Leading Egyptian cleric blames Saddam

Jimbo

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Suicide "allowed"

Though appointed by the Egyptian Government, Sheikh Tantawi is seen as the spiritual leader of about one billion Sunni Muslims - who include supporters of Saddam Hussein's regime.

Whoever wants to go to support the Iraqi people, I welcome that

The cleric gave his blessing to any volunteers who wanted to help Iraqis fight the invaders, even potential suicide attackers.

"Whoever wants to go to support the Iraqi people, I welcome that, I welcome that, I welcome that," Sheikh Tantawi said.

"I say to him go with peace and I wish you well. We do not prevent anyone from going to help those who are facing injustice."

He added: "Martyr operations against the invading forces are permitted under religious law."

I guess he never saw that "Religion of Peace" memo. :Q

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
How do you reconcile
Sheikh Tantawi said the war was not a crusade against Islam and condemned Saddam Hussein for not accepting a call from the United Arab Emirates to resign in order to prevent war.
with
The cleric gave his blessing to any volunteers who wanted to help Iraqis fight the invaders, even potential suicide attackers.
?

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
I notice that he, like all the other clerics who scream for death and destruction, is not volunteering to put himself in harms way. Interesting, very interesting.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
This is why we have separation between church and state. It is as Sun Tzu said in the art of war...the general who has God and religion backing him will have a strong army. Religious leaders are dangerous because disobeying them is disobeying God, for this doctrine to work the religious leader has to be infallible (the pope, or an Imam if you ascribe to either of those religions)

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
AND.. what is so disgusting about Arab countries is their Govt and Law are both based ONLY on religion and they have Religious Clerics who issue Religious backed Fatwas WITH GOVT SUPPORT because they are the same thing.

I am glad I live in America

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by: dahunan
AND.. what is so disgusting about Arab countries is their Govt and Law are both based ONLY on religion and they have Religious Clerics who issue Religious backed Fatwas WITH GOVT SUPPORT because they are the same thing.

I am glad I live in America

Me too, Bro. Me too.