Leather Interior. How to properly maintain it?

Aug 16, 2001
I need your help guys!

How do I take care of my leather interior in my car?
What are the best products to use?

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
I've always used stuff like Eagle One leather cleaner and conditioner. I'm sure there's better stuff out there, but this has worked fine for me. Apply a few times per year.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: FrustratedUser
Thank you.
Is it like 'shoeshine' for cars?

Not really (since it doesn't have any pigment in it). Just a mild cleaner and then a somewhat oily goop that you rub in with your hands, allow to soak in a bit and then wipe off the excess. Basically just keeps the leather from drying out and getting crappy-looking. Works well on coats and such as well. Any Pep-Boys or other auto store should have it.

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
I'll point you to the best website on the net - Autopia. :)
All your detailing questions will be answered... I've learned a lot since I first joined there.

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
Light tinting on your windows and regular use of a car cover/windshield screen will also extend the lifetime of your interior above and beyond any product treatments you use.

Aug 16, 2001
Bookmarked your link!
I have covered parking so it sits in the shade whenever it's not driven.

Thanks for the advice.

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
You can download the Autopia E-book if you'd like... one of the free chapters (chapter 5) covers interior detailing and has a section on leather care.

Feb 10, 2000
The leather protectant sold by Zaino is particularly nice because it has leather oil in it, so it tends to revive the leather smell of your car. It also includes UV-resistant agents to prevent UV damage.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Lexol makes a good product, they have a pH balanced cleaner and a leather conditioner. Both work pretty well. Best thing to do is to apply the conditioner on a hot day so the leather really absorbs it, and apply it with your bare hands.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Don_Vito
The leather protectant sold by Zaino is particularly nice because it has leather oil in it, so it tends to revive the leather smell of your car. It also includes UV-resistant agents to prevent UV damage.

Is there any way to order Zaino online?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Good advice on the tinting. Leather doesn't like sun. And good that you're maintaining it - used cars with poorly maintained leather look like absolute crap since most people don't bother.

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
I do all my leather 2 or 3 times per year, minimum. This is my first car with a leather interior and I did learn a lot from the Autopia website too. Truth is, paying any kind of attention to your leather will keep it safe from going to $hit.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Jellomancer
Originally posted by: Don_Vito

Is there any way to order Zaino online?

No, I think you have to mail-order it. Their polish products are supposed to be the best in the world, but to this point all I have used is the leather conditioner.