MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Well, it seems I've joined that exclusive club that no one wants to belong to. I've been diagnosed with renal cancer with a side of brain cancer. I'll be having surgery and on going treatment probably at the Mayo in Minnesota. Not feeling bad and no related aches and pains yet but, it's quite a load to process. People have already stepped up to give us a place to stay while at the Mayo. Good people. Welcome to being mortal.

UPDATE: 3/21/19 Well, it seems I've got another curve ball to deal with. Last weekend my leg ulcer took a turn for the worst. I went to my plastic surgeon appt. He sent me to the hospital to be admitted. I have a staph infection in my left ankle bone. After talking with the vascular surgeons, it's been decided to amputate. Due to other complications it's going to be above the knee. Monday is the big day. I've got some serious rehab ahead.
UPDATE: 6/6/19
I finally got my new leg after waiting 3 weeks for a plastic socket to be remade. Rehab to learn to walk again (The fourth time) begins Monday.

Last edited:

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
There really are no good words. We will all be thinking of you and hoping that you come through the treatments with flying colors. Please keep us informed.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Wishing you the best. Make sure you keep in touch. Looking forward to the good word :^)

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
Wow, really sorry to hear...at least you should get excellent care @ the Mayo clinic. If you don't mind me asking, how was it diagnosed? Were you having symptoms or just found through regular check up?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Damn, I can't imagine what's going through your mind right now. Thanks for letting us know. Hang in there and do what you must do to cope and recover.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Wow, really sorry to hear...at least you should get excellent care @ the Mayo clinic. If you don't mind me asking, how was it diagnosed? Were you having symptoms or just found through regular check up?
I've had a number of episodes over the last two months where my procedural thinking was impaired, visual difficulty where my hand isn't where my brain thinks it is, some difficulty with balance and, problems expressing what's going on. The episodes lasted from 20 minutes to several hours. The last prompted me to see the doctor to get a direction on what could be going on. It's kind of snow balled.

Reactions: Roger Wilco

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Well...damn. :(

Sorry to hear this. Best of luck with your treatment.

Nov 8, 2012
How old are you? I should really start getting those types of tests done =[

Best of luck, hope it was caught quickly.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Damn, man. You've always been one of my more favorite OT posters . . . grounded, contributory and smart. Grace happens. Unbidden and outrageous grace can just happen, and produce what we call miracles. May the grace of all that is good and true rain down on you, my fine online friend.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
I am so sorry to hear Magnus.
Here's to hoping/wishing/praying your treatment has a full recovery for you.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
MagnusTheBrewer ..your name is a pain in the ass to spell out, just so you know. You got this man, I love your posts and I know for a fact you'll beat this bullshit.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
MagnusTheBrewer ..your name is a pain in the ass to spell out, just so you know. You got this man, I love your posts and I know for a fact you'll beat this bullshit.
Some folks have learned to shorten it to MTB. Thanks for the well wishes.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
fuck that shit, you are in my thoughts until I hear you are okay.

Chocu1a

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2009
I don't know you, but I wish you well. Stay positive. It's a lot to process, but you can get through.