Lead, Follow, or Get out of the way

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Does that mean we can put them in a capsule and put them to sleep for 500 years as well?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Moonbeam, what is with all the petty insults??

"Hey stupid ass,"

"You are a liar. "

"You are a nattering child."

"What, my dear imbecile"

What's with the 'bigots suck' slam?
You like bigots??

I created that sig in response to the thread about gays being able to adopt in Florida after a bigot came in and started to post BS about gays not being fit parents.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
1. The Democratic congress is acting responsibly
The responsible thing is no government intervention at this point, but perhaps the Democratic led Congress needs to synchronize their decision with the Obama campaign...which is calling for significant government intervention...hell, even Biden waffled on the AIG bailout just the other day.

2. No problem can be solved without knowing the true nature of the problem before you come up with a solution.
How can they not understand the true nature of the problem, given that this problem has been brewing for the last year, and analysts have been warning of this scenario for the past three years?

Congressional inaction is what got us into this mess...granted, there isn't much they can do now besides throw more money at the problem.

But this story does provide the McCain campaign with a lovely talking point...merge it with Biden's comments on the AIG bailout, and it certainly paints a compelling counter argument that the Democrats aren't any better suited to manage the economy.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
This problem has been brewing since before the democrats even took control in 06. Two years into this and they dont have any idea what the problem is?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Turn on the news.

Anyways I dont know what they could do anyways. So I cant completely fault them for trying to do anything anyways. I suppose they could try to reverse some of the acts that put this all in motion.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Lets call a spade a spade, its up to the President to lead on these type of problem. The executive branch has all the information gathering capacity, they are supposed see the problem coming, to brief the President, the President is supposed to bring the problem to the attention of congress, then congress can pass the laws that will address the problem before a small problem turns into a huge problem.

This type normal process did not occur during the GWB administration, GWB hid it from congress, and now GWB&co cannot blame congress when GWB&co, even at this late date, choose not to bother to consult congress.

Republirats, keep your revisionist history to yourself, because you are the only ones stupid enough to believe it.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Sounds like the perfect talking point for the McCain campaign.

"Faced with the worse financial crisis in two decades the Democrats in congress have decided that they best way to handle the problem is to go home."

It reenforces two things:
1. The Democrat congress is worthless.
2. The government is NOT the solution to all of our problems.

This ever so slightly Democrat controlled congress are heroes of America.

They have stopped the America destroying rubber stamping that Bush and the Republicans did for 6 continuous years of which the fallout from that rubber stamping is being felt now.

I only hope that somehow the Dems maintain a lead in congress after November.

If McCain wins and Republicans gain full control again I guarantee it is the absolute end of America.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Moonbeam, what is with all the petty insults??

"Hey stupid ass,"

"You are a liar. "

"You are a nattering child."

"What, my dear imbecile"

What's with the 'bigots suck' slam?
You like bigots??

I created that sig in response to the thread about gays being able to adopt in Florida after a bigot came in and started to post BS about gays not being fit parents.

I love bigots. I don't believe in their bigotry. But why do you call them names and get excited when I called some similar bigots bad names?

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
I believe some in congress have chosen option 4: set up a toll booth of your own for those passing through on the way to progress. Enrich yourself. I believe we do need some term limits. Some members simply sit around collecting a paycheck until rigamortis sets in.

Besides, congress is in the pickle where althrough the dems do have a majority, they still have to filter everything they do through the republican filter of the fillibuster, and then hope it doesn't get vetoed. The dems may be in charge, but they don't really have control of the overall direction. The republicans can easily (and successfully) put the brakes on any progress the dems are striving for.

ModerateRepZero

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2006
/headdesk

The REASON the Federal Reserve exists is to handle monetary policy. If there is so much power and authority concentrated in this one agency, it's because the FR was intended to be non-political, and because it and neither the executive branch (President/Administration) nor the legislative branch (Congress) take the blame if they meddle in the economy.

Congress certainly *can* hold hearings on the subprime mortgage mess, the necessity of a bailout, and similar concerns. Plus they are perfectly free to propose legislation to fix the current housing or financial mess or to try preventing the same or similar problems from creeping up again. But why should they stick their neck out and attempt to get involved in something that is neither in their area of interest (regulating macroeconomic policy) or competence (Federal Reserve has authority)?