed she owed you the money, so you've already pretty much proven your case that she owes the money.....

Minnesota, I live in the twin cities metro (if that matters)

Talk to Vito :)

grohl

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2004
cut your losses and haul ass. Best decision you'll ever make. Karma will catch up with the bitch.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Actually, now that I think about it, her writing you the checks pretty much is an admission in writing that she owes you the money, so you might have a case in court. You certainly have one since the checks bounced, but I still think you might be better off in the long run to just let it go.

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006
Originally posted by: grohl
cut your losses and haul ass. Best decision you'll ever make. Karma will catch up with the bitch.
I too would cut the lost & move on because it is not worth the headache.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: moshquerade

did she post date the checks?

irrelevant though, date on a check is really meaningless. Even cancelling a check is worthless as they can still clear and leave you stuck holding the bag.

Personally I avoid using them as much as possible as they have no real security and are actually more of a liability.

OP, you could take them to small claims. I'd just make sure you have your ducks in a row and everything documented. More than likely you are going to sound like the other 5 sorry sods in front of you just trying to be vindictive to an ex. Don't be those guys/girls.

If it's truly not about the money, I'd just chalk it up to a lesson learned. Even if you win she can have the last laugh and still not pay you. Winning in small claims is about 25% of the battle.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
see if you can get her tossed in jail for writing bad checks
find your county DA office and see if they are aggressive on check scammers

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I fully understand the point you were trying to make, and the assumption you made; to me, that would make the most sense. However, this is not the case. I don't understand either, it's best to just shrug your shoulders and scratch your head here ;)

It also maximizes the fees you'd get hit with if they bounced. To some they no longer care how much is stacked up against them as they are not paying anyway. To the person that does pay their bills this adds up.

It's the same way when a roommate decides to stop paying rent. The landlord could give a crap where the money comes from as far as he cares and legally each one in the unit is responsible up to the full amount of rent and encumbrances taken on. It's the crappiest thing to do in a break up as either person usually could have elected to move out.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002

Just leave her a voice mail or send her a text stating you were unfaithfull during your relationship and recently tested positive for HIV. Let her know she should get herself tested just in case...

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Coolone
Originally posted by: RadiclDreamer
'Cheque'

In america we say check, this is an american based site. Hence the CHECK spelling

SRSLY?

Yep.

I made that mistake when I moved to the States. I wrote "Cheque" on an english paper, and my english teacher was like "wtf?"

Also here in the States, cars drive on tires, not tyres :)

In his defence, he was just trying to be colourful.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Alistar7

Just leave her a voice mail or send her a text stating you were unfaithfull during your relationship and recently tested positive for HIV. Let her know she should get herself tested just in case...

If she's saavy and you aren't HIV+ nor can provide test results she may have a lawsuit against you on that recording.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

wait, the person cashing a bounced check has to pay a fee?

what kind of BS is that? it's not my fault the other person didn't have the money.