Question Left side of gpu not going all the way in new mobo

rounakr94

Aug 3, 2020
The circled part of the gpu is not going in all the way and is staying out by approx a mm. So I have to bend in the cabinet mounts to screw it in place properly.
I changed my motherboard to an atx x570 today from an atx x370. The gpu went in all the way in the x370.
Is it because of manufacturing tolerance of the motherboard standoff holes being slightly off in asrock vs gigabyte ?
Also will it be okay to run it like this? The pc boots fine and heaven benchmark on all ultra 8x passed with flying colours. Only issue is that the left edge stays up by approx 1mm, but I think its making proper contact inside. I tried correcting it but it still stays the same. One thing I noticed is that the motherboard stand-off holes are a bit bigger on the old gigabyte.

New Mobo: x570 phantom gaming 4
Old mobo: ax-x370 gaming
Case is same as before and gpu is same one too, Zotac 1660s twin fan.

IMG-20200803-004701.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It is a little bit worry-some. It could lead to a PCI-E short and burnout, if something gets too out-of-line.

Sometimes, with cards, you have to bend or un-bend the prong end that goes into the board near the edge. Different chassis and mobos and cards have different tolerances.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
When I have seen this happens its the fault of the case. Now in your situation you have the same case for both motherboards. Its possible if you loosen the mounting screws for the mobo, you could side it towards or away from the back panel and see if the card slides in better. Kind of sounds like a build up of tolerances.

rounakr94

Aug 3, 2020
When I have seen this happens its the fault of the case. Now in your situation you have the same case for both motherboards. Its possible if you loosen the mounting screws for the mobo, you could side it towards or away from the back panel and see if the card slides in better. Kind of sounds like a build up of tolerances.
Tried to loosen screws and shift the motherboard towards the I/O, didnt work. Maybe case standoff position is a bit off and asrock having smaller holes gives issues and the standoffs dont line up properly. I tried pushing the mobo towards the I/O but that didnt work and the screws go out of alignment with the case standoffs. Now i am thinking either its my case issue or rather motherboard issue.
But in the end GPU works properly now and no BSOD or issues so far.

Last edited:

rounakr94

Aug 3, 2020
It is a little bit worry-some. It could lead to a PCI-E short and burnout, if something gets too out-of-line.

Sometimes, with cards, you have to bend or un-bend the prong end that goes into the board near the edge. Different chassis and mobos and cards have different tolerances.
It was working and sitting perfectly with the x370 motherboard in the same case, its only with this x570 that it is giving issues.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Glad its functioning for you now. I have an AsRock X570 Steel Legend in my O11 Dynamic, and had no issues with my video card fitting. But tolerances can vary from case to case, and board to board. You get one that is out one way, and the other that is out the other way, and you can run into things like this.

viivo

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
Similar issue with an ASUS X570 board in a BeQuiet! case. Previous non-ASUS Z370 and Z390 boards had no problems. Pretty sure it's due to varying PCB thicknesses which, if true, is surprising that such small differences can manifest so noticeably.

viivo

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
How did you solve it or are you running it like that?

It's in line behind a few other PC fixes, but I think different standoffs could help. I have some that are practically identical to the default/standard in height until measured close up side by side, and a small difference like that may be what's needed to compensate.

rounakr94

Aug 3, 2020
It's in line behind a few other PC fixes, but I think different standoffs could help. I have some that are practically identical to the default/standard in height until measured close up side by side, and I think a small difference like that is what's needed to compensate.
So it is a standoff issue. All my case standoffs are pre-installed or rather welded to the case. So I need to run the gpu like this only.
But as others said its not an issue as 95% of it is inside the slot, if it were to short out it would have done so on the first boot.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I've had this problem but its always been because of what @VirtualLarry suggested. The back plates "tooth" that goes into the notch on is not lined up properly and is obstructing full insertion. Easy to fix with a pair of pliers to bend the tooth into a better position.