Leaving for college tomorrow

Killerme33

Jan 17, 2006
So tomorrow I will be moving into a dorm, I just can't seem to believe it is really coming. College always seemed so far away, but now its here. Granted I will only be a 20-30 minute drive away from home, but this will still be the first time I have lived on my own, though I will have a roommate. Classes start on Monday then I will officially be a "college boy."

Anyone else going off for the first time?

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
Originally posted by: blurredvision
Good luck man. Just do your best to make your school work come before drinking and partying.

ah, sound advice that very few people take :)

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
just make sure to balance studying and partying. dont deny one for the other

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Leave your virginity at the door, keep your ego in check, and don't let beer pressure gets to you.

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
Get drunk and high, and bang every chick that talks to you. I did, and now I'm a sanitation engineer.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
GO TO CLASS. DO NOT MISS A SINGLE ONE.

You may laugh at this now, but this is by far the most important advice to give to a college student.

That, and if Light Beer and Ice cost the same, you always go with Ice. Gets you more fvcked up.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: BigJ

You may laugh at this now, but this is by far the most important advice to give to a college student.

That, and if Light Beer and Ice cost the same, you always go with Ice. Gets you more fvcked up.

That deserves a toast...

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005

Best advice ever...

FYI, I started skipping practically every class half-way through the first semester of the first year. Long story short, I was 1% from being "forced" into a 1 year vacation. ~Freedom was too much after having never skipped a single "real" class in highschool. Anyways, been going to every class for past 2 years, and still qualify for grad school enrollment now.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Ahhh - i miss those days. To be so young again.

Going to class is actually important. A lot of people don't do well that first semester because they skip class alot. Some don't get to come back for another semester.

Killerme33

Jan 17, 2006
Thank you all for the advice. I am not too worried about over partying, but my suitemates are already planning on buying drinks for the first night. One of my suitemates has pretty much told me he is bringing a bong and something to put in said bong. Should be an exciting way to start off.

Thank you BigJ, I have heard from you and numerous others that going to class is the most important thing you can do, although that seems pretty obvious to me.

Flyback

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2006
Whatever you do, make sure you get out the first week and party like crazy. Go to every event, even if you're tired (hell, especially if you're tired--then you know that you're doing it right). It's the only way you can meet people.

After the first few weeks and once things have settled it becomes more difficult to meet people. Once everyone has met up and partied a few times the barrier is more difficult. Even if you don't enjoy partying you need to do this otherwise time at college will suck (you won't have nearly as many friends as you could have).

It isn't anything to get worried about, but just make sure you introduce yourself and meet as many people as you can in the first few weeks. One simple way to make sure you're doing it right is that you're never in your dorm room unless you're sleeping.

After the first few weeks you can slow down the partying and take the academics more seriously. During the first 2-3 weeks you likely won't get bogged down with any work (most people aren't). Certainly go to class, like BigJ said, though.

Edit: I don't mean to suggest that you drink every night, just go to the events. Sober works better with lots of women (you don't sound like a retard) too.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Killerme33
Thank you all for the advice. I am not too worried about over partying, but my suitemates are already planning on buying drinks for the first night. One of my suitemates has pretty much told me he is bringing a bong and something to put in said bong. Should be an exciting way to start off.

Thank you BigJ, I have heard from you and numerous others that going to class is the most important thing you can do, although that seems pretty obvious to me.

The thing is, you don't just stop going to class all together out of nowhere. First it's "Oh, I'm not going to go to my 8am Friday class so I can watch football and drink beer with my friends on Thursday night."

Then you start missing that Friday class more. Then you decide not to go to class one Thursday cause you're hungover from $1 drafts at your local campus shithole. And then it spirals out of control.

I was lucky enough that my first semester I didn't need to go to class to pull a 3.0. I was real fvcking close to failing everything though because of procrastinating. Stimulants were pretty much the only reason I was able to swing that 3.0. After that first semester, I decided it wasn't happening again.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001

The thing is, you don't just stop going to class all together out of nowhere. First it's "Oh, I'm not going to go to my 8am Friday class so I can watch football and drink beer with my friends on Thursday night."

Then you start missing that Friday class more. Then you decide not to go to class one Thursday cause you're hungover from $1 drafts at your local campus shithole. And then it spirals out of control.

I was lucky enough that my first semester I didn't need to go to class to pull a 3.0. I was real fvcking close to failing everything though because of procrastinating. Stimulants were pretty much the only reason I was able to swing that 3.0. After that first semester, I decided it wasn't happening again.

agreed.

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000