Learning MATH. (A stolen Brutuskend JOKE?)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: ajpa123
I like the good old days when kids had no access to calcuators.. Calculators are instruments of the devil.. lol (making our kids rely on a machine rather than their noggin)

I for one, loved doing long division and multiplication.. do they even teach that anymore ?
I had a great math teacher that inspired and made it fun and interesting (a.k.a passion to teach, and knowing how to teach well).. if you don't get math when you're first exposed to it... your screwed i guess.

Cliffnotes: Calculators are making kids stupid :Q

I teach math... I couldn't agree with you more... and that joke makes me cringe, because it's close to the truth sometimes. (Although, I also find the joke funny) "if you don't get math when you're first exposed to it... you're screwed I guess."

I can't figure out how some students will *ever* get math. Imagine kids in 9th grade where they don't "get" 9x + -2x = 7x.
Because, they don't understand that 9+-2 is the same as 9-2. (no matter how many times I tell them, no matter how many ways I explain it to them using excellent analogies... Oddly, they're good with the analogies, but can't do it out of context. ie You've overdrafted your account 12 dollars, write a check for 4 dollars, and deposit 8 dollars. What's the status of your account - they do that fine, but ask them -12 - 4 + 8 and there's no guessing how many different answers they'll find, unless they get to use their calculator.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: HonkeyDonk
And I should add, it's not "mocking the past", it's a closet-politically-hypocondraic conservative's half-assed attempt at mocking educational reform.

Am i the only one who had a confused look when reading that sentence ? :Q

i did haha.

Seriously tho, I doubt he talks like that in real life. I bet it took him like 20 min to just think of that "witty" sentence to make himself sound all smart and shiz.

Yep, you got me. I take a significant portion of time out of my life to impress a group of pimply faced geeks on an internet forum.

Way to be, champ.

HonkeyDonk

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Orsorum
And I should add, it's not "mocking the past", it's a closet-politically-hypocondraic conservative's half-assed attempt at mocking educational reform.

Am i the only one who had a confused look when reading that sentence ? :Q

i did haha.

Seriously tho, I doubt he talks like that in real life. I bet it took him like 20 min to just think of that "witty" sentence to make himself sound all smart and shiz.

Yep, you got me. I take a significant portion of time out of my life to impress a group of pimply faced geeks on an internet forum.

Way to be, champ.

Thanks! I love being champ! :)

Crappopotamus

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2002
some kids are stupid. ;) i hated analogies. BAH. theyre almost insulting. like the friggen triangle method they tried to teach to rearrange equations. i mean COMEON.

Originally posted by: DrPizza
I like the good old days when kids had no access to calcuators.. Calculators are instruments of the devil.. lol (making our kids rely on a machine rather than their noggin)

I for one, loved doing long division and multiplication.. do they even teach that anymore ?
I had a great math teacher that inspired and made it fun and interesting (a.k.a passion to teach, and knowing how to teach well).. if you don't get math when you're first exposed to it... your screwed i guess.

Cliffnotes: Calculators are making kids stupid :Q

I teach math... I couldn't agree with you more... and that joke makes me cringe, because it's close to the truth sometimes. (Although, I also find the joke funny) "if you don't get math when you're first exposed to it... you're screwed I guess."

I can't figure out how some students will *ever* get math. Imagine kids in 9th grade where they don't "get" 9x + -2x = 7x.
Because, they don't understand that 9+-2 is the same as 9-2. (no matter how many times I tell them, no matter how many ways I explain it to them using excellent analogies... Oddly, they're good with the analogies, but can't do it out of context. ie You've overdrafted your account 12 dollars, write a check for 4 dollars, and deposit 8 dollars. What's the status of your account - they do that fine, but ask them -12 - 4 + 8 and there's no guessing how many different answers they'll find, unless they get to use their calculator.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Here's another one:

Divide 14 sugar cubes between 3 cups of coffee so that each cup has an odd number of sugar cubes in it.

Answer:
1, 1, and 12

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
I liked the original joke. No matter how many ways you slice it, it is the truth. I actually just did a paper for my Government class topic "Should English become the official language of the United States", and if the country goes in it's current matter, what the end of Brutuskend's joke is will be true.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Amorphus
Here's another one:

Divide 14 sugar cubes between 3 cups of coffee so that each cup has an odd number of sugar cubes in it.

Answer:
1, 1, and 12
Ok, I officially admit that I don't get it. 3 odds makes an odd, no matter what, so there's no right answer to that question.

HonkeyDonk

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
Originally posted by: ViRGE
Here's another one:

Answer:
1, 1, and 12
Ok, I officially admit that I don't get it. 3 odds makes an odd, no matter what, so there's no right answer to that question.

yeah i don't think I see the answer to this one yet...

I was thinking since 12 has an odd number in it, the 1, it's satisfies the "each cup has an odd number" part...but I'm sure that's not right.

edit: or maybe having 12 cubes in the first place is odd in itself, odd meaning that it's strange, not normal/typical for a cup of coffee to have that many cubes in it.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Here's another one:

Answer:
1, 1, and 12

I was thinking since 12 has an odd number in it, the 1, it's satisfies the "each cup has an odd number" part...but I'm sure that's not right.

edit: or maybe having 12 cubes in the first place is odd in itself, odd meaning that it's strange, not normal/typical for a cup of coffee to have that many cubes in it.
The answer to the original question is that there is no answer. An average student nowadays won't state that.

HonkeyDonk

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
Originally posted by: KraziKid
Here's another one:

Answer:
1, 1, and 12

The answer to the original question is that there is no answer. An average student nowadays won't state that.

actually, you're wrong. I just googled it and the answer is that the 12 cubes of sugar is considered "odd" since most ppl do not normally put that many cubes in it. It fits the definition of odd.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Here's another one:

Answer:
1, 1, and 12

The first thought that came to mind was that that is impossible, then I approached it from a more metaphorical angle, that you really can't have 12 sugar cubes in one cup of coffee, so that is the last "odd" number.

TJN23

Golden Member
May 4, 2002
español va a ser el idioma oficial de los estados unidos dentro de poco....ya verán

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Here's another one:

Answer:
1, 1, and 12

actually, you're wrong. I just googled it and the answer is that the 12 cubes of sugar is considered "odd" since most ppl do not normally put that many cubes in it. It fits the definition of odd.
Eh, I was approaching it from a mathematical point of view, not a metaphysical one.

HonkeyDonk

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
Here's another one:

Answer:
1, 1, and 12

Eh, I was approaching it from a mathematical point of view, not a metaphysical one.

indeed you were.

element

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
how about 13,1,0 or 7,7,0...that last dude that likes no sugar in his coffee is an oddball, I mean come on that stuff is bitter as hell, how does anyone drink that crap straight like that?

BTW, what's wrong with splitting a cube up into fractions? Then pick an odd fraction. like 1/3 or something. So you need to state whole number of cubes for the prob to be the way you want it (no answer).
Try this, when you state the problem, tell them the number of cubes is quantized, see what they think of that hee hee.

:confused:

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Here's another one:

Answer:
1, 1, and 12

Alright, I caught up late. The second half was more or less:

Riposte: But 12 isn't odd!

Answer: It certainly is an odd number of sugar cubes to put in a cup of coffee! ;)

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
This same sort of thing happened to me at a Whataburger earlier this week where I think I gave money to get three quarters back...

She stared at the money, stared at me for a minute, then angrily asked, "What I owe you?"

Looking back, I should have said $20...

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
This same sort of thing happened to me at a Whataburger earlier this week where I think I gave money to get three quarters back...

She stared at the money, stared at me for a minute, then angrily asked, "What I owe you?"

Looking back, I should have said $20...

This is exactly what a short change artist does. He walks into a store, goes to buy an item then does some trick to confuse the cashier (like you did). When they are confused enough the short change artist coaxes them into giving them back more change than they are supposed to get. There are a lot of variations on this scheme but this is the basic idea.

You are well on your way to becoming a short change artist I see. Keep up the good work. ;)