Left click in Google not working

lenjack

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
WXP, SP3, IE8, all updates. When I'm logged in to Google, anything I left click on doesn't work. I need to right click and choose "open" or "open in new window" to get results. When I'm NOT logged in to Google, left click works fine. Any ideas?

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
Don't know about google.but did you try looking into IE8 option setting.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Have you tried it with a different mouse?

lenjack

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Different mouse, different trackball. Removed IE8 which left IE6...same deal. Reinstalled IE8...no joy.

I can live with this, but it's slightly annoying.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Do you have any other Google products installed? eg, Google Toolbar, Earth, Desktop?

Can you try another browser?

Have you changed any ActiveX settings recently?

Can you create a new user in Windows, log in to that account, and test it there?

lenjack

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
do you have any other google products installed? Eg, google toolbar, earth, desktop? No

can you try another browser? Safari and chrome work fine

have you changed any activex settings recently? No

can you create a new user in windows, log in to that account, and test it there?
don't know how.

lenjack

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
New user account solved the problem, but to use this account, I would need to reinstall everything from my regular account, unless there is a better way to do it.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
New user account solved the problem, but to use this account, I would need to reinstall everything from my regular account, unless there is a better way to do it.

OK, then there is definitely a problem not with IE8 itself, but with the personalized settings with your normal user. I recommend exporting your bookmarks to a file so you can import them to the new profile later, then reset your Internet Explorer settings. Verify that the problem is gone, then import your bookmarks back and you're done.